Follow

Nick Fury

Character » Nick Fury appears in 4274 issues.

Nicholas Joseph Fury served in World War II as the leader of the Howling Commandos. He later became an agent, and eventually director, of S.H.I.E.L.D. Fury is one of the greatest strategic minds in the world, a born leader and a master of espionage. He currently serves as a replacement Watcher.

Comics to Video Games: Nick Fury

Avatar image for StrongProtector
    StrongProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

Edited By StrongProtector
       Nick Fury's appeared in games before, but what could he do in his own stand alone title?
     Nick Fury's appeared in games before, but what could he do in his own stand alone title?

Nick Fury is one of the Marvel universe’s most important movers and shakers and his history is a long and storied one. World War II hero. Longest ever tenured director of SHIELD. Master manipulator of heroes and villains alike. But Nick Fury has never been the most dynamic of characters by his lonesome and is best known, especially nowadays, as working with a large group of people, whether leading a group of heroes or pulling strings behind the scenes in order to get to what he feels is best for the security of the world. So how could we make Nick the centerpiece of his own game while still playing to this strength?

The easy way out of an article like this would’ve been to just make this some World War II first-person shooter. But we’ve all seen that before and it’s not like Nick has some super powers to mix things up a bit. Plus, you move away from the group dynamic that I think Nick needs. No, this game would have to take place in the modern era and so I recommend featuring the Secret Warriors and making a hybrid game that combines RPG and gameplay elements from a game like Mass Effect 2 and action elements from a game like Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.  == TEASER == 

The first problem we would need to consult is the plot and that Nick doesn’t typically leave one of his many secret bases unless it is a severe threat or he is meeting with someone in person (and even then it might just be a Life Model Decoy). Luckily, HYDRA and Leviathan have been pretty busy lately in the comics and keeping Nick active and so this could be our reason for him to have that more hands on approach.

Baron von Strucker would be a logical choice for an antagonist in Fury's game. 
    Baron von Strucker would be a logical choice for an antagonist in Fury's game. 

I’ve never been good at coming up with a great conspiracy theory, but I’m sure Jonathan Hickman would be willing to lend a hand on fleshing out the plot since we’re using the characters he’s currently writing and could help come up with an original story since we know all the players who will be involved. We have the Secret Warriors, Leviathan, and HYDRA all mixing it up once again for the fate of the free world. Contessa and Baron von Strucker would have to make an appearance somewhere I’m sure.

Now to get back into the gameplay. Much like Mass Effect 2, we’ll have Nick take point of a three-person party with the other two party members being chosen from the Secret Warriors. What would be interesting about this dynamic is while Nick is taking headshots at HYDRA agents, depending on whom you chose from the team, you could have Quake stunning enemies with concentrated seismic tremors while Druid acts like a mage from a fantasy based RPG boosting powers or casting spells from a distance to help strike down the foes of freedom. I’m still not sure if we’ll have Phobos or Hellfire available since they’re technically dead at this point, but this would still give you five Secret Warriors for Fury to choose from as he hops around the world quelling threat after threat. 

The Secret Warriors would assist Nick in most of the game's missions. 
    The Secret Warriors would assist Nick in most of the game's missions. 

It wouldn’t be an RPG though if there wasn’t a leveling up system. I still might include a morality meter like in Mass Effect 2, at least for how the team reacts to Nick, but the traditional leveling up system will be very different. Sure, you can upgrade powers, health, and weapons depending on what character is leveling, but Nick Fury is known for having many pieces in motion at once on his worldwide chessboard. So instead of there being a shared XP system like in most RPGs and everyone leveling up rather evenly, team members who are not with Nick on certain missions can be assigned various secondary tasks, much like your assassin trainees in Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, and in only that way can they level up while you’re out performing your plot required duties. For example, if you always use Slingshot and Stonewall on your team, but then a mission comes up where Eden Fesi's teleportation powers might prove interesting and you haven’t been sending him on secondary missions, he might not be able to pull his own weight on the plot’s primary mission you want to use him for.

Nick will do whatever is necessary in order to complete the mission.
     Nick will do whatever is necessary in order to complete the mission.

Another aspect of Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood I want to incorporate is the parkour movement aspect. Many, if not all RPGs, can feel very stiff when it comes to movement. Nick Fury is a secret agent though in peak physical condition and has trained all the members of the Secret Warriors himself. So why not have it where you can pull the camera back a little and climb and sneak through various bases and scenarios with your teammates to give it that real espionage feel? Or even have sections where you can choose to have members of your team break off from the group. Have Slingshot race around to the side of a base and flank your enemies or provide a distraction while Nick climbs up and crawls through some ventilation ducts. These choices could really provide a deep strategy aspect to the game as you try to decide what teammates to bring and how to progress through a level.

Another staple of Nick Fury stories is that he has a lot of flashbacks so even though we don’t want to make it the focus, we could have a couple of World War II levels to set up certain missions where Nick teams up with Captain America, Bucky, and/or Wolverine. This could help draw people in with some more name recognition and provide some variety incase we only use the five remaining members of the Secret Warriors as team choices. Or maybe have a few levels where Nick's agenda could go against those of the Avengers or other heroes to really put a twist on things as Nick and the Secret Warriors could face off against friends and allies. 

So what do you think of a possible Nick Fury espionage RPG with his Secret Warriors? What twists and turns could be made to the plot? Should Nick call in favors from some more well-known heroes in the Marvel universe for cameos? Let us know by commenting below!

Ultan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ultan

I would love a Green Arrow game... seriously!!

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

It would be awesome FPS....... Just think about it!
    StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#3  Edited By StarKiller809

I think it would be cool to see Nick Furry on a game concole. I really think that this whole shooter game would be a great idea.
    WolfMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By WolfMonkey

meh, i just dont know... he barely has what it takes to have a standalone movie, let alone game... 
    i think when it comes to other media, he's better as a secondary character. for instance, make an entire SHIELD game, not just a nick fury one maybe

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By goldenkey

Nicky Fury shooter sounds boring.  The guy has enough tech to be more spy like.
    KingLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KingLoki

Sure, why not. There may be some other characters who should get a video game first (coughdaredevilcough), but I would be down with a spy game with everyone's favorite spy. Black Widow should be playable also though, for sure.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By NightFang3
    @Ultan said:
    " I would love a Green Arrow game... seriously!! "
    Ultan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ultan
    @WolfMonkey: I understand what you're saying, but I would like to see them give it a go. You don't know what they could make of it.
    Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seraphim84

I'd want a Nick Fury game like that  Recettear game.  Fury just stands around on the Helicarrier, sometimes pointing out where Damage Control need to go.

Krakoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 215

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Krakoa

If someone where to make a Nick Fury game, it should essentially be Just Cause 2, with an eyepatch. 

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Mucklefluga
    @Krakoa said:
    "If someone where to make a Nick Fury game, it should essentially be Just Cause 2, with an eyepatch.  "

LOL 
    Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Red Rum

I'd like to see the use of Fury's LMDs in the game. 

Also, can Black Nick Fury be a playable character?

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iLLituracy

Too many FPS games, they're pretty boring. I'd enjoy Nick Fury in a Metal Gear type game, though.

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By SuperXAsh

Make it like Perfect Dark or No One Lives Forever, so you'll be able to incorporate the tech Fury uses as well as the guns or maybe like that Punisher game from a few years back.

Could also be a game about Fury's history in the Marvel universe. Have it start in World War II with the Howling Commandos, introduce us to Strucker and the emerging HYDRA, fast forward a decade or two to the late 60's (Steranko-influenced) era and Fury as a full-fledged agent, (with the infinity formula) fighting a more powerful HYDRA and so on till about now. 

Could be a kinda 3 act deal.

Avatar image for mercwithamouth2385
    MercWithaMouth2385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nick Fury could never be an effective spy. You'd smell his cigar stankin a$$ round the block! They need a punisher FPS similar to COD: Black Ops.... that would make the most sense. Sneaky spy game- I'm thinkin they could do a  Moon Knight or Black Panther game where stealth and shadows are your main tools. I would love a hack and slash type action game with Deadpool of course. A crazy oriental style Daken game that looks similar to Afro Samurai would be tight. And maybe a Crazy long and detailed game sort of like Arkham Asylum based on Daredevil: Shadowland.
    goldenshot80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16  Edited By goldenshot80
    @Seraphim84 said:
    " I'd want a Nick Fury game like that  Recettear game.  Fury just stands around on the Helicarrier, sometimes pointing out where Damage Control need to go. "
    navyBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By navyBatman

NIck Fury in a MGS type of game . 

imagine him wrecking havok in WW2 like Big Boss did in MGS3

BADJEREMIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BADJEREMIE

If is like Fury by Garth Ennis This will be a insane  FPS....

No Caption Provided
    AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlKusanagi

I'd just be stoked for a DLC Nick for MvC3. They could have classic, modern and Samuel L. skins available to make everyone happy.

Iron_Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Iron_Lad

It would be cool if they made a Nick Fury game with gameplay similar to the Metal Gear Solid series. Metal Gear has some awesome characters I have to admit.

Fuloqwam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fuloqwam

The fact that there hasn't been a Deadpool game ranks high among humanity's greatest crimes.

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Osiris1428

The best thing they could do if they really wanted to make a Nick Fury game is make him the Nick Fury of the movie-verse. They could tie in other characters in the Marvel universe. Third person shooter, spy type game. Metal Gear meets Punisher: Warzone game.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By armylife1124
    @Iron_Lad said:
    " It would be cool if they made a Nick Fury game with gameplay similar to the Metal Gear Solid series. Metal Gear has some awesome characters I have to admit. "
    Exactly what I thought of when I thought of Nick Fury in a game!
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#24  Edited By The Impersonator

The Nick Fury game sounds awesome. I love espionage games.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By TDK_1997

I'm not his biggest fan but i would a fury game.

Woodclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Woodclaw

I agree with the idea that a MGS/Splinter Cell kind of game will suit Fury a lot better than a FPS or a Assassin Creed kind of game.

aouric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By aouric

I would think it would be a great idea to get Tom Clancy involved in something like this, the game would be awesome!

bluemanrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bluemanrule

Great idea.  I would like to see that RPG with Nick Fury.  That would be great.  I can't see it being technically possible but if it could, it would be great.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Loki9876

A second person shooter in the style of splinter cell with futuristic gadgets (also having predator/ stealth battles) and multiplayer mode wear you make your own SHIELD agent would be cool.

WilliamHenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WilliamHenry
    @Loki9876 said:
    " A second person shooter in the style of splinter cell with futuristic gadgets (also having predator/ stealth battles) and multiplayer mode wear you make your own SHIELD agent would be cool. "
    Thats third person.
    Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sammo21

The game would be best as a third person shooter with tons of random missions and you controlling SHIELD and doing dirt with other agents.  Maybe you can send out agents to spy on Spider-Man or issue agents to go out on a mission with Captain America?   

You can also take missions yourself and use your jetpack, flying spy car, etc, etc.  Good stealth would also be cool, but the ability to fight well is a must as Fury is a beast!

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Loki9876
    @Pizza Time:  I actually ment just behind the character like batman arkham asylum but not too far from the character like most third-person games I tought that was called second-perspective. I guess I'm wrong.
    messiah1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By messiah1994

The tactic part could be somthing alike the new Deus Ex
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By InnerVenom123

Punisher deserves an FPS before Nick Fury. :P

bringdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bringdeath

Punisher first, fury second 
    Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Out_of_Space

A Nick Fury FPS game sounds good.
    Kenshiro28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kenshiro28

Let Capcom make another 2D beat-em-up but instead of starring the Punisher, it'll be Nick Fury and Dum Dum. Also, it should have more belt-whipping.

BruceW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By BruceW

You my friend Have to be the president of Marvel Entertainment

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.