Follow

Nick Spencer

Person » Nick Spencer is credited in 704 issues.

Nick Spencer is an acclaimed writer whose best-known work includes his books for Image Comics, including Morning Glories, Bedlam, Existence and Shuddertown. He has also done previous limited work for DC and Marvel, and is currently writing Ant-Man for Marvel.

NYCC 14: Nick Spencer Discusses Scott Lang & The Cursed Ant Man Legacy

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Cover by Mark Brooks
    Cover by Mark Brooks

Ant Man is getting his own book again! Announced at NYCC, Marvel let the world know that Scott Lang is getting his own on-going series written by Nick Spencer with Ramon Rosanas on art. Coming off of SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN, Nick Spencer is taking the reigns of this book and he talked to us about this upcoming series, debuting in January 2015.

COMIC VINE: A new Ant-Man series?! What led to you writing this series?

NICK SPENCER: I've been campaigning hard for the gig since 2013. I first talked to Axel about it at San Diego that year, but it was a little early in the planning stages at the time. Then earlier this year, my editor and pal Wil Moss emailed me out of the blue and asked me if I wanted to pitch it. So the stars aligned, and I got the job a month or two later. I couldn't be more excited about it.

CV: What's the new book about?

NS: It's the adventures of Scott Lang, a guy whose life has never really gone according to plan, a guy who doesn't catch a lot of breaks-- but more to the point, a guy who keeps getting in his own way. As Ant-Man, he's about to take some big chances in order to try to repair the damage in his life, and along the way try to finally be the hero he knows he can be.

CV: SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN was easily one of the funnest books to read. Will ANT-MAN have that same type of tone or are you taking this a more serious route?

NS: Oh yeah. There's definitely a lot of comedy here alongside the high stakes action. It's a different beast in some ways, but I definitely feel comfortable recommending this book to the folks who dug FOES, absolutely.

CV: While the series focuses on Scott Lang, will there be a chance we could see the other Ant-Men, Hank Pym or especially Eric O'Grady?

NS: Of course. Hank especially casts a pretty big shadow over Scott's life, so it's always fun to see those two mix it up.

CV: What's Scott Lang been up to between his time at Future Foundation up until the start of this series?

NS: The phone hasn't been ringing, he's in a major funk, and the money's run out. So basically, rock bottom.

CV: Will we see Darla Deering at all?

NS: No plans initially, but you never know down the road. She's a great character.

CV: The legacy of Ant-Man has a lot of infamous moments. Is there any redemption for this mantle?

NS: It is a bit cursed, but that's really the fun of it. Scott's always had a bit of a dark cloud hanging over him, and some pesky flaws in character that keep tripping him up. And that makes him very much a worthy wielder of the helmet-- it's in the legacy, comes with the name.

Thanks to Nick Spencer for answering our questions! Check out two other covers below!

Cover by Chris Samnee and Matthew Wilson
    Cover by Chris Samnee and Matthew Wilson
    Cover by Jason Pearson
    Cover by Jason Pearson

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I'm actually interested in the character now. I really enjoyed Superior Foes, it was one of the best things to happen to the Spidey mythos in a while.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Intriguing.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Scott, but there is just something about Eric O'Grady to me. I really hope he manages to bring him in on this, somehow.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All over this. Kinda wish Steve Leiber came onto this with Spencer though. But, the art does look nice.

donttellmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty excited for this

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Lang is one of my favorite characters in the marvel universe I am so excited about this.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By leokearon

I hope Darla does turn up, fingers crossed

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CaptainHoopla

Sup Foes is so good I'll at least try anything Spencer writes now. I like Rosanas' art too, Night of the Living Deadpool was gorgeous.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So this book is just going to pretend Scott Lang is not dating Darla so he can be a broke loser like Boomerang was in Foes. I was excited about this book but without Darla in the book it seems they are overlooking FF which had a lot of character growth from Scott. Without that stuff, I could care less.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish Perez was on Antman instead of Hawkeye. I think I'm gonna have to give both a try and pick one or the other.

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Replace Ant-man with Boomerang in his quick synopsis and you have Foes. Nick Spencer needs to prove he is not a one trick pony and this book will not last long if he goes down the path he did with Foes.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I love the new costume

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I love Spencer's writing, I loved Sup Foes, and I love Ant-Man so I'm in.

And man that Samnee cover, can the guy do now wrong?

badfuture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inkink said:

Replace Ant-man with Boomerang in his quick synopsis and you have Foes. Nick Spencer needs to prove he is not a one trick pony and this book will not last long if he goes down the path he did with Foes.

One trick pony? I feel like Spencer's entire body of work demonstrates more than a few tricks. As for that particular trick's longevity, to look at your first comment from another angle: take a concept that was seemingly loved by nearly everyone who read it, and replace all the C-list Spider-Man villains with the star of an upcoming summer tentpole film.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#16  Edited By Teerack

The fact Nick Spencer is on this book just means there is 100% chance on it being amazing. I have been wonder where he was going to go after Superior Foes since it's easily the best comic book coming out from any comic company right now.

I think I'm at the point where I will buy anything with Nick Spencer's name on it.

BlueAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I might have to pull this. It looks awesome, and since Spencer is on this, and I love Ant-Man, it will probably one of my favorites.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

It's about time Scotty boy!!!!

nikko72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm a long time Scott Lang Ant-man fan. I hope this book goes far. Maybe we can see a Cassie Lang story line where Scott tries to go back and save his daughter. Then maybe she can become Stinger in this timeline. Possibility!? hmmmmmmmm. Father and daughter fighting crime.

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BeholdtheVison

Not the Ant Man I wanted, (coughcoughHankcoughcough) but it was the one so many other people wanted so I'd better conceal don't feel! I'll push down the crushing disappointment and buy this book to support my fellow Ant-Fans.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be thrilled to have it be a 15+ issue run that is as fun to read as either superior foes or ff was. It would be epic and go down as one of my all time favorite runs if it were to be a 100+ issue run.

NickSpencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NickSpencer

@inkink:

Accusing a writer of plagiarism is a very, very serious thing. Accusing them based on something like this is really just infuriating.

I believe you have made this comment elsewhere, as well. So, for the record: best I can tell, Bad Kids Go To Hell came out in the summer of 2009. By this point, Morning Glories had already been pitched and approved by Image Shadowline. Joe had drawn a big chunk of the first issue, the script was entirely written. So, how we managed to rip off something before it was actually out is something of a mystery to me. Time travel, maybe? I guess that would be in keeping with our book.

Beyond that, I haven't actually read the book, but based on what wikipedia tells me, the only thing it seems to me they have in common is both are set in a school and star teenagers. I mean come on, Tower Prep came out the same years Morning Glories did, and the two had far, far more in common. This is just ludicrous.

In short, stop making wild, absurd accusations.

Sorry to distract from the ANT-MAN awesomeness, everyone, but really-- there's nothing worse that you can accuse a writer of than this. If you're going to make a claim like that, have some evidence beyond a vague passing similarity, yeah?

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickspencer: Nick, I want to offer my apologies for what I said in my previous comment, I did not take the time to actually think and said emotional things with no proof, that reflected my mindset at the time which has since pasted. In short I was an asshole who took my anger out on an invisible person on the internet because it was easy to vent.

I see you took the time to actually sign up here to defend yourself, seeing you did that means I really did offend you with my stupid words and I'm sorry about that. In fact this gives me a valuable lesson, that my venting does hurt people and I should stop over state things and stop letting my manic mood swings control me.

I hope you can accept my apology and if you do not, I understand.

NickSpencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inkink: Hey man, apology accepted. No worries. And I appreciate it. If it were pretty much any other criticism of my work, I wouldn't say a word. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. A plagiarism accusation is kind of a different deal though. But again, we all say stuff we regret and you were big enough to try and make things right, which is what matters. So yeah, don't sweat it.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickspencer: Thank you, and Steve, for all the laughs in Foes. It's going to be missed but I can't wait to read the conclusion. Easily one of my all-time favorite series. Looking forward to Ant-Man and wishing you success with that as well.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inkink: Just wanted to say props to you for that apology. That's a mans road and very rare to see on the internet.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Scott Lang is O.K., and I like Avengers World, and the first couple of issues of Superior Foes(It's just started in the British Spider-Man reprint series), so this could be good.

The exclusion of Darla seems weird though.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More Scott Lang. Where the hell is Pym?!?

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Willing to give it a shot.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@pizzaman: as the interview says, he'll be showing up in the book. He also recently joined the illuminati it's not a stretch to say that he'll be showing up in Avengers related materials.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I love the new costume

Second this!

This new series looks awesome. Ant-Man is so underrated!!! ^__^

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@war_killer said:

@amazingwebhead said:

I love the new costume

Second this!

This new series looks awesome. Ant-Man is so underrated!!! ^__^

Damn right

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.