gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

This second issue picks up immediately where the first left off. In some ways, the direction here is a little strange for one of Marvel's relaunch titles. In most new series, we see the characters already established and underway in their current adventures. In some cases, it's like time has passed since their last appearance and we're jumping into the action. What Chris Yost is doing is showing us what happens before that. The series is called THE NEW WARRIORS but we still don't actually have a team (besides Justice and Speedball). We do have plenty of characters fighting a common threat that we assume will all join forces in the midst of this battle. In some ways, this is a fascinating approach as we see more of the evolution or birth of the team. This is something some might want to see handled immediately but it further emphasizes that these are all individual characters and not just random parts of a whole.

Seeing the attack on several different fronts gives the story a bigger feel. I was a huge fan of the original NEW WARRIORS but a lot of their adventures were kind of small scale. How all these characters come together and how they will get along, if that's even possible with some (Kaine is still angry at pretty much everything).

Besides seeing some of these characters within the pages, it's great seeing Marcus To's art on a monthly series again. I've really missed his work and his run with Yost on RED ROBIN remains one of my favorites. Despite the dire situation the characters are in, there's an optimistic feeling overall due to To's art and depiction of the characters. It especially makes me want to return to read the next issue.

The Bad

I mentioned how we're getting to see the team develop and come together. This could be a problem for some since most of them are no where even near each other. We're starting to see some come together. This could be a test of patience for those seeking an immediate unification.

We also have some characters we might not be too familiar with so there is the possibility of a lack of connection with these unknown quantities. For example, the new Inhuman on the subway--I have no real opinion on him and haven't decided if I care about him or not.

The Verdict

Too often we see new superhero teams magically come together. With incarnation of the New Warriors, Chris Yost is taking the time to present a scenario which will potentially bring them all together against a common threat. This might limit some of the interaction we would normally get in a team book but it gives the series a feeling that Yost is looking at the big picture rather than rushing the story along. Marcus To's art is always great to see. He gives his characters a youthful zeal that cranks up their enthusiasm and the tone of the book. It's refreshing to see a relaunch series that truly feels new instead of more of the same. It's time to "get your war on" with the New Warriors.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I actually thought it was cool to see Kaine get his butt handed to him albeit if only for a moment *Aracely RULES!!*

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By akbogert

I actually thought it was cool to see Kaine get his butt handed to him albeit if only for a moment *Aracely RULES!!*

Yeah, I can see how it might annoy/worry people that Yost runs the risk of playing favorites, but as one of the folks drawn to this book particularly for Kaine and Aracely, I'm consistently enjoying their parts the most.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By RaggedScarecrow

I love this book, but I'm worried about the cast size. There's so many characters here that I'm concerned Yost won't be able to give everyone the necessary panel time they deserve.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@akbogert said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

Yeah, I can see how it might annoy/worry people that Yost runs the risk of playing favorites, but as one of the folks drawn to this book particularly for Kaine and Aracely, I'm consistently enjoying their parts the most.

...yeah.

I'm not sure I'll be able to read the book for long unless they're consistently main parts >_>. I didn't care for most of it when Kaine and Aracely weren't on screen :3

what can i say.

Y U CANCEL SCARLET SPIDER MARVEL!?!?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Am I the only guy who wants to read it because of the Warriors, and not because of Kaine?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@fallschirmjager said:
    @akbogert said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

...yeah.

I'm not sure I'll be able to read the book for long unless they're consistently main parts >_>. I didn't care for most of it when Kaine and Aracely weren't on screen :3

what can i say.

Y U CANCEL SCARLET SPIDER MARVEL!?!?

Ugh this. i might give it up soon.

GUYS!!! This is a Yost book!!! It shouldn't matter if Kaine is a main focus or not because Yost is just plain awesome!! Kaine being in it is just icing on the already delicious cake!

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By waezi2

GUYS!!! This is a Yost book!!! It shouldn't matter if Kaine is a main focus or not because Yost is just plain awesome!! Kaine being in it is just icing on the already delicious cake!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By danhimself

@theacidskull: wait until the end of the first arc before you drop it....I bet you change your mind before the last issue

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

@theacidskull: wait until the end of the first arc before you drop it....I bet you change your mind before the last issue

I plan on to. Yost deserves that much and more, but just saying, so far I don't care about any character aside from Kaine and Arcely.

I grew up on the on the original New Warriors series so while Justice and Speedball don't rank on my favorite characters list they do have some appeal to me but I can see why you would say that but I think Yost usually does a fantastic job of making readers care for unknown characters...just look at Academy X/New X-men

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.