Follow

Nick Fury

Character » Nick Fury appears in 4273 issues.

Nicholas Joseph Fury served in World War II as the leader of the Howling Commandos. He later became an agent, and eventually director, of S.H.I.E.L.D. Fury is one of the greatest strategic minds in the world, a born leader and a master of espionage. He currently serves as a replacement Watcher.

Why the hate for Ult. Nick Fury?

SladeRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Edited By SladeRogers

I've been on the Vine for a minute and I've been a fan of the Ultimate Universe since I discovered it. Now on the site there are various conversations about the Ultimate Universe, btu particularly I wanna focus on that universes Nick. Why does everybody seem to hate him? Is it purely because of a racial switch? Or is it the fact he was modeled after Samual Jackson?

I wanna hear everybody's opinion on this subject so I can at least attempt to understand the dislike. So wht are everybody's reasons to like/dislike Ultimate Nick Fury?
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Personally I like Ultimate Fury more than his Earth-616 version, plus he was awesome in the Ultimate Universe....before it went down hill after Ultimatum. -__-

SladeRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SladeRogers
    @War Killer: 

Bro, I couldn't agree more with that. I mean when Millar was writin' everything, things were how they should've been. Similar yet different to the mainline universe. Then Loeb came in and shot it all to hell with a burnin' pitchfork. Nick remained who he was, but nothing felt the same there. -sigh-
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PowerHerc

I like the 616 Nick Fury better, but that doesn't mean I hate Ultimate Nick Fury; I just don't like him as much.   
    Modeling Ult. Nick after Samuel Jackson is/was kinda cool, though.
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I just like Earth 616 Fury. Grew up with him, and his series Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD is one of the first comics i collected.

kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kimeraevet

I like Ult. Fury, as they made him a hybrid of 616 Nick Fury and 616 Isaiah Bradley. America's first super soldier and the dirty little secret behind Ult. Captain America's creation. Lots of good back history there that hasn't been mined yet. Especially considering Ult. Fury's relationship with Ult. Wolverine.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

I hate Ultimate Nick Fury. Not because of the race of because he's in the movies, but because it's Samuel L. Jackson. I love Mark Millar. Probably one of my favorite writers. But turning Nick Fury into Samuel L. Jackson was pretty uncreative and (IMO) pretty dumb. 

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By ReVamp
    @Gambit1024 said:
    "I hate Ultimate Nick Fury. Not because of the race of because he's in the movies, but because it's Samuel L. Jackson. I love Mark Millar. Probably one of my favorite writers. But turning Nick Fury into Samuel L. Jackson was pretty uncreative and (IMO) pretty dumb.  "

I couldn't disagree more. I liked the idea. 

Regardless, I like him more than 616.
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Whats with the Hate on Uleimate Fury... 
    Maybe they don't like Black people. 
    if you hate him you hate James Rhodes, he wasn't black at first.
    Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Duo_forbidden

I love the Ultimate version Nick Fury. Not that the mainstream version hasn't been doing his job, but I find the 1610 version more aggressive at his job. Add up what's he might be doing in the Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates, and I love him even more.

SladeRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SladeRogers
    @kimeraevet: 

You are totally correct!! He is a fuse of Isaiah Bradley and Nick Fury. I'm actually not happy about that, but if they make an Ult. Josiah X (or Josiah Fury), I think I might be quite happy. Please let them make an Ult. Josiah X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By SuperXAsh

I don't think it's necessarily hate for his race (though there probably ARE some, and at that it's probably split between actual racism and a general dislike of what they percieve as "knee-jerk political correctness") or whom he's modelled on, (some of those too) but more of how he's written at times. He tends to come across as a major dick at times, and almost a supervillain in his own right. Specially in the lead up to Ultimatum and that Squadron Supreme crossover. Seriously, look at everything after the initial Ultimates stories and the Galactus Trilogy, and there seems to be TWO types of Ult. Nick Fury at times, one who's just trying to keep the world safe in an emerging world of superpowered individuals, and the other who's some sorta machievellian bastard who seems to have tons of his own hidden agendas that are less than moral.

Midnight Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Midnight Monk

Don;t get whats the beef, I haven't been reading Ultimates since the beginning but from what I've seen in Ultimate Enemy and Ultimate Avengers, the guy seem way more capable and into the know than 616 Fury. Ult. Fury more proactive in my opinion which I like

SladeRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SladeRogers
    @Midnight Monk: 
    Thank you. My friend.
    Avatar image for superboyrocks13
    superboyrocks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By superboyrocks13
    @SladeRogers:
    i like ulitmate nick betetr
    kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kimeraevet

Was there ever an explanation for how he got his arm back after it was ripped off at the end of Ultimates: Grand Theft America?

Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rather see Samuel l jackson as Nick Fury way more than seeing David hasslehoff as Nick Fury.  I almost exploded in my pant when I read that Ultimate Nick Fury is based of the Isaiah Bradley story and he and Wolverine were buddies in WWII along with KingPin.

I'm mixed about seeing him in movies, though. I mean Ultimate Nick Fury is written as Samuel L Jackson with an eye patch and seeing him on screen Samuel L Jackson is just being Samuel L jackson not Samuel L jackson as Nick Fury.

In the comics I love him and I even liked him in the Ultimate Avengers movies 1 and 2.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Kallarkz
    no hate from him here i just didnt think he was all THAT interesting
    cody1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By cody1984

I could care less for the 616 version of fury.  I do like the ultimate version of him from the little amount of ultimate comics I've read.  However, MAX Fury is a thousand times better done then ultimate and 616.  Ennis made a rather dull character actually quite interesting. 
    SladeRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SladeRogers
    @kimeraevet said:
    " Was there ever an explanation for how he got his arm back after it was ripped off at the end of Ultimates: Grand Theft America? "
    Yes. Gregory Stark built him a cybernetic arm to replace it. Read the Ult. Story arc with the Red Skull in it, at the end he's fixing his arm while talking to Gregory Stark.
    Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @Doctor!!!!! said:
    "

you hate James Rhodes, he wasn't black at first.

"

WHAT?!?!??

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.