What do we think about the new New Mutants Creative team?

#1 Edited by SC (12910 posts) - - Show Bio

as of May's issue #25: co-writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, along with artist Leandro Fernández. 

"What made you want to do New Mutants?" "What made us do it was Mr. Lowe asking us to do it," Abnett said, adding that both the comic books and the X-Books influenced them when they were aspiring writers.

Lanning says they're very lucky to be able to write what they "grew up reading," and that there's no "major league comics fan who can say they aren't a fan of the X-Books." "I couldn't be more thrilled to have them on this book," Lowe said, saying that they were the first people he called after Zeb Wells said he had to leave the book. Question from Marvel's James Viscardi - based on last week's teaser, why are the New Mutants going after X-Man and Blink? "At no point in this book or any other book do the New Mutants call themselves 'the New Mutants,'" Lowe clarifies, saying "They are full-fledged X-Men."

Lowe says the reason the title is called New Mutants is because that's what the title has always been called, but that's not what they're called in the comics. "This is an X-Man team in every respect except for the title of the book," Abnett said. "They are going out looking for the things that the X-community has not had time to picked up, loose ends and things left dangling." He adds that since X-Man is so powerful, he's a priority.

"He's X-Royalty that needs to be relocated," Abnett adds, speaking of Nate Grey's status as the biological son of Cyclops and Jean Grey. Lanning says the arc is tentatively called "Unfinished Business." "We don't want to reveal too much," Lanning said, pointing out that the status of Nate Grey is an important part of the beginning of the story.

Lowe added that there's also a "fair amount of kissing" in the comic. Lanning said they'll be developing "What's already there," specifically the relationship between Danni and Sam, calling it "fertile ground for kissage." Lanning suggested there might be a "curveball" romantically, but Abnett jokingly corrected him, saying that would be a "twist and surprise."

"At the end of the first arc there will be some changes," Lowe added. "We are enormously fond of the classic era New Mutants book," Abnett said. Lowe joked, "Please don't spoil your upcoming storyline where every character becomes morbidly obese because you liked it when it happened to Karma back in the day." Abnett said that in their first issue there are characters that would technically be considered "guest stars," but are in fact "characters who are there because they need to be there."

Another press question: "Who is the Groot of this book?" "'I am Warlock' will become a new phrase," Lanning joked. What will Cypher's role be in the book? Abnett said "the potential there is enormous. The powerset is intriguing, and has some unexpected possibilities." "I see him as quite a major player in what we want to do in the long-term," Abnett said.

Next question (from me) - what about seeing Wolfsbane in the book? "The New Mutants have a very drawn-out 'no pregnant ladies' rule," Lowe joked. "For right now, she's very happy over with Peter David who has some unbelievable plans with Wolfsbane that will floor people." Next question concerned Blink - Abnett said the character has the potential to "take things to a slightly new dynamic," and the fact that she's off-center from the mainstream X-continuity is attractive. Lanning said using characters like that sparks research of older stories, which often sparks ideas.

"You're given characters with such a wealth of continuity and backstory," Lanning said. "You let your mind wander. It's a great source of creative fun." Final press question, a big one - who's the artist on the book? Lowe: "We can do more than tease." "Our main artist on the series is Leandro Fernandez." Wrapping things up - New Mutants #25, out in May, co-written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning and illustrated by Leandro Fernandez.

Apologies if its hard to read, I presume I can't copy whole articles from other sites so a bit of cut and paste. OG source is Newsarama or something...
#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah, I didn't realise this had been announced!  I know DNA have a good reputation, so I'm happy they're on this, but... 

Lowe added that there's also a "fair amount of kissing" in the comic. Lanning said they'll be developing "What's already there," specifically the relationship between Danni and Sam, calling it "fertile ground for kissage."  

Noooooo!!  Does anyone actually like this relationship?  :( 
#3 Posted by SC (12910 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:  Only people who are projecting or something. Crazy people. Dani and Sam being together is like Storm and Cyclops being together lol. Plus X-Men needs more strong gender different friendships that don't involve Wolverine. AKA I agree. 

Ugh. 
#4 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha that quote made me cringe too. Anyway it look interesting but is it normal that the thing that got me the more exited is that Peter David have big plan for Rhane?

#5 Posted by SC (12910 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yumulu said:
" Haha that quote made me cringe too. Anyway it look interesting but is it normal that the thing that got me the more exited is that Peter David have big plan for Rhane? "

That got me interested too lol, I am a bigger X-Factor fan... 

Oh, and for anyone interested, or lazy, a quick link to the artist  
http://www.comicvine.com/leandro-fernandez/26-8271/ 

His work seems gritty, but I don't know him too well at all... ah well. I'll wait and see. 
#6 Posted by SC (12910 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty art is pretty. Wrap around cover I think. Yey is that Catseye?

#7 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC:  is that Splinter in the bottom right corner? Well there a lot of things  that feel off with that cover....
#8 Posted by SC (12910 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yumulu said:
" @SC:  is that Splinter in the bottom right corner? Well there a lot of things  that feel off with that cover.... "

lol  

I believe it is. Yes. Its a cross promo thing. I hear that Cassandra Nova will show up in Krang's robot uh guy... chest thing... ?!?!? 0_o 

Thats not Magma either its Carrie going nuts...
#9 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC:  Well they did say there gonna be guest stars.
#10 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks great. I can't wait for May.

#11 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

You're both so cruel to Rahne.  We're used to seeing her as a savage beastie, so it's nice to see her as a soft Andrex puppy for a change ;)

#12 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as Magik doesn't go back being jubilee-esque (read NM #21 Slumber Party) and behaves more like a foreigner in America, I'll be happy.

#13 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

wanna see more Sam/Bobby. They played off each really well in The Return of Legion Arc as well as Necrosha. Wanna finally see Bobby and Magma have very hot love making!

More of Cypher too please!

#14 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed New Mutants 25 and I'm happy in its new direction.

I want more Cannonball/Iceman bromance! i'm cool with the Dani/Sam relationship too.
#15 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

Bromances are awesome! I loved how Sam interacts with both Bobby's (Sunspot and Iceman). Sam and Bobby were awesome in Blinded by the Light Arc.

I'm also cool with Sam and Dani being an item :D

#16 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
I actually like the set up of this team. 
#17 Posted by madrid_san (1805 posts) - - Show Bio

Sam is out FOR NOW ONLY I believe due to injury. So he is probably a short term loss only

Karma is out so she can cope with her injury and help Face.

Magik is out due to suspension.

Am I missing anyone?

So that leaves

Sunspot

Cypher

Moonstar

Warlock

Magma

is this correct?    

#18 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like there might be some surprise characters dropping in.  I'm praying for boomer, rhane, rictor or warpath.

Heres a link to the interview @ newarama:  
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-mutants-abnett-lanning-110516.html

#19 Posted by Jake Fury (18319 posts) - - Show Bio

*mumbles* Stupid comic shop was out of this...
#20 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

Also whats up with illyana being sidelined, then showing up in this MMXI ad?  I dont think shes going to be sidelined for long.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/73793/1684160-detail_super.jpg

#21 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't think too much about the "side-lined" label. They will all be back sooner rather than later. This is just to establish  the story and I am sure each "side-lined" member will be written back into the story ASAP :D Atleast I am just trying to convince myself of this lol

#22 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I've not been impressed so far.  The writing is tighter, but over-all it's still a mediocre title that doesn't know how to differentiate itself.  There's still too much dependency on the X-Men, Utopia & Cyclops.  I don't think this new creative team is going to change my mind about this New Mutants volume :(

#23 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think this new team is going to get to do much with the book until the fear itself tie in is over. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.