Possible Movie....

#1 Edited by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/04/27/is-fox-expanding-x-franchise-with-a-new-mutants-movie/

Even as Fox inches closer to the start dates for The Wolverine (August) and the sequel to X-Men: First Class (January), the studio may have an eye on expanding its lucrative franchise with, of all things … aNew Mutants movie.

Speaking with Fox CEO Tom Rothman at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, Collider tossed out the possibility of spinning off the New Mutants, or some of Marvel’s other X-characters, into their own features. The studio chief simply smiled and answered “Yes,” before saying fans could expect an announcement in the summer.

Pressed by the website as to whether Fox is speaking to any filmmakers about the project (or projects), Rothman said, “All I have to say is, I agree with you in your assessment of the potential in a lot of these characters.”

Created by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod, the New Mutants debuted in 1982 as young superheroes-in-training at Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters. Essentially, they were junior X-Men, a concept that’s been resurrected a couple of times over the decades, both under the title New Mutants and New X-Men: Academy X.

How, beyond time period, Fox might differentiate a New Mutants movie from X-Men: First Class, with its young, inexperienced heroes, may prove an interesting exercise. But we’ll likely have to wait until Comic-Con International in July to hear the pitch.

So it looks like Fox might give New Mutants a film, rather than following the "traditional" and more well-known X-Men characters. I really hope to see New Mutants come to the big screen. I love the X-Men films, I do, but I would like to see an X-Men film with a smaller team and get to know certain characters better.

I love New Mutants, so I hope it will get the greenlight by Comic Con.

So what does everyone think? What characters would you like to see especially? Casting?

#2 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm good with this.....so long as Hugh Jackman does not and I mean DOES NOT make a cameo appearance.

#3 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX: I know, right?:) It will (hopefully) be nice to see a movie focusing on Mutants other than Wolverine. Poor Scott was just there in the background in the movies.

#4 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

@TheGreyOutcastX: I know, right?:) It will (hopefully) be nice to see a movie focusing on Mutants other than Wolverine. Poor Scott was just there in the background in the movies.

Yes, hence why they should just reboot the X-Men and make it like Astonishing. If only Whedon didn't have a beef with Fox, it would be happening. Scott would have so much more focus if that happened.

Or expand into other characters, other Mutant teams, major storylines outside Phoenix (Seriously we need Sinister and Apoccy on film). Maybe do something with DoFP? They hinted at that possibility in the Origins: Wolverine game.

#5 Edited by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@RogueOracle said:

Yes, hence why they should just reboot the X-Men and make it like Astonishing. If only Whedon didn't have a beef with Fox, it would be happening. Scott would have so much more focus if that happened.

Or expand into other characters, other Mutant teams, major storylines outside Phoenix (Seriously we need Sinister and Apoccy on film). Maybe do something with DoFP? They hinted at that possibility in the Origins: Wolverine game.

Definitely:) A reboot would be awesome. I like Bryan Singer, but the problem is he doesn't have enough grasp on the characters and he likes to throw as many mutants as he can into one movie, while focusing on mainly one:\. He can tell a good story but can't convey the characters very well. Joss would have done a great job. If you've seen the Avengers, you can tell he can make a great team movie.

Sinister and Apocalypse would be freakin' awesome!! If they do that I would be the happiest fan girl ever. And seeing Days of Future Past would be awesome, but I read in an interview a while back with Bryan Singer or Zak Penn (can't remember which) it wouldn't be possible because it would seem like a Terminator rip-off or something. Sure they share some similarities, but I wouldn't actually compare the two because both story lines are just so different.

#6 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

Definitely:) A reboot would be awesome. I like Bryan Singer, but the problem is he doesn't have enough grasp on the characters and he likes to throw as many mutants as he can into one movie, while focusing on mainly one:\. He can tell a good story but can't convey the characters very well. Joss would have done a great job. If you've seen the Avengers, you can tell he can make a great team movie.

Plus that Astonishing is his story so it would be more of a true adaptation than a just tossing ideas around and throwing a ton of mutant cameos. Sadly the best that could happen is FOX sees the Avengers and thinks that the X-Men need to be rebooted and try to get Whedon to do. If that happens, FOX! You give the control that man demands and deserves! Astonishing X-Men could easily restore the X-Movies.

Sinister and Apocalypse would be freakin' awesome!! If they do that I would be the happiest fan girl ever. And seeing Days of Future Past would be awesome, but I read in an interview a while back with Bryan Singer or Zak Penn (can't remember which) it wouldn't be possible because it would seem like a Terminator rip-off or something. Sure they share some similarities, but I wouldn't actually compare the two because both story lines are just so different.

Sinister is a must. Apocalypse should only happen after Sinister is established. Then you could do something about Apocalypse with Cable's future and coming back in time to stop Apocalypse etc. There is a ton of ideas for those too.

I don't get how it's a terminator rip off when it was made back in the mid to early 80s. If anything Terminator is a rip off of DoFP. Besides, there is no John Conner. If anything you could combine DoFP with Bishop's future (like the 90s X-Men cartoon), and it would work. Hell look how Wolverine and the X-Men did it.

#7 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@RogueOracle said:

Plus that Astonishing is his story so it would be more of a true adaptation than a just tossing ideas around and throwing a ton of mutant cameos. Sadly the best that could happen is FOX sees the Avengers and thinks that the X-Men need to be rebooted and try to get Whedon to do. If that happens, FOX! You give the control that man demands and deserves! Astonishing X-Men could easily restore the X-Movies.

Sinister is a must. Apocalypse should only happen after Sinister is established. Then you could do something about Apocalypse with Cable's future and coming back in time to stop Apocalypse etc. There is a ton of ideas for those too.

I don't get how it's a terminator rip off when it was made back in the mid to early 80s. If anything Terminator is a rip off of DoFP. Besides, there is no John Conner. If anything you could combine DoFP with Bishop's future (like the 90s X-Men cartoon), and it would work. Hell look how Wolverine and the X-Men did it.

Astonishing would be amazing. I would love to see the Gifted arc done justice, and not done by Brett Ratner. They could literally do it scene by scene, word for word, and it would make a great movie. You can tell Joss is invested in these characters, and I read his version of the X-Men script and it was really good.

Sinister would be epic. I like Magneto, but Sinister trumps him IMO.

#8 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@RogueOracle said:

Astonishing would be amazing. I would love to see the Gifted arc done justice, and not done by Brett Ratner. They could literally do it scene by scene, word for word, and it would make a great movie. You can tell Joss is invested in these characters, and I read his version of the X-Men script and it was really good.

Sinister would be epic. I like Magneto, but Sinister trumps him IMO.

Gifted would be a perfect starting point for a reboot/revamp. They need a Director that gets it like Whedon. Or at least need Whedon producing it if it were to happen.

That's cause Mags has been done for 4 films now. Sinister is unique, twisted, and just an amazing villain. That's why the X-Movies also have issues, they always rely on Mags. The X-Men have more than him and the Brotherhood as villains.

#9 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

Gifted would be a perfect starting point for a reboot/revamp. They need a Director that gets it like Whedon. Or at least need Whedon producing it if it were to happen.

That's cause Mags has been done for 4 films now. Sinister is unique, twisted, and just an amazing villain. That's why the X-Movies also have issues, they always rely on Mags. The X-Men have more than him and the Brotherhood as villains.

Exactly! Magneto isn't the X-Men's only villain.

#10 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

Exactly! Magneto isn't the X-Men's only villain.

Hell, even the Hellfire Club kinda needs to get redone. First Class annoys the fanboy in me.

#11 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm afarid hollywood might screw the new mutants up, i don't have much faith in for hollywood

#12 Edited by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX: Agreed. The Hellfire Club was just odd. They turned it into a men's club of sorts:\ I've always thought of it to be sort of a classy malevolent secret society filled with intrigue. By classy, I mean sort of like twisted Victorian. And they gave Emma a bra! A corset is way more classier than that bra. (That was weird to write).

#13 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

i'm afarid hollywood might screw the new mutants up, i don't have much faith in for hollywood

Neither do I. But I hope this is one thing they don't screw up.

#14 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

@TheGreyOutcastX: Agreed. The Hellfire Club was just odd. They turned it into a men's club of sorts:\ I've always thought of it to be sort of a classy malevolent secret society filled with intrigue. By classy, I mean sort of like twisted Victorian. And they gave Emma a bra! A corset is way more classier than that bra. (That was weird to write).

That gave me a chuckle. But I get what you mean by it.

Yes, besides where was Selene?! Harry Leland? Donald Pierce? Only having Shaw and Emma is not the Hellfire club.

#15 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@RogueOracle said:

Yes, besides where was Selene?! Harry Leland? Donald Pierce? Only having Shaw and Emma is not the Hellfire club.

I know, right? It didn't feel sinister or threatening at all. It was just like a hang out for bad folks.

#16 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@RogueOracle said:

I know, right? It didn't feel sinister or threatening at all. It was just like a hang out for bad folks.

All reasons to reboot the series and expand into other teams. New Mutants is a fine choice that regard. FOX just needs to not do what it did with X-Men movies cause Singer's work is outdated...and lead to bad endings (Brett Ratner and X3)

#17 Posted by cattlebattle (13353 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@RogueOracle said:

1. Whedons Astonishing run is a bit over rated...and Whedon had it easy making Avengers...the character were already established and molded by other directors in their respective films...all he had to do was write a movie to please the fans

2. The X-Men films should never be anything like the Avengers film, the X-Men are more character driven and more soap operatic than anything.

3.Many popular X-Men stories are rip offs of pop culture at its time...the Phoenix Saga as a space adventure emerged when Star Wars was popular and Days of the Future Past emerged after Terminators success...Cable himself would show up as big, gun toting time traveler in the wake of success of Terminator 2....Days of the Future Past is a bit confusing and might not play out well for audiences unfamiliar with the X-Men lore

4.Magneto....as the X-Mens villains in ALL the movies is justified...not only is he interesting, more so than other villains...but people need to understand that film industries contract actors to star in a certain amount of films, due to Mckellans success in the first film they contracted him for two more films. Similarly, Jackmans fame blew up after the first film, Marsdens did not, hence, once again he was contracted to star in the further X-Men films, They are not just going to tell Jackman "yeah..your famous worldwide and everything now...but, your going to be second to these other actors". Hollywood is a business first, they aren't there to just please fans......stop complaining please

5. Shaws Hellfire club was altered probably due to cyborg being a little to advanced for the time when the movie took place and Leland isn't very interesting, not to mention Shaw had more in common with Mr. Sinister then he actually did Sebastian Shaw
#18 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@RogueOracle said:

1. Whedons Astonishing run is a bit over rated...and Whedon had it easy making Avengers...the character were already established and molded by other directors in their respective films...all he had to do was write a movie to please the fans 2. The X-Men films should never be anything like the Avengers film, the X-Men are more character driven and more soap operatic than anything. 3.Many popular X-Men stories are rip offs of pop culture at its time...the Phoenix Saga as a space adventure emerged when Star Wars was popular and Days of the Future Past emerged after Terminators success...Cable himself would show up as big, gun toting time traveler in the wake of success of Terminator 2....Days of the Future Past is a bit confusing and might not play out well for audiences unfamiliar with the X-Men lore 4.Magneto....as the X-Mens villains in ALL the movies is justified...not only is he interesting, more so than other villains...but people need to understand that film industries contract actors to star in a certain amount of films, due to Mckellans success in the first film they contracted him for two more films. Similarly, Jackmans fame blew up after the first film, Marsdens did not, hence, once again he was contracted to star in the further X-Men films, They are not just going to tell Jackman "yeah..your famous worldwide and everything now...but, your going to be second to these other actors". Hollywood is a business first, they aren't there to just please fans......stop complaining please 5. Shaws Hellfire club was altered probably due to cyborg being a little to advanced for the time when the movie took place and Leland isn't very interesting, not to mention Shaw had more in common with Mr. Sinister then he actually did Sebastian Shaw

1. Your opinion on Whedon's run. Though I agree on the rest.

2. Agreed.

3. Maybe, but it can be altered to be shown. But I was merely giving ideas since it seems like they only want to do prequels now instead of advance or reboot the original X-Movies.

4. Never said he isn't justified or didn't work for the movies that they used him in, and I understand about the contracts. But now they don't have that issue, instead of making prequels or Movies that don't fit into the established X-Movie verse, try and make another X-Movie that now sports a new threat. I get the whole Wolverine/Jackman got big, but honestly they didn't just make Cyclops a background character, they made him into a drug manipulated threat in X2, and X3 basically killed him off. That's why fans are pissed. They didn't know what to do with or how to properly handle Cyclops. And no one is honestly gonna stop complaining. This is the internet: It was made for porn and complaining. You're wasting your time with that.

5. Kinda why I feel in needs to be redone. Shaw didn't act like Shaw, Emma was more or less ok, Riptide was pointless, Azazel wasn't necessary.

#19 Posted by cattlebattle (13353 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGreyOutcastX said:

4. Never said he isn't justified or didn't work for the movies that they used him in, and I understand about the contracts. But now they don't have that issue, instead of making prequels or Movies that don't fit into the established X-Movie verse, try and make another X-Movie that now sports a new threat. I get the whole Wolverine/Jackman got big, but honestly they didn't just make Cyclops a background character, they made him into a drug manipulated threat in X2, and X3 basically killed him off. That's why fans are pissed. They didn't know what to do with or how to properly handle Cyclops. And no one is honestly gonna stop complaining. This is the internet: It was made for porn and complaining. You're wasting your time with that.

I didn't mean to sound smug when saying that, If people don't like the X-Men films thats fine, I just hate when fans complain about asinine facts....I am not saying you did, I am just saying the fact why Magneto appears in every movie is contractual, not because they thought he would make a great villain for 3 straight movies. He wasn't the main threat in X2 but he was in it. The writers for the 3rd X-Men film were just constrained by time and needed to finish the script, the. In Singers original X-Men 3 script, it was supposed to be the Hellfire Club attempting to control the Phoenix....but the Brothehood was still supposed to be in it

Similarly, Jackmans success exploded after the first film, it would be highly unlikely that he would take a backseat to Marsdens Cyclops, and Singer has often admitted he wish he had more for Cyclops but with such huge movies with a lot of characters it was difficult...the reason he was killed in X3 probably had more to do with him leaving with Singer to do the Superman film than anything else
#20 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

I didn't mean to sound smug when saying that, If people don't like the X-Men films thats fine, I just hate when fans complain about asinine facts....I am not saying you did, I am just saying the fact why Magneto appears in every movie is contractual, not because they thought he would make a great villain for 3 straight movies. He wasn't the main threat in X2 but he was in it. The writers for the 3rd X-Men film were just constrained by time and needed to finish the script, the. In Singers original X-Men 3 script, it was supposed to be the Hellfire Club attempting to control the Phoenix....but the Brothehood was still supposed to be in it Similarly, Jackmans success exploded after the first film, it would be highly unlikely that he would take a backseat to Marsdens Cyclops, and Singer has often admitted he wish he had more for Cyclops but with such huge movies with a lot of characters it was difficult...the reason he was killed in X3 probably had more to do with him leaving with Singer to do the Superman film than anything else

It's all good friend. But all in all, it still stands that the X-Men need a good reboot and move away from Singer's/Ratner's movies.

#21 Posted by cattlebattle (13353 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheGreyOutcastX said:

It's all good friend. But all in all, it still stands that the X-Men need a good reboot and move away from Singer's/Ratner's movies.

I disagree, btw...Ratner made one movie an he was a last minute replacement that tried to mimic the world Singer had established

Singer made a plausible, realistic environment that was amazing, a lot of the things he did story wise were incorporated into the books, cartoons, etc. The X-Men adapt to it like a glove and I would love to see more movies in his "world"
#22 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

I disagree, btw...Ratner made one movie an he was a last minute replacement that tried to mimic the world Singer had established Singer made a plausible, realistic environment that was amazing, a lot of the things he did story wise were incorporated into the books, cartoons, etc. The X-Men adapt to it like a glove and I would love to see more movies in his "world"

Agree to disagree then.

#23 Posted by madmartin760 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree with the reboot. The X-films r one of the few super-hero movies who hasn't had a reboot, which I'm grateful 4. I mean the Marvel Universe never started over, y should the movies? I think doing prequels and sequels with good story arcs is the way 2 go. All the X-films, except x3, have been great and any changes from the comics was needed 2 convert into film. Remember, all medias tell stories differently.

#24 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

If this were to happen I would be very excited:D

#25 Posted by darkmagik (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I too, would like to see adapted on big screen Sam, Dani, Bobby, Rahne, Shan, Doug, Amara and Illyana... Could be difficult for Warlock. But I am sure that that is going to end with in the casting X-23, Jubilee, Maggot, Pixie and Mondo, of whom I really don't care enough

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.