undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

The High Evolutionary has teamed up with...is this right The Evolutionary? They weren’t ALWAYS together?...okay, if you insist. Chris Yost has brought together some of Marvel’s best B and C-listers (seriously, how is Darkhawk NOT on this team??) to take on the beings that are, apparently, keeping the Celestials at bay. That’s right, this issue we learn that the Evolutionaries are killing the few to save the many, but since the few haven’t actually done anything wrong, are they even close to in the right? This issue gives us a great fight that’s seemingly been building since the first issue, and it’s quite the brawl, involving everyone using their extremely diverse and interesting power set in a cool way. And, of course, Scarlet Spider being called Spider-Man is always a treat for his reaction.

There’s some incredible linework in here from artist Marcus To, giving everything a cartoonish, kinetic feel. Cartoonish doesn't mean lacking in detail, however, and there's a tremendous amount of small effects and characterizations that makes each panel stand out. Of course the colors by David Curiel are a massive part of what makes the visuals pop off the page and set the tone of bright, animated action. This is another book that uses tinting on panels to set a tone with incredible economy.

The Bad

I enjoy this book, but it feels somewhat paint-by-numbers, especially with what’s going on in other Marvel titles. This book feels very much like it’s going through the motions, even despite the sharp dialog, though there's been very little character development so far, which I'm hoping changes as the team coheres and we need less exposition. Also I can’t emphasize this enough: there’s a faction called the Evolutionary and a man called the High Evolutionary and they’ve never even heard of each other until the few months before this issue. That's not necessarily this book's fault as both factions existed beforehand, but It feels like if Kirk Langstrom had turned himself into, and called himself, Man-Bat without having heard of or met Batman. This specifically didn't affect the score, it's more a personal gripe.

The action jumps around a lot from page-to-page, and even panel-to-panel, at one point Speedball seems shocked to see Namorita, but it’s never made clear as to why and the action on the next page shifts entirely. That's just one example but are other times like this when it feels like dialog or even entire panels are missing. Ultimately this feels like two issues were hastily compressed into one.

The Verdict

This isn’t a bad issue by any stretch, and the good parts outweigh the bad to the point that I’m very much looking forward to what next issue brings. I think it’s a great shift to see a cast of also-rans taking on a massive, world-ending plot where none of the A-listers are even aware of it as it lends some really fresh, interesting perspectives to the whole thing. This isn’t the strongest issue of the four, but based on the other three, and the parts of this one I like, I'm optimistic there’ll still be plenty to look forward to in this book.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If I am not mistaken Dark Hawk hasn't been heard from since War/Reign of Kings.

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nova_prime_: Dark-Hawk was last scene in Avengers Arena actually. I think he survived the island but wasn't in good shape. not 100% sure on that last part. u he was in it. although i wish i ca wipe that whole series and undercover from exsistence.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By tparks  Online

@nova_prime_: Darkhawk disappeared just when he became much more interesting. I don't get why he is so unliked.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, Namorita is back?

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if and or when yost turns speedball back into penance then ill check out this book but from what ive heard about the last 3 books im not missing out

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By waezi2

Cant wait till I get my hands on this!

Wait, Namorita is back?

No, she just looks like her. Sorry.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RaggedScarecrow

@shadowx: No you're right. Darkhawk was last seen leaving Murderworld on a stretcher with the Darkhawk amulet, which Chase presumably gave back to him.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Aw man, I was so excited...

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowx: Thanks for the disappointing update ;) Another of my favorite characters that was better off left where time forgot him :)

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dman1366

@undeadpool uh is that the best song by Pearl Jam? I think so!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@undeadpool Speedball was shocked because Namorita is dead and that character looks a lot like her

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: But it seams that Water Snake has a connection to Nita. She said something about letting her down in issue three.

zhis616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zhis616

@waezi2: actually Namorita is alive just in comic book limbo. At the end of the last Nova series, during Realm of Kings, Nova rescued a time displaced Namorita before she died in Civil War. Last alive with the rest of the Nova Corps

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zhis616: I read somewhere that she returned to her own timeline.

zhis616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: I'll have to recheck the issue but I remember Nova's thoughts were something like "screw the timeline rules, this is my old dead girlfriend". Maybe she did in between issues.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zhis616: Or maybe it's a off-screen thing some writer made up. Wouldn't have been the first time it happened.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

....still only reading cos Aracely and Kaine.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zhis616: I was wrong, my bad.

@zhis616 said:

"screw the timeline rules, this is my old dead girlfriend".

Good old Rich:)

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

@fallschirmjager: absolutely not! Scarlet Spider was the best book marvel had

I feel like we're agreeing but your comment insinuates otherwise.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: hahaha I admit I can be an ass, but I am dead serious. My favorite issue was the rodeo one, not the best action comic ever, but I love character development; and I was rooting for Kaine and Annabelle for almost a year. That is why the ending bummed me out...

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366: ...again I agree...I'm reading this cos Kaine and Aracely are in it...

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Everyone's comments has confused me somewhat but yeah, I agree about Darkhawk, he should be on this team. To be fair, I only know of the New Warriors because of the whole Civil War thing so curiosity is propelling me at this point to keep buying this book. I don't mean that in a bad way because I do like it but as a new fan (who isn't rich), this might not stay on my pull list.

A couple of the guys remind me of 90's Gambit. In clothes and attitude.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

Does anyone else find it hilarious that Kaine keeps getting called Spider-Man?

Tiamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't Nova bring Namorita back?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.