the_mighty_monarch's Nightwing #17 - The Long Week review

The Other Duo

Ok, right off the bat I have to say that I like this cover, but I'm wondering why it doesn't have a 'Death of the Family Aftermath' label if Red Hood and the Outlaws has one. This issue is entirely focused on Nightwing dealing with the fallout of The Joker's attack, so what's the deal with that?

This is really an issue for those who've been reading since before the New 52. Kyle Higgins works closely with Scott Snyder, we know, and he's been continuing some of the Dick Grayson-centric plot elements from The Black Mirror, like Sonia Branch. This issue's finale brings in a major villain from The Black Mirror, one of the best from that run. Luckily his debut is actually done in such a way that it very well could work fine as an intro of a 'new' villain for new readers, but old readers will be excited to see who makes a return in the wake of Death of the Family. The other big thing here is the focus on the relationship between Dick and Damian. They only truly interact at the end, but Damian is watching Dick the entire issue. They don't directly reference their time together as Batman and Robin, but having followed that makes this scene so much more heartwarming. It's one of those times where you can REALLY see how much Damian has grown as a character, and how he truly connected with Dick as a surrogate older brother, and still sees Tim as a rival brother.

Juan Jose Ryp's artwork is mostly pretty good on this issue, the big Nightwing fight scene in this issue actually has some nice flow and impact, but when Damian steps in to enact the scene from the cover, that big moment looks incredibly awkward. And most of the rest of the issue just feels a little cluttered. Something about the extra lines and colors Ryp puts in tends to make things feel crowded and blurred. The second pages was an assault on the eyes with Nightwing at the bat-computer with all his cuts. Just TOO MUCH going on at once even when not much was actually happening. And then the rest of the normal scenes just look a bit too 'shiny.'

Nightwing has always been the hope of the Batman family, and so this kind of event has really shaken him to the core. He's really good at deflecting everyone's concern with a reassurance that he's 'fine.' Barbara really annoys me here when she's baffled at how Dick can overlook Sonia's father killing his own parents. She of all people should know not to compare people to their children. I don't think she's ever once blamed her father for how her brother turned out; and we already know Sonia barely had any contact with her father, IF any at all. Which also begs the question of her name, if she was a bastard child who never saw her father, how did she have his last name ever in the first place? She should've ALWAYS been Sonia Branch. But that's a concern that goes way back to The Black Mirror. Barbara's still a hypocritical idiot for bringing it up though.

In Conclusion: 4/5

Nightwing has lost almost everything to The Joker. It's another one of those stories that shows that The Joker honestly won, he 'killed' the 'family.' He tore apart their bond as a whole. But Damian and Dick's bond is made of some strong stuff. Regardless, he really killed Nightwing's family, spiritually. Dick is left with nothing, no Haly's Circus, no Amusement Mile, no money after paying for the damages. But he doesn't have as little as he thinks. He still has Barbara, he still has Sonia, and it took Damian to remind him that he still has family. Calling back to their days as Batman and Robin, it really enforces the point that 'Batman' will always need 'Robin' to pull him out of the darkness.

Posted by wessaari

RHTO is the only book that i have seen with an Aftermath label on it, maybe that is due to the fact of what happens in the book but it just seems like a huge mistep on the editors

Posted by The Mighty Monarch

@wessaari said:

Batgirl wouldn't have needed it, her issue already started focusing in a new direction with her brother, and Batman and Robin was kind of like DotF Aftermath but honestly could take place at any time. But Nightwing and RHTO are both 100% about the Aftermath, so yeah, they should both have the label. We'll see if Teen Titans has it next week.

Posted by BatWatch

Babs is completely unlikable in most of her appearances in the DCNU, but yeah, this was especially annoying.

I didn't know The Dealer was an old character. Interesting.

Posted by The Mighty Monarch

@BatWatch said:

I didn't know The Dealer was an old character. Interesting.

Definitely read The Black Mirror. Scott Snyder's called back to it a few times in Batman, and Kyle Higgins is obviously doing a bit now. But it'll be hard to make The Dealer look more terrifying than Jock did, though.

Posted by BatWatch

@The Mighty Monarch: What do you think about the Joker markings on the Nightwing outfit? I'm really surprised at how deep Nightwing and RHATO have taken the Death of the Family cross over? After the uneventful earlier issues, I figured they were just playing it safe.

Arnolddoad has been telling me I must read The Black Mirror for awhile now, but I've never found it in stores. I happened to notice as I was browsing DC.com today that it was just now released in trade, so I guess that is why I could not find it. I was reading a lot of trades to get caught up in knowledge for BatWatch, but I put that on the backburner to try to develop some new aspects of the site, and then I have a busy month, so it might be some time before I get to it, but it's definitely on the to do list.