Follow

New York Comic Con 2014

Concept » New York Comic Con 2014 appears in 27 issues.

October 9-12 at the Javits Center.

NYCC 2014: Marvel - Axel-in-Charge Panel

• 103 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

It just wouldn't be Comic-Con without some major announcements from publishers, would it? During today's Axel-in-Charge panel, the House of Ideas' Editor in Chief, Axel Alonso, took the the stage and was joined by Gerry Duggan, Kieron Gillen, Ales Kot, Phil Noto, James Robinson, Charles Soule, Nick Spencer, G. Willow Wilson (and eventually a special guest...) to chat about the publisher's future and make some exciting announcements. Read on for the highlights!

• New creative team for HAWKEYE announced! Coming this march, it's by Jeff Lemire (he’s apparently the master of archers?) & Ramon Perez.
    • Lemire says he can’t hope to duplicate Fraction/Aja’s success, just hopes to do the best he can. Really proud of what they’re doing… the more he thought about Clint and Kate, the more stories he realized he has to tell.
    • FANTASTIC FOUR: Robinson says he wants to honor all of the prior creative teams but still remain true to his own voice. Commented that his story has a lot of drama but he wanted to avoid making it too dark. Says the return to the blue costumes was all part of the plan and says everyone will have their moment.
    • ·FANTASTIC FOUR #642 cover shown (January). Robinson says he’s moving towards the end of the F4. Tells readers they won’t leave the book with a bad taste in their mouth. States he's making the team go out with some style and thinks fans will be happy they invested in the series.
    • On SHE-HULK: Soule says he wanted to make the “day to day grind” of being a lawyer fun and interesting.
    • On DEATH OF WOLVERINE: Soule says it has been a “really, really incredible experience.” Says the last 5 pages or so are “a huge gut punch.” Jokes he’ll get yelled at on Twitter but hopes to get plenty of good reactions as well.
    • Kot says he took about 2 weeks to think about the BUCKY BARNES: THE WINTER SOLDIER offer because he wanted to make sure he wasn’t repeating himself; wants to give readers new experiences with each of his stories. “I wanted to take everything that’s good about the character and then boil it down to the basics and make him question himself again, but not in self-tortuous ways.” Says taking him to space will offer him new ways of thinking and interacting with everything around him.
    • ANT-MAN coming in January and it's by Nick Spencer and Ramon Rosanas. Spencer: "Scott is just a character that I really connect with. Scott wants to be a hero and he wants to be a good guy but he’s got a checkered past and tends to take shortcuts. I think we’re setting him up for a really exciting status quo – he’s going to be in a new city, have a new job."
    • MS. MARVEL – Willow says the great thing with Ms. Marvel is they have such an open canvas. Comments that 90% of the time the references tossed in the panels, which she's regularly praised for, are by the artist.
    • Noto: it was an artist’s team to work on BLACK WIDOW. "I had more than enough time to just do what I do. I’ve been able to just have fun and create real art for each issue; it’s just been great." Currently working on issue 12.
    • Phil Noto variants in Feb.
    • DEADPOOL: Duggan says he and Brian Posehn knew they wanted to open with a big comedy. "Now we’re really writing for Wade Wilson – the man who puts on the mask and becomes Deadpool." States they're looking to find other ways to hurt him. "If I chop his arm off, we can put his arm back on. But if we hit him in the heart…" Adds they're working on issue 45 right now and says 2015 will be a very big year for Deadpool. “We’re finding ways to hurt him and you seem to be liking it, so thank you.”
    • Gillen: ANGELA: ASGARD’S ASSASSIN. “Asgardian Black Widow is kind of how I phrased it.”
    • Question time!
    • Fan loves the equality in Marvel’s comics and how they don’t embrace stereotypes. Asks how it feels to pave the way. Answer: "It’s basic: you’re all special. It sounds cliché, but it’s true. You’re all special and we should be reflecting that."
    • Fan thanks Marvel for the increased diversity. Says there’s still a long way to go, so asks what we can hope to see in the next few years. Answer: Alex comments that he thinks they try to tell good stories and see where they land. Adds that he anticipates more of the same and improvement.
    • Fan wonders when we'll see Elijah Bradley. Answer: Implies we’ll see him soon. Alex say no one’s a bigger fan of Bradley than he is.
    • Fan asks for an update on Hank Pym. Answer: "We have a plan, but he ain’t Ant-Man. Stay tuned for more about him."
    • Fan question: "Hank Pym/other Ant-Men be in the ANT-MAN book?" Spencer's answer: “Yes, there’s a lot of legacy to that helmet. We’ll see some familiar faces.”
    Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

The big news is Lemire Hawkeye and Fantastic Four cancel

Zadoulo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't tell me Jeff Lemire left Green Arrow for Hawkeye. Ouch; I really love his Green Arrow though.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Jeff Lemire!?

Loading Video...

Also cool Ant-Man :)

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, sad to see FF end because of movies.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

excited for all this marvel stuff

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Goodbye Marvel's first family and foundation of Marvel Universe. Jack Kirby must be sad about this news if he still alive

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Ditching Green Arrow for Hawkeye? Ouch....

Zarathos022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another one gets the ax...

And another one down...

And another one down...

Another one gets the ax...

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Billy Batson

@zadoulo said:

Don't tell me Jeff Lemire left Green Arrow for Hawkeye. Ouch; I really love his Green Arrow though.

No, it was coincidental.

BB

KrazyCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't want to be that guy but I think its safe to say Hawkeye is going to be $3.99 with the relaunch

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it hilarious that I met Jeff Lemire yesterday and told him how much I loved his Green Arrow... and today I learn he's writing Hawkeye.

(I'm not sure if I'll read it, but I'm definitely reading the miniseries he's doing with Valiant)

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I am really glad that Lemire will be writting Hawkeye but I still can't get over the fact that he left Green Arrow nad now we're left with that groosome creative team.

Another interesting announcement is the Ant-Man book.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_stegman  Moderator

Looks like I'll be reading Hawkeye again.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Glad to see that Spencer is going to be on another Marvel book now that Superior Foes is ending.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@the_tree said:

Looking forward to Hawkeye, great writer/artist pairing. Might check out Ant-Man.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they keep Darla Deering around in Antman as his love interest they work very well together and it's goo to see Scott have some happiness in his life.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

HOLY!!!!!!!! LEMIRE goes to Hawkeye from Green ARROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

I am really glad that Lemire will be writting Hawkeye but I still can't get over the fact that he left Green Arrow nad now we're left with that groosome creative team.

Chances are he took Hawkeye to spite the new Arrow driven series, which I applaud him for.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CaptainHoopla

Hawkeye should be good with that team. I'm very interested in Ant-Man with Spencer and Rosanas. If Spencer can keep some Superior Foes magic and Rosanas' art is as good as it was in Night of the Living Deadpool, this could really be a great series.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptainHoopla
    WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WheatStalker

Gregg, what do you mean by Phil Noto variants in February ... variant BW covers that month, or ...

Edit: Nevermind, Phil just posted some on his tumblr: BW, X-Men, Inhuman, and Rocket, for a total of 20 variants in February. Go, Phil!

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By illmatic4177

Lemire on Hawkeye and Spencer on Ant-Man = 2 more excellent Marvel titles.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997 said:

Chances are he took Hawkeye to spite the new Arrow driven series, which I applaud him for.

I think it is just a bit of a coincidence.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By longbowhunter

@br_havoc said:

I really hope they keep Darla Deering around in Antman as his love interest they work very well together and it's goo to see Scott have some happiness in his life.

Same here. I really liked where they were heading in FF.

Surprised and excited to hear Hawkeye is continuing, with Jeff Lemire no less!

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The FF has always been my favorite Marvel book. I have read through practically the entirety of the series, from Stan and Jack, to the current James Robinson run. Really sad to see this go.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@captainmarvel4ever: Indeed it is. Indeed it is. I find it hilarious how DC got rid of the great Green Arrow writer in favor of making a continuity Arrow comic series while Marvel gains yet another great writer for Hawkeye. I love DC though, man, did they lose with this one. Poor Ollie.

Saddened to hear of this truly being the end of the Fantastic Four. Especially since they finally brought back the blue suits. Kirby is spinning in his grave. At least we all have back issues. I guess.

Excited for Antman. Now if only we got an Atom book DC.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: Yeah, I absolutely hate the new series, it sucks that WB gives more power to the CW instead of their comic department. Still, seeing Lemire spite Arrow like this really makes me wan to pick up Hawkeye (especially if he gets his classic costume back).

It does suck that the FF are going away, but your right this just gives me a chance to do some retroactive reading.

I really hope Ant-Man is a good series, because I love ants. I hope they don't make it a flat out comedy series, I want to see some real super heroics and mythos building in the book. Also an Atom book would be amazing if the right artist and writer took it on, so few people appreciate the character.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I see Scott Lang will slowly take over from Pym, which was to be expected. If we're lucky they might release a Pym series similar to Guardians 3000 but It's doubtful he'll be considered the main Antman for another while.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_stegman  Moderator

@captainmarvel4ever: You hate the new Green Arrow after one issue?? It's really not that bad, yeah, it's no Lemire, but I like the interractions between Bruce, Lex and Ollie and I'm interested to see how /this/ Felicity will play out.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: The new series basically wiped away everything Lemire had done. I was actually one of the few people who was very positive about the new series, but that first issue shut me up very quickly.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@captainmarvel4ever: I have yet to pick up the series though I hate the idea of it totally being turned into Arrow. I wouldn't mind they kept what Lemire did though from what I heard they completely did away with it. It was already bad enough that Roy and Black Canary weren't a huge part of Green Arrow's life and it was cool to see Lemire give us a new Arrow family. Now that is done away with too.

My grandpa has every issue from #6 to #100. I'll start reading those when I need my Fantastic Four fix.

Me and you should try and convince DC to let us do an Atom book. We shall represent that small fanbase for the Mighty Mite.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@captainmarvel4ever: I love some of the things Lemire did to it, especially Kimiko and the various clans, others...I don't really miss, namely Naomi and Fyff, to be honest, I prefer Felicity to Naomi, as they essentially fill the same role, and Diggle to Fyff. So, I DO hope the clans at least make another appearance, as well as Kimiko, but I'm still liking this new series, and I'm curious as to what they have Planned for Mia Dearden (I miss Sorrentino's art A LOT though).

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazyscarecrow: Yeah they basically got rid of everything he built up in his run, and they did it within the span of a page. I was actually one of the few people being positive about the change, but I have completely flopped my perspective. Apparently now GA's family is going to be Diggle.... and Felicity..... ugh.

Man your so lucky, nobody else in my family has any comics, I'd kill to get my hands on an old collection.

I'd love that, there is so much untapped story potential that the character has that I'd love to see pan out. If I ever were to write the Atom, I'd write it the same way as I'd write the Fantastic Four, make it all about exploration and super science, try to give it a good mix of classic and modern comics.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By lagozzino
    @captainmarvel4ever said:

Also, sad to see FF end because of movies.

Well that's one possible reason for why its ending. Another possibility is that the book sells horribly.

For September, "Fantastic Four" was Marvel's 28th worst selling title, which doesn't sound too bad until you realize that the only things it outsold were spin-offs, titles featuring cult characters, and a Hulk annual.

"Avengers World" sells under 30,000 copies? That's a shame, but its just a spin-off that was created to sponge off of the audience of the other successful Avengers books. If it gets cancelled, the franchise will still thrive. But, "Fantastic Four" sells under 30,000 copies? Well that's just embarrassing. That one book currently represents the whole FF comic franchise, and it still can't garner interest. Its supposed to be a top-tier, flagship book yet its currently Marvel's worst-selling flagship by a large margin.

The readership just isn't there right now. That's all there is to it.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lagozzino: I tracked the numbers, and the book wasn't even near cancellation numbers.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Thank God Hawkeye is getting a new writer.Maybe i'll start reading it again

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ant-Man book... not about Hank Pym.... D: Dreams officially crushed... they could at least announce where he's showing up next since they have plans...

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
    BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does it have to be one of my favorite writers with one of my least favorite characters? I wish Spencer did a Pym book.

*cries*

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lagozzino

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@lagozzino: I tracked the numbers, and the book wasn't even near cancellation numbers.

Its not just that the numbers are low (which they are). Its that the numbers for a supposed flagship book are this low. Again, the only titles that sell less than "Fantastic Four" are spin-offs and cult books. When a supposedly really important franchise can only outsell the likes of "She-Hulk" and "All-New Doop", that shows a very clear problem. There is a lack of readers who are interested in these characters. And Marvel can either wait a year for the book to hemorrhage another 5,000 readers and get cancelled for embarrassingly low sales, or they can just cut the book off now, give people a chance to miss it, and then eventually try to retool it into something that readers may actually care about checking out.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lagozzino: We already know Marvel is making editorial decisions to hinder Fox owned properties, and because unlike the X-Man the FF are only 1 series, it won't hurt Marvel to get rid of it. It doesn't have anything to do with being a "flagship title" it's just that the series does not fit Disney's best interests at the moment.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DrellAssassin

@lagozzino: We already know Marvel is making editorial decisions to hinder Fox owned properties, and because unlike the X-Man the FF are only 1 series, it won't hurt Marvel to get rid of it. It doesn't have anything to do with being a "flagship title" it's just that the series does not fit Disney's best interests at the moment.

Do we really "know" that?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin: Yeah we've gotten confirmation for some sources, including Chris Claremont that Marvel is treating Fox properties differently.

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does it have to be one of my favorite writers with one of my least favorite characters? I wish Spencer did a Pym book.

*cries*

^this

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*cries*

And the thing is, I honestly strongly dislike Lang as he is a relatively bland character, espcially compared to Pym (My #1 favorite character) and O'Grady (who went out well) butI'll be getting this because a) the team is awesome and b) maybe Marvel will give Hank a spinoff series if Scott becomes a star. Not happy about this though, it feels like I'm betraying Hank.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Ok, sure, Marvel is cancelling a book that turns a profit of maybe a few thousand dollars just to spite a multi-million dollar movie production that will spend more money on catering than the FF comic franchise has generated in a year. Makes total sense, especially when you consider that Fox gains no money from the comics, and that the movies have already been shown to have an audience that dwarfs the sales of the comic a thousand times over. How can they make a hit movie without an unpopular comic being published at the same time?
    Cancelling the comic = Fox getting totally hindered.

You can either concoct ridiculous conspiracy theories that stop making sense the moment you hear yourself saying them out loud, or you can just accept that a comic franchise you like is no longer popular and has embarrassingly bad sales. I get it; it sucks to see that something you really like is unpopular. While looking up the FF sales figures earlier, I saw how low some of my favorite Vertigo titles sell and it legitimately made me sad, but I'm not gonna pretend that they're selling poorly because DC is trying to suppress the Vertigo brand or something equally as preposterous as that.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad to see Fraction and co leaving bu glad Hawkeye still has is book, and Ant-man getting his own series is nice. Sucks the focus is on Scott, but I'm hoping they have something interesting for Hank, that helps the character and not further shoves him into the background.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
    BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beholdthevison: Yeah, I'd love that. Pym has always been the most interesting Ant-Man, and I've always had a soft spot for O'Grady. Lang seems like a character who could change his personality in an instant to match the story. O'Grady and Pym are much more deserving for an ongoing. I may try out the new series, since Spencer is extremely good at continuity and tries to make the character act how they've acted in previous stories. While I'm extremely disappointed Lang is the star, Spencer will more than likely do a good job writing him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.