Nick Fury in Iron Man movie

#1 Posted by Paragon (7293 posts) - - Show Bio

So I was looking around the IMDB, and I saw that in the new Iron Man movie, Nick Fury would be making an appearance by none other than Sam Jackson. Am I the only one that thinks there was a serious mis-cast there?

#2 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

bring back hasselhoff

#3 Posted by Cryo-Wolf (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

Sam Jackson....I can't think of the name off the top of my head....What did he play, or what does he look like?

#4 Posted by Paragon (7293 posts) - - Show Bio

OK, after looking around, I've learned that Ultimate Fury is black, but I am more a fan of the cigar chomping, WWII super-spy 616 Fury.

#5 Posted by Paragon (7293 posts) - - Show Bio

Cryo-Wolf says:

"Sam Jackson....I can't think of the name off the top of my head....What did he play, or what does he look like?"

Samuel L. Jackson, from Shaft, Pulp Fiction, S.W.A.T., Snakes on a Plane...

#6 Posted by Xmen_forever (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

me too, but most marvel movies are ultimate whith a little bit of 616.

#7 Posted by Cryo-Wolf (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

OH LOL Samuel Jackson!!! now I feel stupid....I was so used to Samuel Jackson......oi.

Yea, major mis-casting. I'm not trying to be racist here or anything, but I thought that Fury was always supposed to be white, wasn't he? I don't like the Ultimate Nick Fury, I like the one that always has the cigar in his mouth. Yeah, Hasselhoff would've been better.

#8 Posted by Cryo-Wolf (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#9 Posted by Lady Winter (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Cryo-Wolf says:

"OH LOL *Samuel* Jackson!!! now I feel stupid....I was so used to Samuel Jackson......oi. Yea, major mis-casting. I'm not trying to be racist here or anything, but I thought that Fury was always supposed to be white, wasn't he? I don't like the Ultimate Nick Fury, I like the one that always has the cigar in his mouth. Yeah, Hasselhoff would've been better."

Would be? You mean was! There's an old made-for-tv Fury movie staring the Hoff. I agree though, (and not trying to sound racist either) Fury should be the white 616 version. I think he's more appealing and a classic.

#10 Posted by Cryo-Wolf (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly! The first Ultimate X-Men I got that had him in it, I read it and was like WTF!?

#11 Posted by Lady Winter (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Paragon says:

"Cryo-Wolf says:
"Sam Jackson....I can't think of the name off the top of my head....What did he play, or what does he look like?"
Samuel L. Jackson, from Shaft, Pulp Fiction, S.W.A.T., Snakes on a Plane...http://www.youtube.com/v/PHuOvRat7tc width=425 height=350 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent">"

I could go for a Samuel Jackson beer right now.

#12 Posted by zero edge (3692 posts) - - Show Bio

If anyone can pull off a black Nick Fury, it's Sam Jackson.

#13 Posted by Xmen_forever (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

zero edge says:

"If anyone can pull off a black Nick Fury, it's Sam Jackson."

I agree.

#14 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Morpher says:

"zero edge says:
I agree."

that may be true but i dont want ultimate fury

#15 Posted by Xmen_forever (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"Morpher says:
"zero edge says:
I agree."
that may be true but i dont want ultimate fury"

but most marvel movies are ultimate.

#16 Posted by Shatterstar (4514 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't he pretty much already play a Nick Fury character in XXX? Not particularly enthusiastic about the casting even though I love Sam Jackson.

#17 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Nick is the best thing to hapen to Nick Fury.I have been reading comics for nearly 21 years now and Nick was a non-issue until Ultimate Nick. You don't like him? So. I don't care.

#18 Posted by Iron Apollo (2191 posts) - - Show Bio

Paragon says:

"So I was looking around the IMDB, and I saw that in the new Iron Man movie, Nick Fury would be making an appearance by none other than Sam Jackson. Am I the only one that thinks there was a serious mis-cast there?"

No, its perfect, its more based off of the Ultimate Nick Fury, really all the movies are based more in the ultimate universe, thats why they created the ultimate universe so people (that aren't into comics) who see the movies can read a book that doesn't have characters with 30 - 60 years of continuity, to catch up on, also the creators enjoy getting to redo things and not have continuity as well.

And when I say perfect, I mean marketing wise, since thats what I am into. I do like the 616 Fury better one of my first read all time fav comics is a Nick Fury comic, feat. wolvie from the 80's, but for a movie Sam Jackson as Ultimate Nick Fury is a better choice for fans, but even more so for non comic movie goers, who in the end will make more money for the companies involved.
Post Edited:2007-07-27 05:26:14

#19 Posted by G-Man (30357 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#20 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Sling Shot says:

"Ultimate Nick is the best thing to hapen to Nick Fury.I have been reading comics for nearly 21 years now and Nick was a non-issue until Ultimate Nick. You don't like him? So. I don't care."

My only problem with the character is that it is NOT Nick Fury. I have said this before, I like the Ultimate leader of shield I like the way they write him, but that's not Nick Fury. Why not give the new character a new name, say Nick Fury stepped down and now Ulysses Stone is the new leader of shield. Same guy, same personality, just not named nick fury. Nick Fury is a legend and I don't think they should just plug a new guy in and change him.

#21 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

Paragon says:

"So I was looking around the IMDB, and I saw that in the new Iron Man movie, Nick Fury would be making an appearance by none other than Sam Jackson. Am I the only one that thinks there was a serious mis-cast there?"

The Fury of the Ultimates universe is not only black, but based facially on Samuel L. Jackson!

No mis-casting there, that pretty awesome actually.

#22 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

Valkaad says:

"Sling Shot says:
"Ultimate Nick is the best thing to hapen to Nick Fury.I have been reading comics for nearly 21 years now and Nick was a non-issue until Ultimate Nick. You don't like him? So. I don't care."
My only problem with the character is that it is NOT Nick Fury. I have said this before, I like the Ultimate leader of shield I like the way they write him, but that's not Nick Fury. Why not give the new character a new name, say Nick Fury stepped down and now Ulysses Stone is the new leader of shield. Same guy, same personality, just not named nick fury. Nick Fury is a legend and I don't think they should just plug a new guy in and change him."

By that logic it's not Captain America leding the Ultimates either.

#23 Posted by NiteFly (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait. I'd love for this to open up for an ultimate fury movie.

#24 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly prefer the original Nick Fury. I'm too used to the classic Fury.
#25 Posted by orsonkidd (13 posts) - - Show Bio

these are the same people that want to cast will smith as Cap. it is just to obvious to be interesting. So they modeled ultimate Fury after Sam Jackson, I know lets cast Sam in the movie, aren't we clever? boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.