Is Nico really a wizard?

#1 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand her parents were all Voldermort and stuff...but nico without her Staff is powerless...Plus anyone who pics her staff up can cast spells as well, so is she really a wizard?

#2 Posted by Holly Cross (481 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, well Nico is still a minor so we don't know how far she can grow into her powers yet. I think she's still in training...

#3 Posted by Buckshot (18871 posts) - - Show Bio

The "in training" answer sounds about right. In fact, back in the past (current story) she's getting tortured by some older members of her family and what they're talking about sounds like there's a lot more Nico could be doing. She might come back with a little more of her own magic. And also, while anyone can use the staff, it is bound to her and called by her blood, so it's not like it's a random item with no connection to her.

#4 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

The Answer is yes.

#5 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"The "in training" answer sounds about right. In fact, back in the past (current story) she's getting tortured by some older members of her family and what they're talking about sounds like there's a lot more Nico could be doing. She might come back with a little more of her own magic. And also, while anyone can use the staff, it is bound to her and called by her blood, so it's not like it's a random item with no connection to her."

What kind of bothers me with her staff is, yes the garbage is bound to her, but any average Joe can pick it up from off the street and start casting spells...idk....whatever the series is over now, so we all just may be left with our guessing.

and isnt Molly the only minor left in the bunch Holly Cross

#6 Posted by Buckshot (18871 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you mean it's over now?

#7 Posted by Holly Cross (481 posts) - - Show Bio

pixelized says:

"Buckshot says:
"The "in training" answer sounds about right. In fact, back in the past (current story) she's getting tortured by some older members of her family and what they're talking about sounds like there's a lot more Nico could be doing. She might come back with a little more of her own magic. And also, while anyone can use the staff, it is bound to her and called by her blood, so it's not like it's a random item with no connection to her."
What kind of bothers me with her staff is, yes the garbage is bound to her, but any average Joe can pick it up from off the street and start casting spells...idk....whatever the series is over now, so we all just may be left with our guessing. and isnt Molly the only minor left in the bunch Holly Cross"

Minor left? I don't recognize that term...

#8 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

isnt Molly the only one under 18 still

#9 Posted by Holly Cross (481 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah she's 12

#10 Posted by Magick (427 posts) - - Show Bio

Chase is the only one who has turned 18.

the rest are still minors.

#11 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"The Answer is yes."
#12 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

If she can cast spells in other languages with the staff, could she make up her own language and cast spells that way too? lol

#13 Posted by Frisco (285 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a good question, though I would think the Staff has some sort of 'fail safe' against that or something. shrug

#14 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"Vance Astro says:
"The Answer is yes."
"
#15 Posted by Crysta (320 posts) - - Show Bio

the staff is probably programmed by her parents 2 not do a spell twice. She should keep a pocket thesaurus.

#16 Edited by panda21595 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

The Staff has special way of use, apparently, you have to think of something bad you did- That's how Chase described it-
Also, since they went to 1907 she was toughened up by the Witchbreaker, who gave her the new staff that is better than the Staff of One.  The Wicthbreaker's staff also allows her to do magic more without the staff and more spells. So yeah she's a powerful witch/wizard/sorceress .

#17 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

she's never done anything without the staff though

#18 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

Only thing I've seen her do without the staff (or without actually speaking an incantation, I don't remember if she had the staff in hand) was summon a little projection of Alex Wilder in her hand.

#19 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Cloak say that he could locate the Runaways because one of them was filled with Darkness, or something like that?  They all thought he meant Alex, but I have a suspicion he later said it was Nico...?  If that's the case then maybe she has dark powers/magic inside of her and the staff if the only way for her to release it until she learns how to do it for herself??

#20 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

It's possible that he meant Nico. I, for one, thought he meant Chase, what with killing the guy who stole his van and getting all dark as soon as Gert died and stuff.

#21 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

I just re-read it.  You're right, Cloak is pretty vague and leaves it open to interpretation.  Although my money is still on Nico ;)

#22 Edited by King Hyperion (3707 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Nico's Mother once say the power contained within The Staff of The One scared the crap out of Dormammu? If that's true...is Nico on the path to becoming a Mary Sue type of character like RULK or Squirrel Girl once she starts going through some serious power upgrades? God, I hope not, though...it would be kind of cool to see Dormammu get the crap beat out of him by a teenage girl.

#23 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
King Hyperion said:
"it would be kind of cool to see Dormammu get the crap beat out of him by a teenage girl.
"
Witchfire and Illyana are both more likely to do that than Nico.
#24 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

Amanda Sefton already has

#25 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

When was the last time Amanda made an appearance?

#26 Edited by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

Cameo in New X-Men is the most recent one i can think of. And that was just flashback stuff i believe. And ther was Kurt's mini.

#27 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I hadn't thought about her in years. Think she'll show up in the last issue of X-Infernus?

#28 Posted by pixelized (62881 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been hoping she would for the longest of time, but she was expelled from Limbo and all that so i doubt it. Maybe she'll magically become the new Sorcerer Supreme

#29 Posted by The Comedian (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Regarding Nico, I think I remember reading in one of the older issues that she will eventually be able to cast spells without the Staff. For the moment, it's more akin to a set of training wheels, I guess. Plus, in the second issue of Volume 2, she creates an image of Alex, apparently without the Staff's aid, so I'd assume she does have some power of her own.

#30 Edited by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I think Nico does have a natural affinity for magic, But the Staff is just a help tool =]

It's also recently been discovered that she does have her own magical abilties.
She can levitate objects and even fly to some extent.

=)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.