monkeytoe's Night Force #1 - Book One: 250 Minutes, Chapter 1: The Gatherers review

Off to a Good Start

I chose to start off reviewing this title because it was new and because there were no staff reviews of it at the time. I figure that the staff will post up their reviews of the books they like the most and so I like to spend some time on the issues that aren't getting any love. At the time of writing this, there are no reviews and only a few votes. With that being said, I think you're missing out if you're not reading this book.

I've stated before that I am a new fan to DC comics, and being so I have no previous experience with Night Force. My review is based slowly on my opinions of the story and characters presented in this title.

The Good

I have to say that I am very happy with this first issue. Immediately your attention is grabbed in the first few pages by a potential crime of attempted drowning happens right in front of you. There is a lot of mystery and intrigue being built in this first issue. What are the visions that main Character Zoe is having? Who is Baron Winters? Who are the pretend FBI agents and how did there serial killer prey die? What is Jim Duffy's past?

Honestly, I like the build up. There are a lot of questions to be explored through out the series, more so than even the ones I presented myself. Hopefully the title can maintain this mystery and intrigue while slowly guiding us to the end of it's 7 issue run.

The Bad

The only thing keeping me from giving this book a 5/5 star rating is the artwork. I'm not a fan of the styling in this book, but at least it is consistent through out the pages. The story is good enough that I don't notice it that much.

Overall, mostly for a story that just keeps building more questions, I give this a solid 4.5/5 and highly recommend you pick it up from your local store as soon as you get a chance.