Follow

New Mutants

Team » New Mutants appears in 1671 issues.

The New Mutants are a team of young mutants in training at Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters.

NEW MUTANTS FOREVER by Chris Claremont

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

No Caption Provided

Adding to the bevy of new Chris Claremont X-projects (a bevy that already includes X-WOMEN) is the newly-announced NEW MUTANTS FOREVER with Al Rio. The same as X-MEN FOREVER and X-FACTOR FOREVER were continuations of aborted runs from the Marvel’s past, this series will finally realize what Claremont envisioned for NEW MUTANTS after issue #54. Considering that this series picks up plots from an interim period of around 23 years (about as old as I am), you shouldn’t be surprised that the original outlines have evolved.  Fittingly, much of the evolution has been informed by Claremont’s own children.

So intones Mr. Claremont…

"The difference in one sense is that when I was writing back in the day, I was writing totally from my imagination. Today I'm dealing with my own kids and their friends who are the exact age I need to deal with. Much like when Louise Simonson and I were evolving the character of Kitty [Pryde originally], it was a great advantage that her own daughter and her friends were exactly the right age. I ended up stealing as much as I could from life to make the presentation of the character work. The advantage in terms of writing the New Mutants again is exactly the same. I watch how my own kids relate to the world, how their friends relate to the world, how they relate to each other and hopefully, like any good writer, pluck the critically useful aspects and sprinkle them through the story so the characters themselves come across as more real, more relevant, more interesting and therefore, more accessible to the readers.”

Flashing back to 1987, this storyline takes place well before PLANET X, well before the launch of X-FORCE. The New Mutants are led by a reformed Magneto and their line-up consists of Cypher, Cannonball, Wolfsbane, Warlock, Moonstar, Magik, Magma and Sunspot. The unfinished storyline that Claremont aims to continue here has Magneto joining the Hellfire Club on a mission of peace.

I think this whole Forever imprint (if we can call it that?) is a fun conceit to finally see writers' original plans free of any continuity-based restrictions and editorial constraints. I, for one, would love to see Joe Kelly’s DEADPOOL run and the Seagle/ Rouleau ALPHA FLIGHT run get similar treatments.  Both of those series left a lot of dangling plot threads because they were canceled ahead of when they should’ve been.  I can’t help but think of Stephen King’s whole process of writing the DARK TOWER novels when I hear of these, as he’d pick that series up and revise details after numerous years-long breaks.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter what I think here, oh continuity-free Comic Vine community, but what you think. Do you like the looks of NEW MUTANTS FOREVER? What titles would you like to see get this Forever treatment?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this April - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@Tom Pinchuk: totally agree on those runs of Alpha flight(which ended at 12 issues) and Deadpool to get a "forever" treatment , as for this I wonder why they decided to do this now, I liked the New Mutants as much as the next guy but really why now?
    uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By uncanny89

is this going to be a limited series or and ongoing one? if its a limited one then im buying it, im getting too many titles as it is lol

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jordanstine

I can only die so many times... unless of course I'm Jean Grey.
    I can only die so many times... unless of course I'm Jean Grey.
    This is silly but hopefully... NO ONE DIES

I know these Forever storylines aren't part of the original continuity, and creators can do whatever they want (like kill everyone off) but still... I'm just sick of Marvel trying to tell a good story by having to kill off so many characters within this past year; they're slowly turning into the 80's DC comics!

I'd like to read a book where the story doesn't have to revolve around someone's death for it to be a really good story.  And with Marvel's regular continuity not giving that to me, I hope new books like this will.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

I heard they were going to do this.  I thought that Claremont left the New Mutants, not that he was pushed off the title.  But either way... despite how much I love (love love love) the New Mutants, I don't want this.  I'm tired of these Claremont vanity living-in-the-past titles.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By pixelized

Psychic arrow  Moonstar, I've missed you so much.

I'll get it on that alone.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @pixelized said:
    " Psychic arrow  Moonstar, I've missed you so much.  I'll get it on that alone. "
    I hadn't even noticed that... Well, that just proves that Claremont' talking out of his bum-hole.  She didn't develop the psychic arrow till about a decade later during X-Force!  As if Claremont was originally going to use that.  Ha! ;p
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Green ankh

I was big fan of the New Mutants back then. And i dislike the new book.  So i am looking forward to it.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pixelized
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @pixelized said:
    " Psychic arrow  Moonstar, I've missed you so much.  I'll get it on that alone. "
    I hadn't even noticed that... Well, that just proves that Claremont' talking out of his bum-hole.  She didn't develop the psychic arrow till about a decade later during X-Force!  As if Claremont was originally going to use that.  Ha! ;p "
    OH YEAAAAAAHHHH. She was still pulling out images back then, good catch
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By jordama

I so saw this coming. But I think the "unfinished storyline" angle is a complete lie. I have been reading X-Men Forever, there is no way that is what was originally planned. I like alternate and divergent realities but don't call them what they aren't.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Thunderscream

blech. it makes me mad that he won't just let it be. his version of the x-men sucks and so will this.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By danhimself

I really hate how Wolfsbane's powers are depicted with the wolf head and semi human body....there has got to be a way to make her look better when using her powers

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jordama

Dang, I just checked, Larry Bodine is still dead if they take off at this point.  

saddness
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By goldenkey

hard to believe Claremont sucking so bad knowing just what he has done.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Korg

CHRIS CLAREMONT FOREVER by Joe Quesada

eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By eldestrisk

Is this going to be the same universe as X-Men Forever?

mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mattydeNero

X-Men Forever has been awesome.  I'm missing a few issues in the 40's of New Mutants Vol. 1.  It should be fun to pick those up and go back and read 1-54.  A bit more than X-Men Vol. 2 #1-3.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @eldestrisk said:
    " Is this going to be the same universe as X-Men Forever? "
    No, it's definitely a different universe to X-Men: Forever.  The first time I heard about New Mutants: Forever was in an interview with Claremont & someone asked if it was the same universe.   

So, essentially each 'Forever' title is a completely new & different universe.  They each branch off from main Earth-616 continuity at different points.  But all seem as pointless as elongated What If...? stories ;)
    eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By eldestrisk
    @xerox-kitty: So this titles are kinda pointless... It makes sense for them to be different, since the whole Magneto the teacher of the new mutants, and all that stuff... The thing is I know i'm going to buy them all... I hate you Chris Claremont... xD
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @eldestrisk: LOL!  Well, I'm not gonna force you to buy it... buy let us know what you think (I'm going to avoid it, since I don't like alternate reality stories or Chris Claremont's refusal to retire).
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@xerox-kitty: that's just what they need, more what ifs :P
    chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By chalkshark

I hadn't realized that Claremont was still working in the comics industry.... until the last few days. I haven't read anything by him since his final issues of Uncanny X-Men & X-Men. I always thought the New Mutants as a concept was logical, since Xavier was, supposedly, running a school. It was a return to what the original mission statement of the X-Men was supposed to be.... finding & training young mutants.  Unfortunately, I never liked any of the characters that populated the team, so it was never a book I ever felt invested in. I think it's cool that Marvel is allowing the original creator to continue telling the stories he originally envisioned for his characters. That's probably the closest he'll ever get to having a kind of creator's rights to characters he conceived but are, nonetheless, owned by the corporation. Puzzled by all the hatred spewing out over Claremont. You'd think some small degree of respect would be offered to the man for actually creating the characters in the first place. Instead, though, I'm reading comments from people calling for his job. I don't understand why people take these things so personally, as if Claremont continuing to support his livelihood is some kind of attack on the fan base. No one is forced to buy anything they don't want. This series doesn't impact normal continuity, so where's the harm in letting the guy finish writing the stories he wanted to tell? The man's a writer, let him write. I'm not going to buy the series because, as I said, I don't much care for any of the characters, but I certainly don't begrudge Claremont for wanting to make a living in his chosen field.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By charlieboy

x-men forever has been a great read. i am very much enjoying it. i will check out this new mutants book.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jordama

These are about as useful as the Ultimate universe.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By bingbangboom

I honestly just think it is way too many books. You have how many different versions of these books, some that are in the current continuty and others out of place. As a reader and say if someone is interested in reading it, it can all get confusing. In addition, were people really demanding these stories? 23 year old dangling plot lines from New Mutants? If anything it will hurt the ongoing New Mutants book because people might be confused.

devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By devilmanex

X FORCE FOREVER!!! w/ Liefeld drawing people with no feet! I'm def down for that! 

No Caption Provided

5 people........should be 10 feet present.........7 feet?............3 FEET?!............ no feet =(    

HAHAHA YESS Bring me an X-Force Forever!!!! btw this Shatterstar is soo much more bad ass than the new one
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jordama

Is this really even necessary considering the New mutants, basically the exact same team, is already back together, with years more character development. X-Men Forever and even X-Factor Forever brings back teams that no longer exist the same way.
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PYH000

Oh my goodness, no! Claremont has done some inconsistent characterization with Magik I don't want it to get worst!

nicknicholby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nicknicholby
    @jordama: why do these stories have to be useful?  i am imagining that you are thinking that they carry no importance because they have no relevance on the normal marvel universe.  does any of that actually matter since all of the marvel universe is imagination?  if it's a good story and interesting to read, what does it matter?
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PYH000
    @chalkshark: I don't hate Claremont either and I think he's a cool guy to hang out with but my gripe about his writing style is sometimes when he's writing details in comics, the future ones contradicts with the other in other words it's sometimes inconsistent writing and for characterizations and personalities for the characters, it changes with no logic at all and it can be rather irksome (although Storm can be an exception when she went punk during the 80's). This is my opinion but if Claremont wants to live  up to his game again, he should evolve his writing style as in go back to some of his works and note the things that went well and didn't went well.

This is the most humble thing I can say about him.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jordama
    @nicknicholby:
    Are you refering to my comaparision to the Ultimate universe or my comment about this really being necessary? 

The former was in reference to someone else complaining about this not being useful. The second is just because this is a team that is currently together, the other forevers are teams that don't exist in the same way.  

I love alternate realities, even if they have no affect on the canon
    Avatar image for bloodstonefreak
    Bloodstonefreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Bloodstonefreak

This should definitely be done to other Marvel characters to...

BLOODSTONE FOREVER!!!!!

*cheers*  :-D

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so most of you despise this book, even though it has not been released and there is no way in 
    any way shape or form any of you could have read it, nor a single opinion about it possibly be correct?
    and not just despise to the point to where none of you will read it when it does, but you need for it to not be 
    released and are offended by the fact that it is? and the reasoning is it is not lined up with the current issues
    (not something that matters since it isnt supposed to be

and your all big fans of X-Men, at least the "classic " stuff...and hate Claremount.
    you do know the writer of that same stuff was Claremount, right? the same guy all
    the X-fans complained that they wanted back, and the same stories they claimed they wanted
    back in spite of whats being written now? the demand that the X-books could have just continued
    as they were and not change? the same Claremount that if he hadnt written the X-men,
    you wouldn't have the X-men you love, nor New Mutants, nor even the animated series based directly off
    of his body of work, nor video games based off that, and so on and so forth?

so to sum it up, there are two versions of the X-books. one line is new stuff that changed.
    the fans demanded this.
    the second line is a continuation of the classic lines.
    the fans demanded this as well.
    which in a sane world would be cool because that means the company is being kind enough to provide
    a choice. it also means both are selling to enough people for both to continue, meaning the appeal is their.

the saying some people can never be pleased, and that they hate just to hate absolutely applies here.

the simple solution is dont buy it.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xerox_kitty

I don't hate Claremont.  I hate the fact that he has no place in modern comic book story-telling... yet refuses to retire.   

X-Treme X-Men - instantly forgettable.   
    X-Men: Forever - the stories he wanted to tell 20 years ago... except that's been proven wrong since he's used characters that weren't around at the time.   As pointless as an on-going What If...? story.
    X-Women - a cheap excuse for soft porn with his favourite characters.   Has no relevance or place in continuity.
    New Mutants: Forever - just give it a rest... the team isn't that popular,  and as Jordama said... it's using the same formation of the current team... so what's the point?  To tell the stories he didn't get to tell back then?  Sorry, but where have I heard that before???  Oh yeah, with X-Men: Forever... and it was a load of bull then.  These aren't the stories he'd have told in the late 80's/early 90's.  Don't insult our intelligence by pretending that he was going to give Dani Moonstar psychic arrows when that was someone else's idea entirely. 

Everything that Claremont has written in the last decade has been either in-continuity & forgettable/retconned, or out-of-continuity & pointless.  He may be a very nice man, but his stories haven't had any impact on modern era comic books for over a decade.

defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox-kitty: 
    the problem with that is its not true. why do think they've allotted a third Forever installment?
    they did because they are selling that well because people are reading them, enjoying them, 
    enjoying his writing and want more of it. this book exists because this book was demanded by the fans.
    the people who are buying and reading the Forever series dont share your opinion. same went for Xtreme.
    alot of people really liked that series. the fact remains that this book is a secondary option. it does not replace
    the canon books, and it is not a required read nor purchase. so nothing is actually forced on any reader with this 
    in any shape or form. this is only for those that want it, and as i said, theyre buying the series. and he didnt call himself
    out of retirement on the x-books. he was in such high demand that he finally caved in and gave it a go. so its not pointless
    at all just because you dont like it, which again, you have the opportunity not to read it. CC does NOT effect the canon books 
    you are reading, even by your admission, so you have no warrant to be bothered by his writing, and definatly not to want his 
    books to go just so those who are will be deprived of them. much less to not allow them to have the opinion of enjoying them,
    and of his work.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @CATMANEXE:  Yes, I know some people do enjoy it.  That's because I read what other Viners write.   People enjoyed SWORD, and it was a better title... but that was cancelled after too few months.

However, New Mutants: Forever really is pointless because it's just another alternate universe story that will go nowhere.  The X-Men: Forever doesn't need a sequel, they should just have continued the main title.  Or they could at least have named it something a little more imaginative than X-Men: Forever 2.  Instead it's a sales plot to drum up more interest, to fool people that it's a 'jumping on point', and trick collectors into buying yet another #1 issue.  Interest has slumped that they had to resort to tactics to help sell the book.  Even the Ultimate Universe needed a major slaughter & reboot to pick up interest in those titles.  It's a flash-in-the-pan moment of popularity which fans are tired of already. 

I love the New Mutants.  The original series is my favourite.  What I don't want is to see that series tainted by some baloney 'What If...?' mini series.   

The whole 'Forever' concept is just a drawn out 'What If...?'.  The real title is meant to be "What If...? Chris Claremont Continued To Write The New Mutants".  Except these aren't the stories that he would have told back then.  That was evident with X-Men: Forever when he included Nightcrawler & Kitty Pryde when they weren't even members of the X-Men at that time, because they were still with Excalibur (and therefore not available to either John Byrne or Chris Claremont in 1992).  It's an insult to our intelligence to pretend these are the stories he was going to tell.  More like, these are stories he wrote on the back of a beer mat.  The fact that someone actually enjoys them is a bonus for Claremont.    

I respect Louise Simonson for admitting that X-Factor: Forever isn't the story should would have told in the early 90's.  So why does Claremont have to pretend this is the story he was going to tell when he left New Mutants in 1987?    

New Mutants: Forever is only a 5 issue limited series.  Yet the promo has two characters using their powers in ways that weren't even dreamt of back then.   

Case 1 -  Dani Moonstar:  Back in the first year of New Mutants he established that Dani Moonstar's powers were going to evolve & eventually create realistic physical manifestations.  He left the title in 1987, and she eventually manifested physical constructs a year later in 1988.  However, in 2010 we now seeing her holding a psychic arrow; a concept which was created by Fabian Nicieza in 1993.  That was a brand new form for her powers to take, which had never been hinted at before.  It was over 15 years after Claremont had left the title.  But now he's going to pretend that was what he intended to write 17 years after Nicieza used it in X-Force.   

Case 2 - Magma:  Why is Magma flying?  Although I still have a few recent gaps in my collection, it was never established why she could fly during the 198 mini series.  Her power is connected to the Earth.  Claremont certainly never hinted at any signs of giving her an ability to fly.  Instead he had the earth directly linked to her emotions (earthquakes & volcanos that erupted when she was upset).  She briefly demonstrated her now-brushed-under-the-carpet ability to fly in 2006.  That's 21 years after Claremont had left the New Mutants.   

So... for a mini series that is meant to be set in 1987, with only 5 monthly issues, two characters are going to have powers that they didn't develop for 15-21 years.  And I'm expected to believe that was what he was going to write about back in 1987?  No, sorry... there's nothing on Earth that will convince me that's the case.   

@jordama said:
    " Is this really even necessary considering the New mutants, basically the exact same team, is already back together, with years more character development. X-Men Forever and even X-Factor Forever brings back teams that no longer exist the same way. "
    I couldn't agree more.   

I'd rather see a Amazing Fantasy: Forever with Stan Lee writing about Spider-Man's adventures from when he stopped writing...  I don't want to see my favourite team & my memories or my favourite title ruined by someone who is stuck in the past.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox-kitty: 
    you just pointed out that SWORD, a book that was canceled at issue five was better
    than a series that has lasted to issue 20 and now has two spin-offs? and that Ultimates has a
    diminished interest? do you know how many Ultimates books there have been, and how many spin-offs?
    that didnt happen because of a reboot, it actually got to that point because people were reading it!
    it does need a sequel, thats why it is there. because Forevers readers, which are not you are buying it and are 
    interested in it. 

again, and im not sure why this is hard to understand. you are either
    A.) reading the Forever series, which are not essential for you to read, but optional, and despising the books, which since
    they are on issue 20 is entirely on you. or
    B.) are not reading them because you do not like them, and therefore the books nor CC are affecting you in any way.
    and this is the option that is always open to you.
    doing otherwise would be like sticking your hand in fire, burning it, then doing it over and over again and blaming the fire
    and calling it bad. it doesnt make sense. 

BTW: i hope your cold or whatever is gone or gotten better, i keep forgetting to tell you. lol.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @CATMANEXE: I believe in quality, not quantity.  Just because something has a sequel, doesn't mean it deserves one.  Just as when a good quality title gets the axe, it doesn't mean it deserved to be cancelled.  I've had plenty of years of reading half-arsed X-Men comics to recognise a bad comic when I see one.  That's why I don't buy Uncanny or X-Men: Forever (but I do read about them), and I wont be buying New Mutants: Forever.  

It's not something that surprises me.  After all, Marvel's been churning out quantity instead of quality for decades now.  But the whole 'these are the stories [he] wanted to tell at the time he was booted off the title' angle annoys me, because I recognise it for the bull$&!£ it really is.  If they would just admit that 'this is just another crummy series that we're making to keep fund his loft conversion', then maybe (just 'maybe') I'd respect them a little more for it.

(Yes, thanks!)
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox-kitty: 
    well, okay then. like i said, its fully your right not to read them. 
    but if you don't its hard for you to claim they're as bad as you say, you know?
    much less say they shouldn't be made. they're readers would disagree with you,
    i'm obviously one of them. i was skeptical but Forever turned out pretty good,
    and i was definatly glad to be reading CC on X-men again. so to each their own there.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jordama

I do like the fact that they all have unique-ish twists on the uniform.
    SirSparkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SirSparkington

I hope they release something (a catch-up) for those of us who weren't even alive when Claremont's run was going on.

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By waruikumo

Not a huge fan of these books.

barleyherb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By barleyherb

You're all missing the point. And the point is: Doug Ramsey Is Not Dead. Some of us have been waiting years for this moment.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.