Follow

Nick Fury

Character » Nick Fury appears in 4274 issues.

Nicholas Joseph Fury served in World War II as the leader of the Howling Commandos. He later became an agent, and eventually director, of S.H.I.E.L.D. Fury is one of the greatest strategic minds in the world, a born leader and a master of espionage. He currently serves as a replacement Watcher.

Off My Mind: What is Nick Fury's Secret Tie to the Avengers?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Nick Fury is the ultimate man of espionage in the Marvel Universe. He's seen and done a lot from being a soldier and leading the Howling Commandos in WWII to later becoming a CIA agent to being the leader of S.H.I.E.L.D. He was a test subject for the Infinity Formula, which slowed down his aging. He made a bold decision to start a Secret War when Latveria planned to attack the United States (which later resulted in his removal as S.H.I.E.L.D. commander). When the Skrulls began their Secret Invasion, Nick was already making plans to put a stop to them. 

Fury eventually discovered that S.H.I.E.L.D. had always been secretly controlled by HYDRA and is continuing his battle with his Secret Warriors and new team of Howling Commandos. His life has been full of secrets and revelations but there's still more to be seen. The New Avengers are about to uncover one of the darkest and most well-kept secret of the Marvel Universe. This secret from Nick Fury's past will reveal the secret origin of the Avengers

How can this be when we already know how the Avengers formed? 
     == TEASER == 
    No Caption Provided
    Originally it was Loki who tricked Hulk into causing some destruction. Loki's scheme resulted in Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man and Wasp to join together and defeat him. Wasp came up with the name "Avengers" because she felt it sounded colorful and dramatic. Their formation seems pretty clear cut. How could Nick Fury be involved? 

One thing that comes to mind is the possibility that the current Marvel movies will have an influence on the comics. This would be a bad idea. It's one thing to allow for an influence to change little things but it shouldn't affect characters' origins. In the movies we know that Nick Fury is a big part in starting the Avengers Initiative. I don't really see this angle being thrusted into the comics and it doesn't really fit with what has happened. 

No Caption Provided
    Then again, we do have Fear Itself coming up. Nick Fury isn't the only one with a big dark secret. Red Skull also did something back during WWII that will be uncovered by his daughter, Sin. Red Skull's secret is said to have the possibility of destroying the Marvel Universe. Are these two secrets related or is this just a coincidence? Could it be that Nick Fury and Red Skull joined forces on a secret mission.  

I keep thinking of the Asgard connection in The First Avenger: Captain America where Odin's Weapon is mentioned. Going along with the possible desire to bring the movies and comics closer together, this revelation would fit in perfectly. Perhaps Nick Fury and Red Skull went on a mission to infiltrate Asgard. It could be that the Rainbow Bridge was discovered by both sides and they agreed to investigate in order to prevent any possible attacks against Earth. Nick Fury could have met with Loki which lead to his part in forming the Avengers. 

The problem with this is it would have happened decades before the Avengers got together. How could Nick Fury know about the team back then and put Loki up to playing his role? Also, is there any way Nick Fury could bring himself to working with the Red Skull, even if under direct orders? 

I'm all for big juicy secrets. When secrets are created after the fact and inserted into characters' histories...it can become tricky. Whatever Fury's secret is, we can only hope that it makes sense and doesn't affect or damage everything we've known for years. And for Nick's sake, let's hope this is something that doesn't end up biting him in the...butt. He's already ticked off enough heroes as it is.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PrinceIMC

I'm thinking Nick Fury made sure that Rick Jones' radio message made it to Iron Man, Ant-Man and Wasp and made sure it didn't reach other heroes. So basically he picked the Avengers first roster. He might have helped them get their special status behind the scenes or something. 

If it turns out that he was there with them fighting the Hulk and he suggested they get together but wiped their mind with a Men in Black type device I'll be mad.
    moffattbooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By moffattbooks

Painting themselves into a corner with this story?  Adding more layers to these characters might not always be a good idea unless you want to show an evil side to Nick Fury only to have it exposed and used in the present time.  

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By karrob
    @moffattbooks said:
    " Painting themselves into a corner with this story?  Adding more layers to these characters might not always be a good idea unless you want to show an evil side to Nick Fury only to have it exposed and used in the present time.   "
    I agree
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Theodore
    @PrinceIMC said:

" I'm thinking Nick Fury made sure that Rick Jones' radio message made it to Iron Man, Ant-Man and Wasp and made sure it didn't reach other heroes. So basically he picked the Avengers first roster. He might have helped them get their special status behind the scenes or something.  If it turns out that he was there with them fighting the Hulk and he suggested they get together but wiped their mind with a Men in Black type device I'll be mad. "

thatd be cool
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Nick Fury is Steve Rogers father.  

Search your feelings you know it to be true.

AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AndyPhifer
    @PrinceIMC said:
    "I'm thinking Nick Fury made sure that Rick Jones' radio message made it to Iron Man, Ant-Man and Wasp and made sure it didn't reach other heroes. So basically he picked the Avengers first roster. He might have helped them get their special status behind the scenes or something.  If it turns out that he was there with them fighting the Hulk and he suggested they get together but wiped their mind with a Men in Black type device I'll be mad. "

This. Or a variation of it. He set up the fight, even, by getting Loki to send Hulk out in the first  place? But knowing the world would need a team to fight evil, he caused the events that brought them together in the first place. Maybe even was the one who found Steve and put him where Namor would find him. 
    That'd make the most sense to me.
    Woodclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Woodclaw
    @Jake Fury said:
    " Nick Fury is Steve Rogers father.   Search your feelings you know it to be true. "
    Actually in some extremly old comics it was implied that the Red Skull was actually much older than what people supposed and he was Cap's biological father... Luckily that was written out of continuity.

@PrinceIMC said:
    " I'm thinking Nick Fury made sure that Rick Jones' radio message made it to Iron Man, Ant-Man and Wasp and made sure it didn't reach other heroes. So basically he picked the Avengers first roster. He might have helped them get their special status behind the scenes or something.  If it turns out that he was there with them fighting the Hulk and he suggested they get together but wiped their mind with a Men in Black type device I'll be mad. "
    Agreed 100%, also because at that time Fury wasn't director of S.H.I.E.L.D., he was still moonlighting for the C.I.A., so he had no access to sci-fi style tech.
    sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sparty-dbq

To me, it all just sounds like more pointless retcon.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @sparty-dbq said:
    "To me, it all just sounds like more pointless retcon. "

This is true. They wanna have Nick there from the beginning so they can tie it in to the upcoming Avengers movie.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @sparty-dbq: @PrinceIMC: I really hope that's not the case. Make it something good and cool. Just don't mess with our history.
    Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Baddamdog

Think you hit the nail on the head there G-Man

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12  Edited By DMC

Don't know what to think at this point. It would be interesting if both secrets were connected

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By JonesDeini
    @moffattbooks said:
    " Painting themselves into a corner with this story?  Adding more layers to these characters might not always be a good idea unless you want to show an evil side to Nick Fury only to have it exposed and used in the present time.   "
    Yay marvel! More needless retcons to perfectly established histories...yet another reason I find myself buying more and more DC books.
    leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By leokearon

It's a terrible idea, just to cash in with the movies. The Avengers was a group of heroes who met through faith, not some-one working behind the scenes. 

Especially since SHIELD with Nick Fury in charge didn't exist then
    Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

maybe there pulling an Ultimate and making Red Skull Captain Americas son an Nick Fury had to cover it up

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hellos
    @JonesDeini said:
    "Yay marvel! More needless retcons to perfectly established histories...yet another reason I find myself buying more and more DC books. "

DC retconned their multiverse. 
    Adding a few more layers to Marvel's history or a retcon or two isn't going to trump that.
    Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sobe Cin
    @PrinceIMC said:
                   "I'm thinking Nick Fury made sure that Rick Jones' radio message made it to Iron Man, Ant-Man and Wasp and made sure it didn't reach other heroes. So basically he picked the Avengers first roster. He might have helped them get their special status behind the scenes or something."  

I can see this happening. I can see Fury involved with things from the very beginning. But not only with The Avengers, but with the X-Men and with the Fantastic Four as well. And with Nick Fury's creation a few months prior to the first issue of the Avengers, why not.

But to be honest I also see the movies as the blame for this, they should have brought in the original 616 Nick Fury, it is what people are comfortable with. They should have had an alternate chase seen in the movie that had Fury behind the wheel of his flying car Chasing after Iron Man.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

@PrinceIMC:
    whoa are you saying that Earth 616 Avengers weren't made on accident
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @leokearon: Keep in mind this is just my theory. There's no confirmation that they will tie the movies and comics together. I'm just jumping to thought out conclusions.
    .o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.
    @Jake Fury said:
    " Nick Fury is Steve Rogers father.   Search your feelings you know it to be true. "
    haha

I think maybe he struck a deal with Loki to initiate the 'destruction' in the first place.  Fury gets a US super-group, Loki gets Thor 'occupied'
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Hellos said:
    "@JonesDeini said:
    "Yay marvel! More needless retcons to perfectly established histories...yet another reason I find myself buying more and more DC books. "
    DC retconned their multiverse. Adding a few more layers to Marvel's history or a retcon or two isn't going to trump that. "

LMAO! Nice!
    The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Ruiner

Bendis likes conspiracies...he has them in every book he writes...he's done well so so far..I have faith....I think we should be more worried about what Morrison is doing to Batman...yuck...

gammasan55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gammasan55
    @PrinceIMC:  I think your spot on man, if there was such a big threat how is that only four superheroes showed up? Because they're the ones Nick Fury wanted there!
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Gambit1024

What's next, it's gonna be revealed that the Nick Fury we know is actually an LMD and the real Nick Fury looks a lot more like Samuel L Jackson? 

Cause that's what's coming next. Mark my words. 

Razeil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Razeil

I have to say for the most part I hate history changes, it destroys comics books and makes people drop there favourite title for awhile, which in turns hurts the sales. However there is always an expection to the rule, but in my opinion a spin is better that this. Spider-Man: Reign is a prime example, not the greatest comic in the world but the spin on Spidy's radioactive bodily fluids killed MJ. This is what we need, twists on the classic backstory not breaking it down and remodeling in to fit a more modern style.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @Gambit1024 said:
    "What's next, it's gonna be revealed that the Nick Fury we know is actually an LMD and the real Nick Fury looks a lot more like Samuel L Jackson?  Cause that's what's coming next. Mark my words.  "

He could get a really really deep tan. And lose his hair.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By goldenkey
    @Soldier zero:

you do realize these comics and of they wanted to put  sci-fi tech equipment in their hands all those years ago they can.  Plus the time gap is streched.  You still have to look at it as if the Avengers started 10 or 15 years ago not 50 or 60
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#28  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Hellos said:
    " @JonesDeini said:
    DC retconned their multiverse. Adding a few more layers to Marvel's history or a retcon or two isn't going to trump that. "
    True, but in a lot of ways that was necessary and though it didn't completely work it accomplished it's goal. Marvel's just doing it for the sake of their films. 
    Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
    DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great read :D

Midnight Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Midnight Monk

I always giggle whenever the "Rainbow" Bridge is mentioned, it's hard to imagine Fury and the Skull working together even if the discovery of Asgard was on the line, they were still at war at the time but hey it's comics so who knows

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hellos

@JonesDeini said:

"True, but in a lot of ways that was necessary and though it didn't completely work it accomplished it's goal. Marvel's just doing it for the sake of their films.  "

Not entirely sure about that, what retcons or changes to history have we've seen so far that directly go with the films?  
    Because right now I'm scratching my head as to what direct retcons we've seen that tie to the film universe, much less do I understand how such a retcon would be for the "sake" of their films.    

Ergo why your complaint also leaves me scratching me head, considering how DC is no stranger to the retcon with not only their entire cast of characters, but also the Trinity where you have Wonder Woman own book seemingly not exist in current continuity as her entire history was erased.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Is this going to drift towards the whole watchmen thing of having a 'common enemy' only just not as dramatically?

emmbro30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By emmbro30

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn that I read years ago that Immortus was secretly responsible for the forming of the Avengers?  I am seriously getting to the point of not wanting anything to do with Marvel.
    JFW1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JFW1980

i like the rick jones connection, anything else will annoy me.

Veidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Veidt

Dunno, I really don't like the idea of changing things THAT much from what previously thought. I mean: Nick Fury just got his place in the main Marvel universe when the fans were enjoying the Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos and asked for more. By then, the whole Avengers idea was already in motion in Stan's mind, and I'm quite sure it had nothing to do with Fury.
    It's one thing to develop a character and from times to times to add something to his history, but to mess with the Avengers origin decades later?? Man, that just doesn't feel right... You read your comics for decades, and then they just decide to change the very origin at will, coming up with some 'clever idea'. We never, all these years,  had a chance to figure that Fury's possibility, simply because it wasn't meant to be like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.