Do people read this crap?

#1 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

I picked this up because I was trying to read Endangered Species chapter 2, which was scrawled on the top of the cover. I liked the Endangered Species part of it, but the rest of it? I can't figure out what it has to do with anything. the art is ridiculous, and not in the good sense.

What does any of this have to do with the X-men? There are demons and whole panels of nothing but overly saturated pictures. I tried getting into it but just couldn't. Is there a reason I should care about anything going on in this series? I can't remember the last time I disliked a book this much.

#2 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really paying attention to Endangered Species at all.....

#3 Posted by Liverwurst (881 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#4 Posted by Liverwurst (881 posts) - - Show Bio

Phorqe says:

"I picked this up because I was trying to read Endangered Species chapter 2, which was scrawled on the top of the cover. I liked the Endangered Species part of it, but the rest of it? I can't figure out what it has to do with anything. the art is ridiculous, and not in the good sense.What does any of this have to do with the X-men? There are demons and whole panels of nothing but overly saturated pictures. I tried getting into it but just couldn't. Is there a reason I should care about anything going on in this series? I can't remember the last time I disliked a book this much."

The arc wasn't so great, but it's actually a pretty decent series.

#5 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Liverwurst says:

"Phorqe says:
"I picked this up because I was trying to read Endangered Species chapter 2, which was scrawled on the top of the cover. I liked the Endangered Species part of it, but the rest of it? I can't figure out what it has to do with anything. the art is ridiculous, and not in the good sense.What does any of this have to do with the X-men? There are demons and whole panels of nothing but overly saturated pictures. I tried getting into it but just couldn't. Is there a reason I should care about anything going on in this series? I can't remember the last time I disliked a book this much."

The arc wasn't so great, but it's actually a pretty decent series."

Agreed.

#6 Posted by Liverwurst (881 posts) - - Show Bio

The one problem is that it hasn't been out for that long but it keeps reinventing itself every few issues.

#7 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

Can they get an artist without down syndrome? I don't mind comics being somewhat Manga styled, but this is heinous.

#8 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like the way its drawn.

#9 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no problem with X-men's art. The style works, just New X-men irritates me, too much.

#10 Posted by Cryo-Wolf (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

New X-Men is one of the best X-Men comics out there! I love the idea of the next generation, and the drawing is kick-ass!

#11 Posted by Alora (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I love the style, and find it a refreshing change from the norm. Though I understand what you're saying, I wouldn't want to see it on all the comics. About the actual story, you can't really expect to get what's going on when you come in right at the end of an arc can you? I admit it wasn't anything spectacular, but it wasn't bad.
Post Edited:2007-08-19 23:08:17

#12 Posted by Lantern Prime (13044 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait a second! This is the "Endangered Species" mini-series? This is an embarssment! Or at least it looks like it!

#13 Posted by -000 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"I actually like the way its drawn.

That is art from the X-Men comic, not New X-Men.

I don't read New X-Men because I barely know any of the characters.

#14 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how what was going on has anything to do with anything else going on, Endangered Species, etc. Are they going to bring back Ilyana? Didn't they do that in the 80's? First they bring Colossus back, now her... I dunno, not a big fan.

As for the art, it just seems way too sugary and packaged for my taste. Like something Disney would make as a comic book (other than Gargoyles, which is awesome.)I really don't want to bash the whole series based on one issue. I just don't like what I've seen so far.

Oh yeah, what was the old New X-men(2000) about? It had regular X-men in it, didn't it?

#15 Posted by Alora (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Look, I'm not going to give anything away, but again if you did actually read the rest of the arc you would know what's going on. As for it being Disney, I don't know where you got that idea, but I digress. Anyway, I still stand by the artwork, it has it's flaws, but overall it's good.
Post Edited:2007-08-22 22:35:39

#16 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you read your crap? Do I read your crap? SHH! Don't answer that, me...he'll never know if you don't give it away...

#17 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

The Disney comment was about the art. I probably would get it if I read the arc, but I am still annoyed by them bringing back Magick, she's been dead for at least ten years now, right? What's the point?

#18 Posted by Alora (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll admit I really, and I mean really, am not a fan of the whole resurrection/bringing-dead-characters-back-in-general thing. I mean it has turned the industry into a joke to so many people. I find myself reading an issue where somebody dies and honestly not caring because, lets face it, they're coming back.

Though I did, in what I've read from years past, like the characters of Amanda Sefton/Illyana Rasputin. So I think if they are actually taking this plot somewhere (and by that I mean somewhere good) then that's great, I'll let the back-from-the-dead part pass. Knowing comics of late though, I'll probably end up eating my words, and we'll have yet another arc that takes apart old characters that were better left as is.

PS. I know you were talking about the artwork, I still disagree with the Disney thing.

#19 Posted by Selvokaz (200 posts) - - Show Bio

Phorqe says:

"I picked this up because I was trying to read Endangered Species chapter 2, which was scrawled on the top of the cover. I liked the Endangered Species part of it, but the rest of it? I can't figure out what it has to do with anything. the art is ridiculous, and not in the good sense. What does any of this have to do with the X-men? There are demons and whole panels of nothing but overly saturated pictures. I tried getting into it but just couldn't. Is there a reason I should care about anything going on in this series? I can't remember the last time I disliked a book this much."

I thought I was the only one on this entire planet who didn't like this whole arc. You are not alone when it comes to Scottie Young, I'm am no fan of his, and it saddens me really that people will give him more prays than someone who actually puts effort into their panels/layouts. If New X-Men's fanbase was made up 14 year olds and under I could understand putting him on this title. Especially if it started out drawn in such a manner and thus attracted a huge following because of it, but it really is a artistic turn off to me.

The reasons why I don't like the story arc is more based on the dialog and interactions of the characters. They seem so unlike what was previously written using such characters. I think out of all of this the only good thing is that the Cuckoos actually got used in the New X-Men series as oppose to some other title that isn't directedly connected to New X-Men. Oh and of course im no huge fan of Anole and Pixie but seeing them actually do something is a very cool twist. I guess they are about to phase David out and make Anole a secondary or even thirdary? Back up leader.
Post Edited:2007-08-30 00:16:15

#20 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

Selvokaz says:

"Phorqe says:
"I picked this up because I was trying to read Endangered Species chapter 2, which was scrawled on the top of the cover. I liked the Endangered Species part of it, but the rest of it? I can't figure out what it has to do with anything. the art is ridiculous, and not in the good sense. What does any of this have to do with the X-men? There are demons and whole panels of nothing but overly saturated pictures. I tried getting into it but just couldn't. Is there a reason I should care about anything going on in this series? I can't remember the last time I disliked a book this much."

I thought I was the only one on this entire planet who didn't like this whole arc. You are not alone when it comes to Scottie Young, im am no fan of his, and it saddens me really that people will give him more prize than someone who actually puts effort into their panels/layouts."

I think the concept of New X-men is good, so far I like what I've read about them in X-men 200-202. I agree with you about the lack of effort making panels. There were a lot of lazy close ups of a lot of characters. I think this books might be something I could get into if they took another direction with it. I'll look back into it in a few months.

#21 Posted by grimm (525 posts) - - Show Bio

It's actually an awesome series. This arc was crap because it was mainly just about Belasco trying to find Magik

#22 Posted by grimm (525 posts) - - Show Bio

I know. It's completely hard to follow and the only GOOD character in it is Beast

#23 Posted by Spyder (3 posts) - - Show Bio

endangered species arc was really not that good.. but if you have been following the new x men team,, i think you'd like the whole series.. give it a try man, not every issue is as bad as the one you last read... Merry Christmas!

#24 Posted by irongirl (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Who drew it?

#25 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked the New X-men. And how good was the Quest of Magik arc? I want to get it. It looks really good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.