illyana_rasputin's New X-Men #41 - Quest for Magik, Conclusion; Endangered Species, Chapter 8 review

New X-Men # 41

The "Quest For Magik" concludes, as the Darkchilde seeks vengeance against Belasco for resurrecting her without her soul, and casting her out of Limbo to fend for herself. Meanwhile, the students of the Xavier Institute of Higher Learning are being tormented by the demonic sorcerer, who demands to know where Illyana Rasputin is following the events of House of M.  Darkchilde attempts to teach Pixie magic, in order to create a new Soulsword with which to kill Belasco, and regain control of Limbo.

First off, let me admit I am not the biggest fan of Skottie Young's art. Not every artist can produce works on the scale of Alex Ross, Adam Hughes, and the Hildebrandt Brothers on a regular basis, but the pencils are too cartoonish for my taste. It reminds me a lot of Kaare Andrews' work. Some people like that, I thought the resurrection of Illyana Rasputin warranted something a bit more...I don't know "epic"? It's taken me some time to get used to Christopher Yost and Craig Kyle's re-introduction of my favorite character into the Marvel Universe, but as I have watched the story unfold in the pages of the New Mutants, I must say the writers are working together to make Magik's tale even more disheartening. Kudos! Little Snowflake not only gets pulled from the abyss, but is then disowned for not being herself. What's a girl to do? Illyana intends to collect five blood stones, and summon the Elder Gods. It's a natural inclination that comes with being a soulless construct. I give New X-Men # 41 3 out of 5 stars. The storytelling was fair, but  the art did not speak to me. The arc as a whole could have been so much better if handled by a different artist.

Other reviews for New X-Men #41 - Quest for Magik, Conclusion; Endangered Species, Chapter 8

The Fate of Illyana Rasputin 0

I think the only reason New X-Men isn't out selling all the other X-Titles is because the roster is probably unknown to the casual fan. No other X-Title has enjoyed the consistent quality for as long as the New X-Men has. The worst issues of New X-Men are still worth picking up, and that can't be said about all comic books. I say this at a time that almost all X-Men comic books are actually good right now, but that's because all the writers have been on the book for over a year. Yost and Kyle ha...

end of an arc / comeback in progress 0

im pretty sure this leads into X-Infernus - but theres no mention of it here (negative a half star).. otherwise a great issue, and a very trim conclusion. 2 students not pulled into Limbo, have finally made it into the fray and chalk up some haevy hits right away. also to the rescue, is Darkchild. not undue any credit is Pixie, who provided the new portal with a little training in dark arts. so everyones in the same place since the arc began. now they just need to make it back to the real world....