Follow

Nightwing & Flamebird

Team » Nightwing & Flamebird appears in 63 issues.

Best known as legendary heroes from Krypton and the "Batman and Robin of the bottled city of Kandor". Most seen in the Silver age, the mantles of the Nightwing and Flamebird duo has been used by several individuals throughout history.

Stephanie Brown as Flamebird to Dick Grayson's Nightwing?

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmoothJammin

I think it makes perfect sense.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By fodigg

Flamebird (Bette Kane) is kind of still kicking around over in Batwoman as a support character so it doesn't really work. Plus, Steph has a perfectly original and valid ID with Spoiler. I'd rather see that become a household name.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

yea Flamebird is to Batwoman as Robin is to Batman now

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmoothJammin

@spiderbat87: @fodigg:

Didn't know. Thanks for the update guys

(To be frank, I've never really liked the spoiler identity)

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Kairan1979

Honestly, I'd prefer the new Nightwing/Flamebird duo, with Dick Grayson as Nightwing.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmoothJammin

@Kairan1979:

After reading Bryan Miller's Batgirl, I found myself growing weirdly attached to Stephanie Brown in ways I hadn't ever felt for the character as Robin or Spoiler. Now with the reboot and talks of new beginnings, I don't like that the one character in the bat family who might have gained the most exposure/development in recent yrs is once again tossed aside. Steph Browns character is lost in the shuffle and it's seriously going to hurt her. I haven't read up on my Batwoman like I maybe should have, but I do know that a play on Nightwing/Flamebird(in Gotham) is too good to pass up. I say ditch Bette Kane FB in the reboot. The name "Spoiler" is not easy on the ears and the get-up she wears may be tackier.

For me because, I ardently believe Dick Grayson is every bit the teacher Batman is. Dick was there for Tim and Damian when they desperately needed a mentor/friend, Tim when he lost his parents and best friend and even before that. Damian after he lost his father and parted ways with the Al Ghuls. Stephanie, Cassie and Jason weren't so fortunate. This go-around if Stephanie is allowed to enter Graysons circle like so many other young heroes often have, maybe both can learn from the other in life's lessons and grow.. it would give whatever book they're in some punch. Possibly set up another sweet dynamic to parallel Batman and Robin as well.

With the energy wasted on writing a craptastic Red Hood and Outlaws DC could have instead given us Nightwing and Flamebird with occasional tie-ins to Batgirl and B&R(wow just imagining an encounter between those duos O.O it'd be like a clash of light and dark!!) Steph is so much like Dick is, I can see the tone of the book being fun and unicorns <3 <3 and Damian getting oh so jelly xD

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Billy Batson

Interesting.
    BB

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By damswedon

Bryan Q Miller has said he is working on a DCnU book. If DC were smart that book would be a Steph book. Hell if they were really smart they would make it a Steph, Wendy and Cassandra book, but that is just my inner fan boy talking.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmoothJammin

@damswedon: Wendy??

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By damswedon

@SmoothJammin: Wendy Harris. One of the major themes of Bryan's Batgirl was the similarities and differences between the second generation (Dick and Barbara) and the third (Damian, Steph and Wendy). Barbara saw herself in both Steph and Wendy. Steph was her as Batgirl and Wendy was her as Oracle, She wanted to essentially be the mother to them that Bruce never was to her and the the same goes for Dick and Damian.

Wendy got the short end of the stick before the DCnU was announced when DC's management told Bryan to make her gone for a while. Let me put on my tinfoil hat for second and say, I think they did that in hopes that we would forget that there was another disabled character missing in the DCnU. They knew they were going to get flak for taking Barbara out of the chair and they wanted to hide the fact that another wheelchair user had vanished.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmoothJammin

@damswedon: Ah that's right I remember her now! See I picked up Batgirl Rising, and random monthlies from there on out but yea I think the powers that be did Oracle and Wendy pretty bogus. I'm not a huge Batgirl bandwagoner (I've read yr 1 for Babs and Deathwish trade, no BoP :( ) but idk Barbara Gordon feels like a step back. The true fans never forget. I miss the animosity between Steph and Damian lol, the whole camelot age of the batfam. It was cute. Damn reboots :l

Nightwing and Flamebird. Hey it could happen.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By damswedon

@SmoothJammin: I've thought that everything Grant Morrison has come up with since deciding Bruce could travel through time and return to the present without being turned into a maniac has been a step back. Batman gambits cheapen character choice because it makes the feel predetermined, Cassandra's choice to drop the Batgirl title was an important decision that she made. Saying Batman told her to do it makes her seem like a tool following orders.

As for Barbara, I'm going to give Gail Simone another issue or two before I decide, but I just hope she remembers that Barbara's Batgirl mostly appeared in Detective Comic being a detective. But DC for some unknown reason decided to start Detective Comics off with a Joker story and All-Star Western with a detective story set in a city so everything is up in the air.

Avatar image for blacklightning13
    Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Blacklightning13

I think a sidekick for nightwing would be good but you cant make it nightwing and flamebird otherwise its to superman and kryptonian. I was thinking Phoenix as the name and a new character because stephanie brown is all ready spoiler. Although I don't really like spoiler i think they should stay with it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#14  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

If they started missing with the Batwoman characters I would go nuts

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By COBRAMORPH

Nightwing should start getting his own family of characters.

But I think Stephanie should stay as Spoiler, & Bette as Flamebird. Barbara as Oracle.

A major problem is all of this constant switching around of a Super's idinity. Thats part of the reason why Batman, & Superman are at the top of DC, & Aquaman & WW are right below them, along with the FLash & GL. GL & Flash could have been higher up if it were always the same guy in the costume. But no, its just a jumbled mess for outside fans trying to catch up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.