Follow

New Mutants

Team » New Mutants appears in 1671 issues.

The New Mutants are a team of young mutants in training at Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters.

If I read only New Mutants. . .?

Spiders_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Spiders_Man

Back in the day. Up until about 2005 I was an avid reader of New Mutants and then New X Men, I stopped just after Decimation and I want start up again. My question is; will I understand some of the wider events and stories relating to the X Men Universe if I only read New Mutants Volume 3?

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By IrishX

You could always use Comicvine to catch up on events and get a general understanding. Just look up the story arc pages for each event.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PrinceIMC

Well the current New Mutants are actually the original New Mutants. So if you liked Dani Moonstar, Karma and Magma you get to see a bit more of them, mostly Moonstar. And it usually crosses over with the main X-events but it won't tell you everything.

Spiders_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spiders_Man

Cheers, this is all helpful. I did grow up in the 90s with the original team so thats great. I have no real interest in the recent X-Events but I still like the New Mutants.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

The honest answer is 'Yes'.  Zeb Wells has used the original series as his inspiration, completly ignoring the majority of continuity & character development after Chris Claremont's initial run, with tips of the hat to Moonstar's lack of powers & Inferno.

You need to know about Legion, that Doug died, that Moonstar was a Valkyrie, and about the kidnapped babies in Infero.  After that, you don't need to know anything else... as it only complicates matters.  For instance, there's no explanation as to why Sunspot & Cannonball have undergone serious decrease in power, reverting back to what they were originally. 

Spiders_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spiders_Man

I am aware of Dougs death and the Inferno Babies but the rest is basically a blur :D. Is there anything else I should pick up to fill in the gaps. . ?

unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By unicornpuncher

No thats about it.  Just keep in mind theres going to be alot of crossing over coming up, so it might make you branch out into some other titles as well

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.