Rise of the New Mutants

#1 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

Who else is excited to see what's going to happen? 
Do you think all the New Mutants are going to make it? Who do you thinks going to die, if anyone? 

New Mutants #20

NEW MUTANTS #20
Written by ZEB WELLS
Penciled by LEONARD KIRK
Cover by DAVE WILKINS
Rise of the New Mutants”
The New Mutants were defeated last issue and those that are left standing are licking their wounds. Can they possibly pick up the pieces and stop Project Purgatory from letting the Elder Gods loose? Certainly not alone. The New Mutants turn to the rest of the X-Men for help, but can even the mighty X-Men hope to stop the terrible future foretold in NEW MUTANTS #9? Zeb Wells (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN) and Leonard Kirk (DARK X-MEN) continue their landmark run!
Part 1 (of 2)
Fall of the New Mutants" concluded with issue #19 but #20 picks up right after that as the second part of the story titled "Rise of the New Mutants". The final conclusion will be in #21

New Mutants #21

NEW MUTANTS #21
Written by ZEB WELLS
Penciled by LEONARD KIRK
Cover by DAVE WILKINS
“The Rise of the New Mutants”
The stunning conclusion of Zeb Wells' run on New Mutants is here. Everything set in motion from #1 comes around here as the full force of the X-Men is brought down on Project Purgatory. But will it be in time? The full power of the Elder Gods is in the hands of General Ulysses. Will the power of Legion be enough to turn the tide? Part 2 (of 2).
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
    The "Fall of the New Mutants" concluded with issue #19 but #20 picks up right after that as the second part of the story titled "Rise of the New Mutants". The final conclusion will be in #21    
#2 Posted by Skaddix (3109 posts) - - Show Bio

Well solicits said someone would die last issue but no one did and with Magik's lack of honesty its hard to tell what is going to happen. Still if someone does die its Magma or Sunspot or a surprise death like Illyana or Karma. I am exicted though and hope some of the inferno babies stick around they make for compelling villains and the x-men need some villains.

#3 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1088 posts) - - Show Bio
@Skaddix:  
yeah, my guess is either Sunspot or Magma too... but I'm leaning towards Sunspot hopefully, he's just been so blah lately and there's not much you can do with his character, and it better not be Illyana she's gone way too many times she's gotta stay, and same with Shan, she already got her leg cut off geez :P

#4 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio
Sorry double post!! 

@IllyanaRasputin:
  I agree 

Moonstar- she cant die she's too important (or maybe it's a surprise death) 
Cannonball- he cant die he's the leader 
Karma- she just got her leg cut off so she'll probably wont die 
Cypher- just brought back from the dead 
Warlock- same story as Cypher 
Magik- she's the reason this whole thing is happening so she wont die 

So it's really a toss up between Magma or Sunspot! 

But I would personally love to see Sunspot go... he's really of no use!
#5 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1088 posts) - - Show Bio
@papad1992:
great reasonings! couldn't have said it better myself :P 
hate to say it but i'm REALLY hoping its sunspot :P
#6 Posted by Skaddix (3109 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope its Magma but mostly because i am tired of Marvel screwing every minority male character with death, face heel turns, depowerment, power nerfs, etc. Seriously, it is so annoying. Personally, I hope no one dies its annoying but I would choose Warlock is someone absolutely had to go, seriously his complaining is annoying. Although realistically I like to see him in space again. I feel Wells really has not used Sunspot or Magma at all so to me it would like they got killed just because Wells doesn't know how to use him. Which reminds me how good with Magic is Magik because Belasco had resurrection spells.

#7 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio
@IllyanaRasputin:  Yeah I mean what has happened to him recently??? 

Moonstar- Lost her powers, trying to show off that she could still defend herself.... Yada Yada!! 
Cypher- just brought back from the dead as an assassin to kill Magma 
Karma- .....lost her leg.... Nuff said
Cannonball- nothing ever is gonna happen to him because he's the link from the X-Men to the New Mutants 
Warlock- just been brought back... Plus I want to see some Warlock/ Danger action (ouch my hard-drive!) 
Magik- what hasn't happened to her in the past few years!!! 
Magma- was almost beaten to death by Cypher because her grandma (Selene) or something wanted her dead!!  
Sunspot-............??...............????............. I got nothing! 

I like making lists (dont judge me!)
#8 Posted by IllyanaRasputin (1088 posts) - - Show Bio
@papad1992 said:

" @IllyanaRasputin:  Yeah I mean what has happened to him recently???  Moonstar- Lost her powers, trying to show off that she could still defend herself.... Yada Yada!! Cypher- just brought back from the dead as an assassin to kill Magma Karma- .....lost her leg.... Nuff saidCannonball- nothing ever is gonna happen to him because he's the link from the X-Men to the New Mutants Warlock- just been brought back... Plus I want to see some Warlock/ Danger action (ouch my hard-drive!) Magik- what hasn't happened to her in the past few years!!! Magma- was almost beaten to death by Cypher because her grandma (Selene) or something wanted her dead!!  Sunspot-............??...............????............. I got nothing!  I like making lists (dont judge me!) "

haha don't worry i don't judge! i'm loving yoru lists!

@Skaddix
said:

"I hope its Magma but mostly because i am tired of Marvel screwing every minority male character with death, face heel turns, depowerment, power nerfs, etc. Seriously, it is so annoying. Personally, I hope no one dies its annoying but I would choose Warlock is someone absolutely had to go, seriously his complaining is annoying. Although realistically I like to see him in space again. I feel Wells really has not used Sunspot or Magma at all so to me it would like they got killed just because Wells doesn't know how to use him. Which reminds me how good with Magic is Magik because Belasco had resurrection spells. "

yeah, I see where you're coming from which bites because in the Original New Mutants they did a lot with Magma and Sunspot, but now it's just blah...      
#9 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio
@IllyanaRasputin said:
" @papad1992 said:

" @IllyanaRasputin:  Yeah I mean what has happened to him recently???  Moonstar- Lost her powers, trying to show off that she could still defend herself.... Yada Yada!! Cypher- just brought back from the dead as an assassin to kill Magma Karma- .....lost her leg.... Nuff saidCannonball- nothing ever is gonna happen to him because he's the link from the X-Men to the New Mutants Warlock- just been brought back... Plus I want to see some Warlock/ Danger action (ouch my hard-drive!) Magik- what hasn't happened to her in the past few years!!! Magma- was almost beaten to death by Cypher because her grandma (Selene) or something wanted her dead!!  Sunspot-............??...............????............. I got nothing!  I like making lists (dont judge me!) "

haha don't worry i don't judge! i'm loving yoru lists!   
Thankx! :)
#10 Posted by oldgum (325 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder will Legion join them in the future, there has been too much spotlights. probably he will replace some one.

#11 Edited by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

The "Rise" had better be a whole lot better than the "Fall".  It's been a bloody atrocious story.  

@IllyanaRasputin
said:

"Who do you thinks going to die, if anyone? "

So.... who dies?  

@IllyanaRasputin said: 

" I'm guessing it's going to be Sunspot, Magik has told Sunspot it's supposed to be Amara who dies, but I'm guessing he's going to do something to intervene, obviously something romantic and cute because he's always had the hots for Amara.... So I'm guessing he'll do something to save Amara but will lead to his death... thats my two cents! "

#12 Edited by Chesapeake (2210 posts) - - Show Bio
@IllyanaRasputin: 

I did not want anyone to die except the guy who actually did. I liked the whole fall and rise story arc. I was impressed by Magik. Cannonball did his usual stuff. I liked the job that the writer did. Not a big fan of his work. If you go back and check the previous issue, New Mutants #9. You can see some of images of the last battle. Some of the answers were in front of you the whole time. Magik was awesome. Great stuff when you can go back that far and discover that the writer knew exactly what was he doing.   (Last Issue New Mutants#21)

#13 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

The ending was a big, "what just happend?"
#14 Posted by NOT_hydrabob (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather them bring back Wallflower then kill somebody else off

#15 Posted by golvellius (207 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chesapeake:
I totally agree with you ,  I really liked the story, Zeb Well definitelly crafted this one from the very begining.  Its kind of a big wrap up of everything that had been going on with Magik's return.  Magik deception blew me away, I mean I'm used to see her treacherous and conniving but  she really rised the bar on this one.  Loved it from beggining to end.  Something I liked is that Zeb really knew how to put the New Mutants in a very dangerous and beliavable situation.  I seldomly find writters who actually make you believe that the characters are in real Danger.  Untill the very last page we were doubtfull of what was the outcome of the whole story.  Beautifully crafted.  We have seen Zeb bring them toguether, throw them into hell and pull them out.  Now I beg of him to take 'em into Space and bring Gosamyr back for the next story arc.  something I really liked about New Mutants is how they were this kind of Globethrothers going all around the world, wierd dimensions and outer space.  For this next season I'd love to see Boom Boom, Feral, Gosamyr....among other great characters from the old series.
#16 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio
@golvellius: isnt feral dead?   I personally would LOVE to see boom boom come over to the new mutants.
#17 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep.  Feral's dead, she was one of the resurrected mutants who attacked Utopia during Necrosha.  

#18 Posted by golvellius (207 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:
Oh well...scratch Feral of my list then hehehe...Gosamyr?  Boom boom totally has to come back.  Is Feral's sister still alive? and what about Risque??
#19 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not 100% sure about Thornn, but Risque is still pushing up daisies.

It would be interesting to see Gosamyr's return. 

#20 Edited by bleedingheart (427 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that this is over I'd like a focus on the characters a bit. For instance, have Rahne and Dani resolved their issues, do the NM even realize Wolfsbane is about to pop? It would be so easy for Julio to call them up and fill them all in. Dani is supposed to be Josh's guardian, and he's been going through some stuff. I just want established relationship recognized.

@golvellius said:

" @xerox-kitty: Oh well...scratch Feral of my list then hehehe...Gosamyr?  Boom boom totally has to come back.  Is Feral's sister still alive? and what about Risque?? "

I'd like to see Tabitha return as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.