k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

If you're a fan of Deadpool, then the idea of the character being tossed into the zombie apocalypse should equal an automatic purchase (and if you don't like Wade, why are you reading this?). Thankfully, this series is off to thoroughly entertaining and strong start.

Writer Cullen Bunn's premise is simple: Deadpool was in a food coma after eating one too many chimichangas and, when he wakes up, the undead have taken over. It likely sounds familiar to you and that's obviously intentional. Now, Deadpool fighting zombies is always a good thing, but Deadpool talking to himself? Well, if it isn't in the right hands, that could grow tiresome very quickly. Even though nothing made me burst into laughter, Wade's not completely obnoxious, either, and there were definitely some comments that'll at least make you smirk. Thankfully, it's not long before Wade is through chatting by his lonesome and begins slicing and dicing the zombies. The action is a bit brief but it's badass nonetheless. Bunn's doing a nice job balancing Wade's sillier side with his lethal side.

There's one key element which sets this apart from standard zombie stories and it's uncertain whether or not it'll actually become a big factor. Bunn also introduces something we've seen in plenty of other zombie tales, but at the moment, we literally have no idea what to expect next, so he's definitely done a fine job hooking my curiosity.

Ramon Rosanas' art is a great fit for the story. His handling of Wade is commendable. From his goofier moments to his more serious one, the Merc with a Mouth always looks solid. More impressive, however, is the attention to detail in the world. Be it the feeling of isolation in such a huge city or a violent encounter with a swarm of the undead, the panels just feel right. The quality is consistent, too. The decision to make everything (except for Wade and his panels) black and white is perfect. It almost makes you believe Deadpool's wandering around in the same world as Rick Grimes or he's in a classic zombie movie. It's funny and effective at the same time.

The Bad

The zombie apocalypse spreading is something we've seen a gazillion times before (that's a rough estimate), so I wasn't the biggest fan when the book decided to spend two pages on colored flashbacks. The black and white (with Deadpool colored) visuals were really immersive, so yanking us out of that just to show us the infection spreading really didn't add anything except for a good joke or two.

Minor gripe: Part of me finds it very tough to believe Wade's the only hero left, so here's hoping there's a cameo or two along the way.

The Verdict

THE WALKING DEADPOOL NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEADPOOL is off to a great start. The clever coloring is very enjoyable and compliments the tone of the book extremely well. Despite a bit of exposition, Bunn gets things moving quickly and we're hit with some awesome action and two plot points that leave us with quite a few questions. Now I'm legitimately curious to see where this book will take us next. My fellow Deadpool fans, do yourself a favor and check this one out.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@saren said:

Why didn't they call this "The Walking Deadpool"? Seems like a real missed opportunity there.

agreed, that would have been awesome. I can't wait to read this.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By lifeboy

4 stars? Why'd you hate this k4tz?

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I can't wait to read this. I was planning on getting the trade in a couple of months, but that may change when I visit my LCS.

Avatar image for thewrathoflucille
    TheWrathofLucille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Is this worth a pick up?

I am already reading the walking dead and afterlife with archie.

Is this zombie book worth a pick up with these 2 awesome books?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Is this worth a pick up?

I am already reading the walking dead and afterlife with archie.

Is this zombie book worth a pick up with these 2 awesome books?

If you like Deadpool and zombies: yes.

If you like zombies but not really big on Deadpool: no.

Aside from the fact the zombies can talk, there isn't really anything here to set this zombie apocalypse apart from the others. At least not yet.

MasterBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MasterBelmont

Big Deadpool fan, and this sounds like quite something. I'll consider getting it. Also, love that cover.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Is this a limited series?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Is this a limited series?

Yes and Bunn says it'll be 4 issues.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this and am looking forward to see where this goes. I love the art, especially with only Deadpool colored. Definitely wondering now if we'll see some other heroes, or possibly zombie heroes, show up.

sheldipez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not the world's biggest Deadpool fan but I love my zombies. This was great! As other's mentioned I dig the coloring choices.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.