Follow

Nightcrawler

Character » Nightcrawler appears in 7172 issues.

Kurt Wagner is a prominent member of the X-Men and former member and leader of Excalibur. He possessed the Neyaphemian ability of teleportation, as well as incredible agility, wall scaling and a prehensile tail. Nightcrawler is a devout Catholic, contrasting his demonic appearance. He is a highly skilled swordsmen and former circus acrobat.

Problem with Nightcrawler's powers

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Meteorite

It's been stated in the comics a billion times that if Nightcrawler teleports inside an object, he'll die instantly. So why doesn't he die when he appears in the middle of air molecules?

XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By XRiskyX
    @Meteorite: It's about solid objects that he drive away. Teleporting into  water or snow would not be a problem either because he  has the greater mass and can drive it away while lets say a concrete wall has the greater mass (not to forget the higher density) and therefore he would get driven away himself. Since that is not possible IN a wall he would get squished like an insect. At least that is how I understood it.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Ha Ha! Science!

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Watch Dog
    @Risky said:
    " @Meteorite: It's about solid objects that he drive away. Teleporting into  water or snow would not be a problem either because he  has the greater mass and can drive it away while lets say a concrete wall has the greater mass (not to forget the higher density) and therefore he would get driven away himself. Since that is not possible IN a wall he would get squished like an insect. At least that is how I understood it. "
    That is the going theory but I would love to see an alternate universe were he can displace rock and other substances.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceIMC

I like when he gets to be badass and teleport limbs and such off of people. Like in AoA when he teleported Dead Man Wade's head off or in Wolverine and the X-Men where he teleported Spiral's bionic arms off. And he needs to get one of Black Knight's photonic swords.

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Watch Dog
    @PrinceIMC said:
    " I like when he gets to be badass and teleport limbs and such off of people. Like in AoA when he teleported Dead Man Wade's head off or in Wolverine and the X-Men where he teleported Spiral's bionic arms off. And he needs to get one of Black Knight's photonic swords. "
    Hell ya he should do that more often in the comics but I think he should have Kylun's swords there magic they will not harm a good person and besides time travels much faster in the universe he calls home so he's probably dead by now so he no longer  needs them.
    Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Nahero
    @Risky said:
    " @Meteorite: It's about solid objects that he drive away. Teleporting into  water or snow would not be a problem either because he  has the greater mass and can drive it away while lets say a concrete wall has the greater mass (not to forget the higher density) and therefore he would get driven away himself. Since that is not possible IN a wall he would get squished like an insect. At least that is how I understood it. "
    yeah that would suck
    Catracio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Catracio

It has nothing to do with his density. He doesn't actually dematerialize and re materialize but rather he opens a portal to another dimension and travel's through it at hypersonic speeds. The smoke is from that alternate dimension. Thus if he were to accidentally open that portal into a wall he would have to instantly portal away as well. This solid object flaw was part of his fascination with Kitty Pryde. With Kitty's help Kurt is a master teleporter. Limited only by the range of his abilities instead of the need to see where he is going. Since he travel's through another dimension it is believed his powers may operater on an even grander scale then Lock Jaw and Death Urges.

Blue Nighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Blue Nighty
    @Catracio said:
    " It has nothing to do with his density. He doesn't actually dematerialize and re materialize but rather he opens a portal to another dimension and travel's through it at hypersonic speeds. The smoke is from that alternate dimension. Thus if he were to accidentally open that portal into a wall he would have to instantly portal away as well. This solid object flaw was part of his fascination with Kitty Pryde. With Kitty's help Kurt is a master teleporter. Limited only by the range of his abilities instead of the need to see where he is going. Since he travel's through another dimension it is believed his powers may operater on an even grander scale then Lock Jaw and Death Urges. "

YEAHH!!!
    Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Watch Dog
    @Catracio said:
    "  Thus if he were to accidentally open that portal into a wall he would have to instantly portal away as well."
    That's not true it has all ways been said that if he teleported into a solid object he would die or lose the limb I have never herd this automatic teleaport rebound you speak of so cite your source or don't bring it up
    Avatar image for knightinbatmanarmor
    knightinbatmanarmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Risky had it closest. When nightcrawler bamfs away, the bamf sound comes from the sound of air rushing in to fill the spot he had previously taken. so, when he reappears, he displaces air, which is fast moving molecules, and like risky said, less dense. but, solid matter molecules are totally different and don't move in the same way. so when Kurt rematerializes, his body's molecules would take up the same space as that of the solid material. the process of having his cells mixing with those of another object would be exceptionally painful, and depending on the part, could kill him.

Catracio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Catracio
    @Watch Dog:  I know it's been a year since the post were made but i feel the need to point out that if read thoroughly i did not say he could do any sort of rebound teleporting. I simply stated that if he were to open his portal into say a wall he would have to instantly open another away from it to survive. He can't do this and that's why he needs to see his destination. As far as the entire displacing matter theory technically yes it is correct but that's just real world physics. And through these physics it can be determined that when he opens his portals the smoke appears as it is displaced from the brimstone dimension. to compensate for his mass as matter cannot be created or destroyed.  Also if you need cites on the brimstone deminsion existing or that Kurt teleports by opening a portal and traveling through the brimstone dimension and near instantly traveling through it i can provide them.

In short please read people's entire post and make sure you understand them before trying to say someone is completely wrong.
    I appreciate it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.