So wait a minute....

• 0 results
#1 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

I just finished reading New Mutants 40, and the cover for issue 41 has Blink along with Warlock, Amara, and Dani. Did she or didn't say she is with Logan's side? Or is this gonna be Dust all over again?

#2 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX:

Maybe it's a different version of her. There were a couple Blinks floating around if I remember. :P

#3 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: I don't think that's the case given that's the costume she wore when they found the 616 Blink.

#4 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Nudeviking: I don't think that's the case given that's the costume she wore when they found the 616 Blink.

Yeah I know. This is going to be Dust again, or maybe New Mutants jump ship and ally up with Wolverine and his crew.

#5 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: I doubt that last one big time. Scott gave them their mission, respect, and faith which is more than they got from anyone else. Dani pretty much summed this up in issue 33 when they decided to stay on Scott's side.

#6 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX:

Wolverine decided he needed a shirtless shaman to drink beers with? I dunno...I got nothing.

Someone done goofed!

#7 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: Logan and Nate never got along really. They tolerate each other. Besides Nate would stay with Scott's side cause of his dad and Hope. But that's beside the point.

Someone may have goofed or.....maybe this was their plan all along? *Twilight Zone music*

#8 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX:

All joking aside, does Nate have any kind of relationship with Hope? New Mutants isn't a book I always pick up and Generation Hope...the only redeeming thing about that book was that in the last issue it was the last issue (and also the might have inadvertently created a decent returning villain). I mean genetically he's the same dude as Cable, but they are two very, very different guys. Cable's got all kind of guns and ammo and junk and Nate's got...um...no shoes.

#9 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: Hope was supposed to help train Nate to survive without his powers. We saw some of this in issue 33 when he talks with her while training about wanting to get to know Scott, and they talk about how crazy their family is.

The word you are looking for Hope is "Uncle".

Side note: I would love for a Nate Grey/Hope Summers partnership like the one Dick and Damian had. I think it would work well for both of them. Cable had Rachel, I think the inverse would be interesting to see. But Nate needs his powers back.

#10 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX: Wow. Those were the first panels that featured Hope as an adult where I didn't want to kill her. I think she and Nate would be alright together. They both just have to survive AvX first. We'll see who ends up where when that's all over. As for Clarice (and your original question) it's either a Dust situation, or a brief AvX related cameo.

#11 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: Yes, it gives me so hope for Hope lol. I'm not so worried about Nate given I've yet to see a tie-in with New Mutants though DnA said there would be. Frankly, I'd rather have Nate and Hope be away from the X-Men deals and just be heroes. That was Nate's strong suit.

Back on topic, I hope it's a Dust situation. I really do. The New Mutants need some fresh blood and one to two more team members.

#12 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX: Yeah I really like the X-Man series (post AoA one, though the AoA one was rad too) where it was just Nate trucking around doing hero stuff.

Other than that I think I need to start picking up New Mutants on the regular. It looks like it's a little more fun than some of the main X-Books, and with Jubilee disappearing from Adjectiveless soon I don't have any reason to buy that anymore freeing up some comic money.

#13 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: Then I will warn you that the stories can be rather bland. Some chalk it up to DnA not yet getting a grasp on the team while others say it's just they are not trying hard enough considering their work on Cosmic titles. But it's little by little looking better and it still better than Gen Hope.

#14 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL. They didn't even go THIS far with Dust, if thats the case.

#15 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Yea, Dust has like a page of explanation....while if Blink does the same, would be getting an entire issue? But.....then again the New Mutants need something to keep things going. DnA isn't doing enough.

#16 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@AgeofHurricane: Yea, Dust has like a page of explanation....while if Blink does the same, would be getting an entire issue? But.....then again the New Mutants need something to keep things going. DnA isn't doing enough.

Completely ridic', tbh. You're right, they really DO need something to keep things going, and the funny thing is, Abnett and Lanning are actually GOOD writers but...something's just missing from this...maybe it's the fact that Magik, Cannonball and Karma are like NOT here anymore ? (Well, appaerently CB's just resting, as stated by DnA.) because thats one of the main reason's why I'm not reading it, it's just too bland and boring. I also suggested them bringing in some of Utopia's Recruits to spicen things up, preferrably Prodigy and Surge as they're literally just SITTING them doing nothing. -_-
#17 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane: Yea, they definitely need some more people on the team especially when it seems like DnA is trying to make them be like the X-Factor of Scott's side which is a very tall order. Hell maybe toss some other old New Mutants back in like Warpath (He's now not doing anything) and Boom Boom (not like the street team gets respect....or screen time.) But DnA seriously need to put their game.

#18 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Have the two sides established that the mutants have to be strictly loyal to the school or Utopia once they've chosen? Or can they alternate? I haven't been reading much up on that.

#19 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle: They established in ReGenesis that you either go to Westchester, stay on Utopia, or go your own way. Both sides don't want people who don't want to be there. Only Dust changed sides so far cause Marvel goofed on it then had to address it in Legacy 263.

#20 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (3893 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Nudeviking: Hope was supposed to help train Nate to survive without his powers. We saw some of this in issue 33 when he talks with her while training about wanting to get to know Scott, and they talk about how crazy their family is.

The word you are looking for Hope is "Uncle".

Side note: I would love for a Nate Grey/Hope Summers partnership like the one Dick and Damian had. I think it would work well for both of them. Cable had Rachel, I think the inverse would be interesting to see. But Nate needs his powers back.

interesting scans, what I find interesting is this crap about him wanting to get to know Scott. Do the people that work at Marvel read what was written before? There were several issues of X-Man dedicated to Nate, Jean and Scott spending a lot of time together in Alaska, they even joined a team and he was very upset about what happened when Scott took his place in the 12 story, because of their relationship. It was that time that made him think of Jean as his "mom" seems to me that he would have thought of Scott as "dad" due to the same interaction.

#21 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordOfAllHumans: I would argue that Scott and Nate were hardly ever close. Hell, this is the first issue Nate really ever even called Scott his father. Hell, Dark X-Men is the first time Nate called Jean Mom even though it was Mystique he was talking to. Even when Scott and Nate were forced to spend some alone time cause of Jean, they really didn't know how to interact with one another.

New Mutants #27 Father-Son Moment

Nate did feel guilty about Scott's apparent death, but at the same time, he didn't join Cable or Jean in the quest to find Scott and free him from Apocalypse either. Plus add on about nearly 8-9 years our time of non interaction and being very different people than you were when you last met, it's understandable that Nate wants to know Scott. I also want to point out that Marvel loves to show Cyclops as not the best father.

#22 Edited by LordOfAllHumans (3893 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

New Mutants #27 Father-Son Moment

@LordOfAllHumans: I would argue that Scott and Nate were hardly ever close. Hell, this is the first issue Nate really ever even called Scott his father. Hell, Dark X-Men is the first time Nate called Jean Mom even though it was Mystique he was talking to. Even when Scott and Nate were forced to spend some alone time cause of Jean, they really didn't know how to interact with one another.

Nate did feel guilty about Scott's apparent death, but at the same time, he didn't join Cable or Jean in the quest to find Scott and free him from Apocalypse either. Plus add on about nearly 8-9 years our time of non interaction and being very different people than you were when you last met, it's understandable that Nate wants to know Scott. I also want to point out that Marvel loves to show Cyclops as not the best father.

It made sense in the moments that they didn't know how to interact with each other, because they didn't know each other. I'm saying that those weird moments was them building a relationship, and Nate should know Scott more than the current stories suggest and vice versa, regardless of the separation. Maybe it's me but fighting cosmic beings, closing dimensional tears, going fishing and living together for at least weeks with a man you know is genetically your father (whether you call him that or not), tends to build closeness, especially if you have the power to travel to the other side of the world with a thought, yet you don't. Him not joining that quest is really on Jean and Cable. Ozymandias shows up and they take off, he wasn't asked and didn't know.

I'm not suggesting he would have the same relationship or emotional connections that he has with Cable or anybody else, but it seems as if nothing is there, and that is crap. I'm merely refer to him calling Jean (Mystique) mom, because him doing so is based of the time be spent with them in Alaska, granted he possessed some kind of connection to his Jean Grey, which led to the Maddie situation. His feelings after the 12 showed there was a bond, regardless of how profound it was, they found common ground. They still have a past together off the battle field. It just seems like it is being ignored to me.

In Scotts defense :), Marvel has a string of "not the best fathers" in the mutant community. Xavier, Magneto, Piotor, Wolverine, Sebastian Shaw, Sabertooth, Azazel, Banshee (kind of).

#23 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordOfAllHumans:

New Mutants #27 - Never close the book on family.

I wanted to add this pic to add some context to their current standing.

You make good points, but sometimes bonds on the battlefield don't always translate to a deep bond. I took their first meeting since the 12 as while they knew of one another, their bond wasn't nearly as strong as say Cable or Rachel which was done on a purpose some what to continue the trend of making Nate the outsider/outcast. But Nate now wants to be a son to Scott, he wants to try to reclaim some semblance of his old life as well as his family (and Nate seems to pick the worst time to do it given Second Coming just happened and Scott's losing a great deal of his humanity as a result which only adds to a rift between them now when you think losing Cable would make Scott want to connect with Nate more since he's the only child he had left on Earth at the time). If Jean was still alive, this probably wouldn't have been as big a thing as it seems as Nate would have just trying to do this with Jean instead of Scott.

After for their 90s/early 00s relationship, I saw it more as Scott had respect and some slight insight on Nate and vice-versa, but that was really it. The writers never tried to drive deeper than that. Why? I don't know. Possibly cause Scott was always shown connecting or interacting to Cable or that Nate had a indirect connection to 616 Jean which they wanted to play up more kinda why X-Man 25 was just Nate and Jean as opposed to Scott, Nate and Jean. Or maybe it's hard for them to look at one another and not see someone else like how Nate stared at Domino before he told her about the AoA Domino. You could argue that Scott looks at Nate and sees what Cable should have been. That Cable should have been a young man who was never meant to be a soldier and have wondrous powers, and that he couldn't save him as a child and inversely Nate could see some of AoA Cyke who tried to off him when he thought Nate was hurting Jean when they psi-linked to one another. Or perhaps Scott sees himself in Nate, and he doesn't know how to react or help him. Both were raised by father figures and made to walk a heroic path while never having relationship with their real fathers until way later. Then again Nate tried on some level fight the notice that they were family at all. Saying that they were just genetic donors. Their relationship was never really explored, just implied which makes me want them to have a deep bonding moment to explore it.

Also about Nate's feelings cause of the 12 arc, you also have to take this notion into consideration: Nate was made to kill Apocalypse. He was born and bred to destroy him, but he couldn't. He failed to be of any help. The nightmare of his life continued to haunt him and someone else had to sacrifice themselves to save him. This is a major factor that weighed on him too. Not saying Nate didn't have some sort of bond with Scott, but it wasn't a deep bond which I think Nate is referring to when he means he wants to know his father

#24 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

Have the two sides established that the mutants have to be strictly loyal to the school or Utopia once they've chosen? Or can they alternate? I haven't been reading much up on that.

Jubilee went to Westchester to hang out in an issue of X-23 and mention something like getting back to Utopia before Scott found out or something, so I don't think they're suppose to really be chilling out with each other.

#25 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

What was the explanation for Dust's move? Legacy's not a book that I read, but am kind of curious how they explained it away. A wizard did it? Clone? Xorn II: Islamic Boogaloo?

#26 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: Dust and Surge both say that staying at the same school where forty of the students were killed is not considered safe for kids and that basically going back to basics will only have history repeat itself.

#27 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Nudeviking: Dust and Surge both say that staying at the same school where forty of the students were killed is not considered safe for kids and that basically going back to basics will only have history repeat itself.

So she bailed on Wolverine and went back to Utopia?

#28 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: I think she was never meant to have left.

#29 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX:

Yeah that's what I meant. The Wolverine & X-Men/Legacy appearances were the goofs, not the Utopia ones.

#30 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: The Legacy appearance at least 262 and 263 , she is actually on the Utopia side and only there because she joined Surge in aiding Hope's Lights team to fight Exodus with the Legacy team. Rogue tried to convince the kids to stay at the school, but they made the comment about 40 kids died there and history will repeat.

#31 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX:

I guess that makes sense, but I also remember her being in the background in a classroom scene at one point just sitting at a desk, like she was supposed to be there.

#32 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: In one of the WatX issues, Iceman talked about in in the Mail/Question section in the back and he said he made a comment about not wearing her muslim clothing cause the school had a dress code and Dust was not happy with that.

#33 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX:

Dear Iceman,

So what about Glob Herman huh? That dude doesn't even wear clothes! Dress code indeed!

Your Pal,

Nudeviking

#34 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: LMAO.

#35 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

I also want to point out that Marvel loves to show Cyclops as not the best father.

He is also not the best looking father. What is wrong with Cyclops' head here?

#36 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: LOL It's a just badly drawn. He's got better pictures trust me. lol

#37 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7257 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking said:

@RogueOracle said:

Jubilee went to Westchester to hang out in an issue of X-23 and mention something like getting back to Utopia before Scott found out or something, so I don't think they're suppose to really be chilling out with each other.

It was more along the lines of "I'm not even supposed to be here-" she had a mission with her team, Marvel. The Security Recon team of which you decided to kick her off of for what ever reasons...-_-

This is what Sooraya really had to say
#38 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

So the preview for New Mutants 41 is out, and it sorta answers why Blink is at least hanging with the New Mutants. And....apparently word has gotten out about Nate and Dani (or at least it seems it has with how Blink talks about it). I don't know what to think about the preview. It's looking like a so-so issue.

#39 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

"Everyone look it's Blink!"

#40 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: She seemed way too happy. Like above Pixie happy which is not physically, mentally, or mutantly possible....but Blink may have just done it. Makes you wonder if the JGS staff added something to her coffee.

#41 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Nudeviking: She seemed way too happy. Like above Pixie happy which is not physically, mentally, or mutantly possible....but Blink may have just done it. Makes you wonder if the JGS staff added something to her coffee.

I don't remember Blink ever being that manic either. She was out of control in those five pages of previews.

#42 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking: It was like looking at Pixie on crack. She shouldn't have know all these things nor have gotten over the whole Necrosha crap this quick. Seems so out of character.

#43 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

So Issue 41 came out and the Blink issue wasn't resolved. She just likes to hang with the New Mutants.....which is disppointing. Overall the issue was better than I thought. It was like one of Wells's run issues. I'm glad they dealt with some of the character interactions.

Sypnosis of issue below.

Well I guess I'll say what happened:
-Blink appears and takes the team to Madripoor to have a good time.
-Blink gets Dani and Amara to let loose and have fun.
-Doug and Bobby have a moment where they talk about mojo and that Bobby sadly has no game.
-Doug offers to teach him to know the language of women so to speak and Bobby gives him a shot.
-Nate and Warlock were the odd ones out until Nate walked over to Blink, Amara, and Dani.
-Nate gets himself into an awkward moment that basically reveals to the girls that Dani likes Nate.

-Nate leaves then the focus shifts on Warlock who is hitting off with a tech savvy girl.
-Bobby has a bad time trying to pick up women and gets into a fight.
-Amara reveals she is still seeing Mephisto to Blink.
-Bobby then see a girl and when he learns this girl is with Warlock, this happens:

-While Doug and the ladies dance, Bobby goes off to sulk and Dani goes off to find Nate.
-Dani and Nate have a moment where she makes him dance which ultimately leads to this:

-The team regroups where Bobby hits on Blink to no avail and the team then takes a picture together.
#44 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I don't absolutely hate Dani and X-Man.

#45 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

But I get the feeling you don't care for it either. lol

#46 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@John Valentine said:

Just been reading about X-Man. I'm going to read more stuff with him in it. I get the feeling I'd like him quite a lot. I do like Moonstar.

I just can't stand the New Mutants series.

#47 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@John Valentine said:

Just been reading about X-Man. I'm going to read more stuff with him in it. I get the feeling I'd like him quite a lot. I do like Moonstar.

Nate was a decent character, but like most near omnipotent mutants, they had no idea what to do with him. I say that as Nate Fan myself, but even I know he suffered from poor writing and Marvel's lack of direction for him. Potential squandered.

I do though find it amusing she's making out with the boss's son. lol

It's been very lack luster. Kinda hoping Gillen's writing will help things with the Exiled Crossover that's coming next.

#48 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@John Valentine said:

Nate was a decent character, but like most near omnipotent mutants, they had no idea what to do with him. I say that as Nate Fan myself, but even I know he suffered from poor writing and Marvel's lack of direction for him. Potential squandered.

It's been very lack luster. Kinda hoping Gillen's writing will help things with the Exiled Crossover that's coming next.

There's an X-Man trade coming out in June/July that I'll buy.

Moonstar's just feisty. She'd definitely be one of my favourite X-Women if the MU were real.

I really don't care for the New Mutants/Asgard stories, in fact, I really, really can't stand them. To be fair, though, there's a lot of the original New Mutants stuff that I just don't like.

#49 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

Dudes in New Mutants all seem to really hate shirts...except Doug. Doug keeps it classy.

#50 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@John Valentine said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@John Valentine said:

There's an X-Man trade coming out in June/July that I'll buy.

Moonstar's just feisty. She'd definitely be one of my favourite X-Women if the MU were real.

I really don't care for the New Mutants/Asgard stories, in fact, I really, really can't stand them. To be fair, though, there's a lot of the original New Mutants stuff that I just don't like.

Yea, it's X-Man 5-14. Excalibur 95, and Cable 30 and 31 collected. Just before Onslaught happened. Though it doesn't included his AoA stuff.

Well I always looked at her as a HBiC. But I agree with the last part.

Fair enough, but people are raving how good Journey into Mystery is, and Gillen's co-writing so at least it's not gonna be as bad as DnA just alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.