Follow

New Mutants

Team » New Mutants appears in 1671 issues.

The New Mutants are a team of young mutants in training at Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters.

My toughts on NEW MUTANTS #5

darkmagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By darkmagik

The drawing was strange in this number, but preferable in 4 precedents. Really, it is rare to see KARMA resembling in one Asian, it was time!

MAGIK and MOONSTAR was dressed to such as they must be, and I would like that SAM can once again have the hairstyle of its beginning (what would go better with its role and its past of small soldier crossed to CABLE)

Similar for MAGMA, the long hair goes to her well but more curly would be better to identify better every character. SUNSPOT seems to have become again the charmer of his ladies!

I have the impression that they aren't never lost sight from each others during all these years, it is cool and good!

Personally I would have preferred seeing again MOONSTAR with the psychic arrow ( my favourite between three dimensional illusions, to foresee death, her empathic bond with animals, her tangible three dimensional projections, her power to control all quantum energies ),that another new power (to confirm). she seems to have become now very strong girl with a sword + BRIGHTWING is once again alive (???)

I hope that in series NECROSHA, in which we shall see the return of WARLOCK and CYPHER, will also have us joy to see again also too absent WOLFSBANE of the adventures of X-FORCE.
    I waits with impatience for the return of HELLIONS, and the true battle between WOLFSBANE and CATSEYE.

MAGIK obviously did not take away the bewitching still so that EMPATH recuperates view as she has promised to MAGMA.

I would also like to see a little more COLOSSUS maintaining some interactions with his sister for whom it had killed himself, and see the reaction of ILLYANA also on the disappearing of KITTY.

For the time being YANA seems far from being very nice with her old friends, her who however since her return claimed them.

I hope to see also DAVID exchanging with XAVIER, wich one given his own life to save his father last time when we saw him.

It would be time to see the power of KARMA evolving a little more too !    
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Pania

Technically Dani is still depowered. She does not have her mutant abilities, so no psychic lance.  Dani regained Brightwing after she asked Hala for her Valkyrie powers back in order to defeat Ares in the Utopia story arc in Uncanny. 

Wolfsbane and Catseye are friends, they really don't like fighting one another. 

And Legion did not give his life to save his father in the 616. He went back in time and tried to kill Magneto and instead killed Xavier, creating the Age of Apocalypse storyline/alternate universe. Bishop managed to go back in time and prevent Legion from killing either of them.

And I really don't like the trend of constantly changing up and stacking mutant powers on a character. If a writer applies a little imagination, they can use the same power in new and creative ways. That's what all those old passe' writers of the silver and bronze ages used to do...y'know. The ones that actually had talent and skill.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

I agree.  It was nice to see them looking like they weren't just a blank causasian template but coloured differently!  And as silly as it is, I'm with you on Magma's hair.  She just never looked right with straight hair, and her curly style made her more distinctive :) 

I was never crazy about the psychic arrows.  But it was a sign of the times.  An offensive power for the steroid-pumped & explosive 90's.  In the original New Mutants series, it was hinted at very early on that Dani's powers would one day be able to manifest themselves as real physical forms (when the Brood Queen/Xavier tapped into her powers), which was why she later gained that ability in the Evolutionary Wars.  But like Pania said, if a writer is creative & imaginative enough then they should be able to use existing powers without needing to reinvent characters.  

As Pania pointed out, it was Hela that gave Dani her Valkyrie powers back.  If the Goddess of Death can't bring a pegasus back from the dead, then who can ;) 

From what I've read about Necrosha, I don't think that Wolfsbane will be around for a confrontation with Catseye.  Although all resurrected characters will be forced to follow Selene's orders (which could force a fight between Wolsbane & Catseye), I'm pretty sure that Wolfsbane will still be in X-Force, while the Hellions will appear in New Mutants.  That said, there are still going to be a LOT of strange reunions and I'm sure Wolfsbane will want to see Cypher after everything has settled down! 

I don't know what you were hinting at with Magik & Empath.  However, it would be nice to see more interaction with Colossus and Illyana.  She originally sacrificed herself in Inferno thinking that he was dead.  And it was later her death from the Legacy Virus that caused Colossus to sacrifice himself.  So they've been torn apart by death too many times.  Now they're actually both alive at the same time, and both old enough to deal with all the problems of the past...so it is way over-due for some Rasputin family time!   Don't forget the way that Illyana was resurrected in Limbo, so she has very little of her soul left.  She will be mean to her old friends, because it's in her demonic nature... but when it comes to Colossus she still seems to revert to being a little girl.

Given that Illyana seems to have spent a lot of time back on Earth, she must be aware of Kitty's "death".  I get the feeling that the Marvel X-Editors are avoiding the subject on purpose, so they don't bring her back too soon :( 

Hopefully Legion will have time together with Xavier.  They've never really spent much time together.  There was a few weeks they had together after the Professor & Dani first helped Legion.  However, as soon as that finished, Xavier went into space with Lilandra & the Starjammers for a few years... and Xavier seemed to have forgotten all about his son.  They still have a lot of catching up to do.  Although I suspect that David wont let go of Marci's personality... so it might be interesting to see how he interacts with people when he has a little girl (who had a normal upbringing) to help him along the way. 

And technically Karma has already received some changes in her powers.  There was a short story during Manifest Destiny where Emma Frost was trying to train her on a more telepathic level.  And it was that extension of her telepathic powers that helped her to locate Marci (and resulted in her being trapped inside Legion).  I heard an interview with Zeb Wells where he described Karma as a challenge, because she had been int he comics a LOT less than the other New Mutants.  So I'm sure he'll flesh out her character & powers a lot more :) 

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Watch Dog

I did not like this issue the story I thought was weak and the art was horrible I will be probably be dropping this comic after NNECROSHA

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Watch Dog: Are you dropping the title based on this sole issue??  Because the artist is only a fill-in for one issue.
    darkmagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By darkmagik

MAGMA is shown flying in XMEN 198 where she skips from an helicopter with her boyfriend (the 2 figures fly) and in SECRET XMEN INVASION also flying with SUNSPOT.

THE NEW MUTANT #5 show ILLYANA going out of her meeting with the Doctor KRAO with a small sword in pendant around the neck, where from my question to know if it was the SOULSWORD (I wouldn't like this idea )

Another question than I settle, is to understand why THE SOULSWORD can be kept physically by other person than ILLYANA RASPUTIN????
    In my memory, her sword was a kind of extension of her soul. Much later it was revealed that the sword was just the beginning of her magically strengths. then It was revealed by Dr. Doom that THE SOULSWORD granted leadership of Limbo, and the armor was, by right, the protection given to the owner of the sword.

But remember that it's a magical symbol/weapon.

So why MARGALI SWARDOS, DOCTOR DOOM and AMANDA SEFTON, WITCHFIRE, BELASCO et SYM has been able to hold this sword without being covered with the armor which accompanies it???
    (The armor of AMANDA SEFTON in the serie MAGIK was,'t really the same  that the one of ILLYANA RASPUTIN, but rather seemed to be a kind of costume since she always carried it in NEW X-MEN when she comes back on earth to announce the return of BELASCO, at this instant there, she was not any more in possession of the sword )

And why NIGHTCRAWLER and WARREN WORTHINGTON not having any report with magic could also hold it without being covered with the armor too ???

The only explanation having been given up to now was for SHADOWCAT, for which we know that ILLYANA by magic and the link which joined them, allowed KITTY to be able to hold the sword. And by consequence to be covered by the armure which accompanies it (as see in UNCANNY X-MEN and EXCALIBUR)

In my memory, the sword appeared as if by magic, accompanied with the armor and often in the presence of sorcery!!

The confrontation for which I waits between WOLSFBANE and CATSEYE come due to the fact that the deads being supposed to come back in NECROSHA does not seem similar to what they used to be, otherwise CYPHER would not be on the side of SELENE and THE HELLIONS! CATSEYE  will have therefore have nothing more with the nice girl that we had known as well as TAROT.

The only confrontation between WOLFSBANE and CATSEYE was in the serie AGE OF APOCALYPSE, clash which was in no way intéressant since WOLFSBANE  knock out CATSEYE very fast. I would like to see this confrontation because I liked the rare times when it arrived those between FERAL and WOLFSBANE (now that FERAL is dead does not any more risk arriving) And then a girl who is transformed into dog, must have his opposite with a girl who is transformed into cat! (just kidding... I know the difference between a wolf and a dog, and between a cat and a purple lion )

As regards to the envoutement thrown on EMPATH by PIXIE, in the new serie THE NEW MUTANT #1, when the team goes in search of MOONSTAR and KARMA, during trip in BLACKBIRD, ILLYANA offers to MAGMA to remove the spell which prevents EMPATH from covering view... But nothing more since and in the preview on the serie NECROSHA, this one still seems blind.

To end, let us forget CANNONBAL's EXTERNAL side, but let us come back rather on the power. I me recall not to have seen again him cast his thermo-kinetic energy into powerful concussive blasts trought his hands??    
    Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Watch Dog
    @xerox-kitty said:

" @Watch Dog: Are you dropping the title based on this sole issue??  Because the artist is only a fill-in for one issue. "

No not just because of this issue but largely I did not like the way Sun spot was written or Cannon ball or Moonstar 
    But you never know after  NECROSHA it might be so good that it gits to stay. Its happened before I was going to drop The Initiative and then they put Task master in the book and I was right back to buying it
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Watch Dog: That's fair enough.  I've flipped & flopped back & forth with it so far.  I do enjoy it, but sometimes it's a bit too slow or awkward.  But I do get a feel of the original title in it (which I really enjoy).  But unless you're a fan of Doug & Warlock then I don't know if it'll improve for you.  Still... Necrosha looks like it'll be good!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.