Follow

New Mutants

Team » New Mutants appears in 1671 issues.

The New Mutants are a team of young mutants in training at Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters.

So.... who dies?

[turbo]

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By [turbo]

No Caption Provided
    The solicitation is clear that someone isn't staying with the team, either they die, or get left somewhere, who knows? We know it's not Dani or Illyana (dat ass). So what are your guesses?
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By jordama

My guess, Sam
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

Bobby.  He's had hardly any time in the spotlight; Zeb Wells has admitted that he writes more for the characters that he's learning to understand, therefore someone like Sunspot who he feels he knows hasn't had much chance to shine. 

Or Shan.  It only took 4 issues to get rid of her the first time around.  This time, it'll have been over a year.

While I'm not convinced they're going to kill someone off, I do find myself caring less & less.  What was a promising start to a new series, has drifted into all new depths of character ignorance.

[turbo]

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By [turbo]
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "

I do find myself caring less & less.  What was a promising start to a new series, has drifted into all new depths of character ignorance.

"
    Having to be involved in the recent conflicts hurt this book a bit more than others. The new story arc has my interest and the triangle posse looks like it will be fun to read about. The 2 setup issues are pretty brutal, but I hope they are ready to start moving in a forward direction. 
    Earthfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Earthfall

With Sam's leadership fiasco, I'll reckon he'll be left behind. Or Sunspot. Magik and Moonstar get all the spotlight, so they aren't going anywhere. Magma, Cypher and Karma have all had pretty nasty stuff happen to them recently. So surely it'll be Cannonball or Sunspot, just too even things out.

MoonstoneEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MoonstoneEvil

Is it definite that Illyana and Dani won't get killed? Or is that just going by the cover?

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By papad1992

Well let's see: 
    Moonstar: Been focused on the most (besides Illyana), depowered which is odd in a mix of mutants. Coming out as a good leader... Plus she's on the damn cover!?! 
    Cannonball: With his downfall record I think he's the likely choice. But then again, he has been apart of the X-Men for awhile, so it won't probably be him. 
    Magik: So many unanswered questions about her, and they keep getting more complicated... Plus she's on the cover!! 
    Magma: She had her spotlight in Necrosha as being the main target for Selene. Plus, she has a lot of frame time in other books. 
    Karma: Recently lost a limb so they probably won't kill her off...yet! But then again, it's Marvel were talking about, so it's a posibility. 
    Cypher: Just returned from the dead.... So it definitely won't be him, with all his "language". 
    Warlock: Again, just returned from the dead/ space/ whatever... 
    Sunspot: Really hasn't had any special treatment in any book, and he's been mainly a background character... even for the New Mutants book! He's my choice.
    or 
    Wolfsbane: I know she's not on the team but maybe she's been rejected from X-Factor so she's coming to join the New Mutants and is turned down or dies a child birth, idk.

Warpath Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Warpath Storm
    @xerox-kitty:
    I agree with you....but i do have to say i care less about the book but not the characters........I hope no one dies.....or maybe hopefully it will be legion.....Im weird and care about any and all mutants....we just got a lot of the people back from being in the back ground for far to long.........i very much dislike x-force being so small.......i liked it when sunspot and all of them were on there...........im prob going to cry if anyone dies or gets left behind......and is the book ending?
    Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Backflip

Sunspot is on the solicits for new books in the series... 

I'm now guessing either Karma, or Magma. I haven't seen either of them on the covers for the next few months, which gives me my doubts.

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

I'm guessing it's going to be Sunspot, Magik has told Sunspot it's supposed to be Amara who dies, but I'm guessing he's going to do something to intervene, obviously something romantic and cute because he's always had the hots for Amara.... So I'm guessing he'll do something to save Amara but will lead to his death... thats my two cents!

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @IllyanaRasputin: I thought that after I read that scene.  With Magik telling us that he loves Amara more than she loves him, it seems likely that he'll make some sort of grand self-sacrificing gesture that will somehow save her life... 

After all, it's pretty dull to repeatedly threaten to kill the same character.  Magma was one of those lined up to be killed off in Second Coming... and that was just months after she survived being beaten with a metal bar by Cypher during Necrosha.  Do we really need yet another story where she's going to die? 
    unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By unicornpuncher

I really hope none of them die.  And I dont feel New Mutants has been that Dani focused.

Honestly I want Dani to get her powers back and them to bring on Boomer and Rictor.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By jordama
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By unicornpuncher
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PYH000
    @unicornpuncher said:
    " "
    Zeb Wells had admitted that there will be a death for the New Mutants. I went to a different forum and it may  be applied that "Magik 2.0" had died metaphorically, as in becoming human again after taking back her bloodstones.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @244: Don't you just hate it when they back out like that.  Then again, Zeb Wells also promised to change their uniforms.  He also claimed to have read all the back issue appearances of these characters, but seems to have stopped at New Mutants #50.  I can't even begin to understand why someone would write Cannonball & Moonstar starting a romantic relationship (when they're as close as brother & sister making it almost incestuous), or Sunspot falling in love with Magma (who he'd never been that close to)
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PYH000
    @xerox-kitty:  I can overlook the fact that the team still hadn't gotten new uniforms because I think he wants to conclude Magik's story as soon as possible, and at least none of the heroes died (literally). As for the Cannonball/Moonstar and Sunspot/Magma, it could get worst, imagine if Fraction or Chuck Austen writing it.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @244: *images...* 

*barfs...!*
    unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By unicornpuncher

Act@xerox-kitty:   Actually I could see the Sunspot and Magma thing, since Sunspot is a womanizer.  And I think part of it too was trying to give them some story time since they had nothing going on.  But, I cant see the Dani/Sam thing either.  Its a cute idea but they have been friends for so long I cant see them hooking up.

I really want to see more focus on sunspot and Dani repowered.  Im kinda bummed the reignfire thing never got covered with Sunspot and they really limit his powers.  He used to fly and be nothing but solar energy and now hes just a regular guy again with just strength?  Lame.

Also I gotta say this too, but lets get boom boom back into the fold!

PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PYH000
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @244: *images...*  *barfs...!* "
    (hands xerox-kitty a paper bag)
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Thunderscream
    @xerox-kitty: I'm so upset about these forced relationships. Cannanball and Dani? NO! Sunspot and Amara? NO! I had thought if anything had been referred to in the past, it was Sam's attraction to Amara. I'd see Sunspot wooing an older/much younger woman or someone from another team...like Kate Bishop (don't pelt me with rotten veggies!)
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Thunderscream: I totally agree...  Apart from the Kate Bishop part ;)  It would have made more sense to have Bobby & Dani hook up.  At least they used to be attracted to each other in the early days.  
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Thunderscream
    @unicornpuncher: I like that Sunspot's lost all that uber power. it's more interesting to have someone who's absorption of solar energy translates into strength without the benefit of invulnerability instead of turning him into just another fire powered guy.
    queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By queenfrost_

I think Magma...

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Thunderscream said:
    " @unicornpuncher: I like that Sunspot's lost all that uber power. it's more interesting to have someone who's absorption of solar energy translates into strength without the benefit of invulnerability instead of turning him into just another fire powered guy. "
    I wouldn't mind so much if: 
    1. He wasn't lying around & firing energy blasts in Uncanny X-Men yet incapable of doing the same in New Mutants; and 
    2. There was an explanation of how he was depowered back to his original power set.
    unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By unicornpuncher
    @Thunderscream: I dont think he was ever invulnerable, but he could shoot beams and fly which was pretty cool.  Also he didnt have a human form, he was stuck in that black crackling state.

Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Thunderscream
    @unicornpuncher: right. just another flying, fire shooting guy. boring.
    unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By unicornpuncher
    @Thunderscream:   I wonder if they do it to separate him from magma.  But either way making him more than just the "strong guy" was pretty cool.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Thunderscream
    @unicornpuncher: i think we're saying the exact same thing from totally oppositve persectives.

you see him as just another "strong guy" and think the flying, fire shooting Sunspot is more exciting.

i see the flying, fire shooter as a generic power set and prefer the absorption of solar energy to increase his strength, but without the benefit of invulnerability as interesting and unique.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xerox_kitty

It was because Zeb Wells preferred the 'classic' New Mutants.  That was all.  That's why Sunspot & Cannonball didn't display any of the power upgrades they received during their time in X-Force.

unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By unicornpuncher
    @Thunderscream said:
    " @unicornpuncher: i think we're saying the exact same thing from totally oppositve persectives.  you see him as just another "strong guy" and think the flying, fire shooting Sunspot is more exciting.  i see the flying, fire shooter as a generic power set and prefer the absorption of solar energy to increase his strength, but without the benefit of invulnerability as interesting and unique. "
    Totally true sir, glad to see it from another angle.  Any chance we can both agree that he needs to get more story time and development? 
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Thunderscream
    @unicornpuncher: agreed :) even if he suddenly "flames on" for Magma out of the blue
    unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By unicornpuncher

Haha then they can make babies that sometimes fly and sometimes shoot things, but not all the time.

Actually, magma rarely ever gets any airtime either.  Even with the black queen during necrosha, who if I remember correctly was kind of like her original creator.  I guess she was knocked out for most of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.