Follow

Nick Fury

Character » Nick Fury appears in 4273 issues.

Nicholas Joseph Fury served in World War II as the leader of the Howling Commandos. He later became an agent, and eventually director, of S.H.I.E.L.D. Fury is one of the greatest strategic minds in the world, a born leader and a master of espionage. He currently serves as a replacement Watcher.

Are Star Cameos in Films too Distracting?

• 73 results
    Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Fantasgasmic

The only time I don't like cameos is when they're over-hyped, like Olivia Munn in Iron Man 2. Who she was playing was kept a big secret, she said it wasn't a reporter, there was HUGE speculation that she'd be Janet van Dyne, but after all they hype and rumors, it was a crappy 4 second cameo as essentially herself. Boo-urns. Bruce Campbell or Stan Lee on the other hand are cameos I loved. The only problem with Bruce's cameos was that in the theaters, sometimes there was so much cheering for him that you couldn't hear the lines.  
    As for all the "character cameos" in Wolverine Origins, like Emma Frost, Cyclops, and Xavier... well... they were kinda annoying, but were FAR from the biggest problem with that movie.

goosehorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By goosehorn

to me cameos are just an added bonus  regardless  of how long they stay on screen its still fun to see them on the big screen 

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Adam Michaels

If someone is paying to watch a movie, and their main concern is who will cameo, or in Stan's case, who or what will he play, then that someone's attention was never on the actual movie to begin with. 

Seriously, how unfocused are you to watch The Incredible Hulk and completely fall off track because you saw Stan Lee take a sip from a bottle? To quote The Miz "Really? REALLY?" 

As for getting big named actors to play smaller roles, it all relies on the actual actor's portrayal. If he/she is really good, then you won't think the actor, but the character. I do understand that sometimes they overshadow the performance. But for the most part, I find myself drawn into the story so I never have that issue.  
    SnickerSnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SnickerSnack

i don't mind them. I actually expect to find cameos. It's like one of those hidden mickeys thing. lol

_Wildcard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By _Wildcard_

NO! dennis leary is the PERFECT Cletus Kasady! can you image a better person to play Carnage???

angryamazon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By angryamazon
    @Achilles. said:
    " The only cameo I enjoyed was Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool but then they ruined him and turned him into BarakaPool
     Cool
     Cool

Not cool
     Not cool
    "
    barakapool!!!!! ur totally right! 
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#57  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I enjoy cameos. They are a lot of fun. I have yet to see one that was distracting, though.

kaliforniaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#58  Edited By kaliforniaa

Something else to consider is that cameos are subjective. A "no-name" actor from a soap opera could have a bit part in a comic book based movie and be just as important to one person as Samuel L. Jackson is to other people

Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Praetor_fenix

Stan Lee/Lou Ferrigno cameo in Ang Lee's Hulk was about the only fun part of the movie, so yes, i do like cameos, especially when they're managed cleverly. But also if there's too much sloppy-managed cameos (i'm talking Wolverine Origins) it gets tiresome.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Calvin

Yes, very distracting. 

Psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Psykhophear

I guess cameos are alright.

SirSparkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SirSparkington

I enjoy them. Its just us comic fans who think way too much about who is gonna have a cameo.

aouric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By aouric

Doesn't bother me at all, Stan been doing this in comics, why not the movies! He is the godfather of comics.

shinytoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By shinytoaster

I'm not sure sure if it is distracting because really it helps out the cause to keep comic books afloat and some people might see the movies because those characters are there and it will gain momentum and money in the box offices. Not to mention it is funny to see Bruce Campbell for no reason, just my opinion.

The_Virginian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By The_Virginian

I love the Bruce Campbell cameos. He's awesome.

Nev-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Nev-man

We don't know if Denis Leary and Martin Sheen are going to "pale in comparison" to Bruce and Stan, seeing as the film is about a year away, that's mere speculation at this point. If I for some reason I lost track of the film's plot because a well known celebrity turned up in a film for a minute, I'd begin to question my intelligence.

GLforHIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By GLforHIRE

I actually look forward to bruce campbell and stan lee. With stan its like a quick screen pan and you go o wow that was stan lee. Like other people said, since their roles are so subtle and not "OMG LOOK AT ME I'M ACTOR SO AND SO"  Star cameos are fine, characters cameos kinda bug me...don't just throw a million mutants in the wolverine movie and them make them so low key. Emma frost looked more twilight than emma frost, not to mention guys like toad and all the other ones in the prison. But wolverine is a bad example cuz that movie sucked on alot of levels.  My biggest peeve is stars who play multiple heros...Renolds being deadpool, and in blade and now hal....Chris evans bein johnny storm, captain american and some say flash?...it kinda defeats the purpose and kills alot of crossover value...
    HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68  Edited By HexThis

Well, I was more opposed to Will.I.Am being in Wolverine Origins or the many models and glorified extras who portrayed major characters for but moments in movies. Doesn't Marvel ever bother to plan these things? Not only did Emma and Quicksilver and a whole bevy of other famed mutants showing up in Weapon X facilities cheapen the importance of their characters but ya know, it just wasn't even slightly necessary. What does that say about how they regard these roles that they would just give them to anyone? And Psylocke in X3? The hell was that? You include Psylocke, you include her story which just so happens to have nothing to do with the Brotherhood. Same for Callisto. 

For me, it's about showing respect to the property that brings in the dough and is the creation of some hard-working writers/illustrators.

ZombieFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By ZombieFanatic

I'm always down for a good cameo....

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Eyz

They either distract from the story or are wasted opportunities from a writing point of view.

Like either the star cameos: Samuel Jackson, Stan Lee, Morgan Freeman, etc..
    Or the the cameo characters: many mutants in the X-men flicks, etc..

nick7913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By nick7913

I think you're going a bit too far with your definition of a cameo. A cameo is an appearance that only lasts for a few seconds and is simply there as a "nod" to the community. In contrast Martin Sheen and Denis Leary both have roles that are pivotal to the plot of the movie. If you feel that they have been typecast into the roles you mentioned then it's the same as saying that after Han Solo, Harrison Ford should have quit acting. Now Sam Jackson's cameo was a little teaser for a character who will be playing a huge part in Marvel movies for the next 5 years and it was something to get us excited after Iron Man was over for the upcoming Avengers film.
    Also, I don't think that most movie goers really place that big of an emphasis on cameos. Even the big fans (including myself) are probably only pleasantly surprised the moment they see Stan's mug pop up for a couple of seconds. If you pay $10 to go see a movie and you don't get yourself involved because you're waiting for a cameo, well... it's your money dude!

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By G Bird

Cameos are great, I always get a kick out of them especially if it's from some actor I like. Stan Lee cameos are classic too!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#73  Edited By PowerHerc

Distracting?  Not at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.