Sam Jackson Might Not Be Nick Fury

• 53 results
Posted by G-Man (30608 posts) - - Show Bio
I like Samuel L. Jackson.  Most of his movies are fun to watch.  When he was cast as Nick Fury in Iron Man as a cameo, it was great.  I'll admit when I first saw Ultimate Nick Fury seemingly based off of him, I was a bit perplexed.  Since it was the Ultimate Universe, I thought it was an interesting twist.  Seeing Sam Jackson at Comic-Con and based on a lot of the roles he's taken, he loves this kind of stuff.  Having an actor that is really into a character is great.  It always bothers me seeing interviews with actors and finding out they had no idea about the role they were playing before they got the part.  I guess to them it's just another job.  Fine.

In an exclusive interview with the LA Times, Mr. Jackson has stated that it's possible he may not be Nick Fury in the future Marvel movies.
"I saw ['Iron Man' and 'Iron Man 2' director] Jon Favreau at the Scream Awards and we had a conversation. He said, 'I hope things are working out for you because we're writing stuff for you.' Then all of a sudden last week I talked to my agents and manager and things aren't really working that well."

"There was a huge kind of negotiation that broke down. I don't know. Maybe I won't be Nick Fury. Maybe somebody else will be Nick Fury or maybe Nick Fury won't be in it. There seems to be an economic crisis in the Marvel Comics world so [they're saying to me], 'We're not making that deal.'"
I'm not really sure how I feel about this.  It's bad enough that Rhodey is going to be replaced.  I understand that sometimes things happen.  Maybe it'd be better if he was just left out if they don't want to go with him.  As the article mentions, this could be a negotiating tactic on Jackson's part.  Get the fans to cry out and demand he returns.  I guess what it comes down to is I could almost take him or leave him being in the movie.  Nick Fury has become an important part of the Marvel Universe but I don't think he's essential.  The same could be with the Marvel Movie universe.   They could write it however they want.  Nick Fury didn't create the Avengers in the comics so he doesn't have to in the movies.  It'd be nice to have him part of it.  I hope something does get worked out but if not, I'm sure the movies will still be great.
Staff Online
#1 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

This is almost a relief, as I've always been uncomfortable with Jackson portraying Fury. He just doesn't have the depth as an actor. Also, Terrance Howard being replaced by Don Cheadle is a BAD thing??

#2 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more alarmed by the economic crisis in the Marvel Comics world. I wonder what this means for their movies in general.

#3 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

That is pretty much wild speculation on Mr. Jackson's part.

#4 Posted by Shatterstar (4520 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't he in the Negotiator? He knows what he's doing. Getting that Marvel $. It'd be kind of silly after all this to cast someone else as Fury but thats kind of Marvel's own fault for basing the character on him to begin with. Its not like it can't be changed I guess, they're already changing Terrence Howard out for Cheadle. I'm worried that if Marvel isn't willing to fork over the cash for Sam does that mean they're lacking confidence in a Nick Fury movie? Are they planning on using the character in another throw away quick buck low budget movie like Punisher War Zone? If anything Iron Man proves having talented people involved exponentially improves the chances for the films' success and long term health of the franchise. Marvel needs to stop being cheap and just pay the man, he makes movies that make money. Either that or bring Hasselhoff back, that way I know its safe for me to ignore it entirely.

#5 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't hassle the Hoff.

#6 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

I say don't pay him and leave Fury out of it. Jackson is a bad fit, and paying him more will just detract from the quality of the movie. It's not like Jackson is a particularly amazing actor. The only reason to keep him is if it's worth it in terms of him bringing in a bigger crowd, which I think is unlikely.

#7 Posted by G-Man (30608 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"This is almost a relief, as I've always been uncomfortable with Jackson portraying Fury. He just doesn't have the depth as an actor. Also, Terrance Howard being replaced by Don Cheadle is a BAD thing??"
Bad as far as continuity.  It may not be a huge deal since he's a secondary character.  Replacing the lead would be another story.  But you know someday you may decide to have a little Iron Man marathon in your home and watch Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Avengers, etc.  It'd bother me a tiny bit seeing Rhodey played by one actor and then another.
Staff Online
#8 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

I might be bothered if it was reversed. As it is, Cheadle is a pretty huge improvement over Howard. I can't tell you what I would have given to have Tobey Maguire be replaced between Spider-Man movies.

#9 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"Korg said:
"This is almost a relief, as I've always been uncomfortable with Jackson portraying Fury. He just doesn't have the depth as an actor. Also, Terrance Howard being replaced by Don Cheadle is a BAD thing??"
Bad as far as continuity.  It may not be a huge deal since he's a secondary character.  Replacing the lead would be another story.  But you know someday you may decide to have a little Iron Man marathon in your home and watch Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Avengers, etc.  It'd bother me a tiny bit seeing Rhodey played by one actor and then another."
It's worked for James Bond for decades. As long as they make a good movie, I have no problem with it.
#10 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Since when has Marvel been in an economic crisis? If I had to guess I would say DC was in an economic crisis cause almost all their movies gets canceled.

#11 Posted by DEADPOOL (2702 posts) - - Show Bio

Sam, you traitor!

#12 Posted by Shatterstar (4520 posts) - - Show Bio
Slinger said:
"G-Man said:
"Korg said:
Bad as far as continuity.  It may not be a huge deal since he's a secondary character.  Replacing the lead would be another story.  But you know someday you may decide to have a little Iron Man marathon in your home and watch Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Avengers, etc.  It'd bother me a tiny bit seeing Rhodey played by one actor and then another."
It's worked for James Bond for decades. As long as they make a good movie, I have no problem with it."
Yea but that was after Connery built the franchise over 5 movies.

So if they don't cast Jackson, they'll have to cast another black guy. Or somehow explain how the guy at the end of Iron Man became white. Sooo they'll need another talented black actor that can put butts in seats... Terrence Howard is free. Seriously, why go through the headache, just pay the man.
#13 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84494 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure why T Howard is gettin no love but I personally think he's every bit the actor Don Cheadle is. It really bothers me when people are switched out in sequels. Hopefully Jackson will be back as Nick Fury. He usually pulls off his comicbook roles flawlessly.

Moderator Online
#14 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Why go through the headache of paying him? Just cut him out of the movies. It's not a vital role, and Downey and Cheadle are both better actors by far anyway. Jackson would feel kinda superfluous, IMO.

#15 Posted by G-Man (30608 posts) - - Show Bio

The other thing is Favreau supposedly said that there's already parts written for Sam/Nick.  I totally get that actors can be changed and have mentioned James Bond before.  But nowadays movies seem to be made in trilogies.  The Bond movies don't usually lead into the next movie.  There's no firm continuity factor there.  But if Nick/Sam isn't in it, like I said, it wouldn't be a huge deal.  Maybe part of me is bitter about the Spirit (even though I still haven't been able to bring myself to see it).

Staff Online
#16 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84494 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"Why go through the headache of paying him? Just cut him out of the movies. It's not a vital role, and Downey and Cheadle are both better actors by far anyway. Jackson would feel kinda superfluous, IMO."
Cause most fans enjoyed his cameo. He's been the Ultimate U's Nick Fury for a few years now.  And personally I don't think Cheadel is going to add anything to the film. He's older, shorter, and in my opinion a step down.
Moderator Online
#17 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank god.

#18 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"Cause most fans enjoyed his cameo. He's been the Ultimate U's Nick Fury for a few years now."
This is not enough justification to pay him more, in my eyes. Hell, I enjoyed his cameo too. I love Nick Fury. However, I will not be heartbroken if I don't see him in the role again, and I very much doubt the casual fan or moviegoer will either.

Gambler
said:
"And personally I don't think Cheadel is going to add anything to the film. He's older, shorter, and in my opinion a step down."
I am laughing so hard right now
#19 Edited by Quintus_Knightfall (84494 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"Gambler said:
"Cause most fans enjoyed his cameo. He's been the Ultimate U's Nick Fury for a few years now."
This is not enough justification to pay him more, in my eyes. Hell, I enjoyed his cameo too. I love Nick Fury. However, I will not be heartbroken if I don't see him in the role again, and I very much doubt the casual fan or moviegoer will either.

Gambler
said:
"And personally I don't think Cheadel is going to add anything to the film. He's older, shorter, and in my opinion a step down."
I am laughing so hard right now
"
I guess we can agree to disagree. I wont be heartbroken if he doesn't return, however it gets a little ridiculous when they establish a character and then turn around and replace them with someone else. You may not think Jackson is worth the extra cash but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks he is. Regardless of the size of the role.

I'm glad I could bring a smile to your face.

Crash/Howard > Cheadel/Ocean's number whatever their on

Edit: Cheadel was also in Crash.........but who cares :P

Moderator Online
#20 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

Changing actors is lame

Samuel Jackson brings money by his name alone, if Iron man was already an unexpected success, the sequel will get more audience, if you throw another popular name and give it a decent role you have it.

Now that I think about it, ain't they throwing way too much in Iron man 2? War machine, Mandarin, Nick Fury, No identity...,

#21 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Hotel Rwanda vs. Dead Presidents would have been a better match-up (but not by much).

#22 Edited by mrenb (156 posts) - - Show Bio

While the whole Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury thing is interesting, I'd honestly wish they'd use the regular Marvel Universe Nick Fury, if he's to show up in Iron Man 2 and/or the Avengers.  Not a slam against Jackson.   Like whatshisname as Kingpin; didn't like that one.  Not about race, so anyone who thinks that can kiss my butt.  It's about staying to the comic as close as possible.  It's why I haven't been too fond of the Spider-man cartoons, er, I mean Spider-man movies, but I digress.   I had the same thoughts you did, G,  it won't matter much to me whether or not Jackson portrays Fury.  I say, "meh".  Regarding Howard and Cheadle, yeah, I am still non-plussed about that whole deal.  There have been different stories from various sides, but again, switching out actors on the same role does interrupt the continuity factor for me.  I can accept it, but I don't like it.  Cheadle as Rhodey; I STILL can't see it but maybe he will do it justice. 

#23 Posted by MadOmegaMan (85 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Samuel L. Jackson should only have cameos in IRON MAN 2 & Avengers movies.

#24 Posted by TwilightThunder (246 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank god he's going to be replaced, he's just one the worst actors who ever lived... The only roles i liked  from him were in Die Hard III, Pulp Fiction and last and least, Shaft. Anyways, they need to put the Classic Nick Fury on the lead of the avengers, i loved that in Marvel Ultimate Alliance, so i'll love it in the Ultimates (Avengers Movie.

#25 Posted by Rod12 (79 posts) - - Show Bio

This news sounds just like when there was a news report a while back saying that Jon Faverau was not going to return to direct Iron Man 2 for the same type reasons. In the end it will probably be resloved Samuel Jackson will get the money he deserves and he sign a multi movie contract and he will probably appear in several of the upcoming Marvel Movies besides Iron Man 2 and The Avengers. Now if Marvel takes the supid root and doesn't keep Samuel Jackson just don't put the character in the movie at all don't replace him with a different actor because that will just get annoying. But this whole recent news report sounds very similar to the report a while back that said Marvel will not bring back Jon Faverau back to direct Iron Man 2 but look what happen in the end the situation was reslove and he is ready to direct Iron Man 2.

#26 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Jackson very much. and i am sure he'd do fine. But I just really get into him as Fury.

#27 Posted by King Saturn (223796 posts) - - Show Bio
Actually I think this Sucks... Samuel L. Jackson is still a great actor... I think he could pull off playing Nick Fury... and whats up with all these casting changes all of a sudden ? They already took Terrence Howard out as Rhodey and put in Don Cheadle... ( I am still pissed off about that )... I mean whats going on here ?
#28 Posted by Marvel Knight (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

If Sam doesn't return as Nick Fury, I hope they go with the 616 Nick Fury. Sam was cool cause he fit the Ultimate Fury so well, but if he isn't going to be him they should go with the traditional one IMO

#29 Posted by drone.devil (47 posts) - - Show Bio

blah.

didn't like Iron Man at all, didn't bother for the end cameo.  I really don't like Jackson all that much, and frankly have become quite sick of seeing his face everywhere.  I couldn't get into the Ultimate comics and I really don't like seeing "ultimate" material floating its way into tv/games/movies.  The bitter bastard in me wants Jackson to not get the part, but I also don't care if he's in any future Marvel movies because, to be completely honest, they haven't been very good.

I enjoyed Raimi's spiderman films when I was younger, but now I can't seem to find that level of satisfaction when I watch them.  Didn't like the X films, Daredevil or Ghost Rider films....The first hulk was terrible and the second was just ok.  The punisher films.....well, you get the drift.

#30 Posted by King Saturn (223796 posts) - - Show Bio
Wow Dude... you didnt like Iron Man
#31 Posted by drone.devil (47 posts) - - Show Bio

iron man was the most overrated hero movie, ever.

#32 Posted by King Saturn (223796 posts) - - Show Bio
drone.devil said:
"iron man was the most overrated hero movie, ever."
Really ? Why do you say that ?
#33 Posted by Lunacyde (17835 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:

I think Samuel L. Jackson has a lot of acting ability. He has had some great performances Black Snake Moan for example.
#34 Posted by Shonen (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Once you hear samuel L jackson you know people are gonna see it. Other than that it's a gamble.

#35 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"I think Samuel L. Jackson has a lot of acting ability. He has had some great performances Black Snake Moan for example."
He is definitely a talented actor. I just don't think he is the right fit for Fury is all. He has let himself be typecast too much, and is playing Fury like another Jules Winnfield clone. His role as Fury = his role as Augustus Gibbons in xXx.
#36 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE IS PERFECT FOR THE FREAKING ROLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

{RANDOMLY SHOOTS A MACHINE GUN!!!!!!!!!}

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!  HE IS NICK FREAKING FURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marvel better fix itt or I'll sue them! :P

#37 Posted by King Saturn (223796 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"Lunacyde said:
"I think Samuel L. Jackson has a lot of acting ability. He has had some great performances Black Snake Moan for example."
He is definitely a talented actor. I just don't think he is the right fit for Fury is all. He has let himself be typecast too much, and is playing Fury like another Jules Winnfield clone. His role as Fury = his role as Augustus Gibbons in xXx."
But would that really be a problem if his role is limited in the film ?
#38 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"But would that really be a problem if his role is limited in the film ?"
It is for me, I'm sure it isn't for others. Just as I have no problem with Terrance Howard being replaced, whereas others clearly do.
#39 Posted by King Saturn (223796 posts) - - Show Bio
Korg said:
"King Saturn said:
"But would that really be a problem if his role is limited in the film ?"
It is for me, I'm sure it isn't for others. Just as I have no problem with Terrance Howard being replaced, whereas others clearly do."
Fair Enough...
#40 Posted by The Shepherd (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be really happy if Samuel Jackson doesnt play Nick Fury!!!!!

#41 Posted by WonderBoy1132 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, so I'm not a huge fan of him but he is needed for the Iron Man sequel.. his character is crucial to the story line.. idk

#42 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Fury could have been using some sort of image transducer to make him look like Sam Jackson in Iron Man. It's not like he hasn't done that in the comics before.

#43 Edited by Snook (5 posts) - - Show Bio

First, Sam is the man!

I really don't understand if its the actors, studios or both.  I don't like the idea of changing the cast one bit tho.  Howard was in the 1st one he should be in the 2nd one.  The same can be said for any of the cast members.  What marvel needs to do is make binding contracts for the characters.  Meaning the actor/money are decided on for the films (1,2,3,4, etc), unless the film doesn't get made (or the actor is dead). 

#44 Posted by G-Man (30608 posts) - - Show Bio
Slinger said:
"Well, Fury could have been using some sort of image transducer to make him look like Sam Jackson in Iron Man. It's not like he hasn't done that in the comics before."
Yeah, didn't he do that in one of the Secret Invasion flashback issues?  When he first met with Daisy Johnson about the Secret Warriors?
Staff Online
#45 Posted by Crackdown (587 posts) - - Show Bio

Sam Jackson I think would be willing to do it whatever the money is and I think he's dedicated enough.

#46 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Thomas Jane should be considered as a replacement for Fury. It's definitely the obvious choice, just add a eye patch and some grey in his hair. Bradstreet even used him on an Punisher: MAX cover. Plus he'd be perfect for a Howling Commandos movie. I don't see how it could fail. 

#47 Posted by iSHADOW (2269 posts) - - Show Bio

jackson will do anything as long as the moneys right but theyre also gonna have to pay a whole lot of other notable celebrities like downey jr. and whoever else is gonna be in it.

#48 Posted by Incredible Hulk-Prime (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man the Movie was really good. Sam should be Nick Fury. If you picked an actor to play as a character you will need to stick with them until they don't want to play as that character in a movie. I mean look at

#49 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by BriClops (40 posts) - - Show Bio

sam jackson would very well do anything for money cause thats what sellouts do, he also is terible and im not intimadated  by him in the least. He doesnt carry himself like a bad a$$ he just yells and curses n people call him one. maybe Erik King (dexter) because if they stick with the black fury that guy at least looks like he could beat your a$$. and terrance howerd is over rated and cheadle is better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.