Dual Review: New Mutants #10

#1 Posted by kid_keio (13 posts) - - Show Bio

good review , i've never read new mutants before and just bought it for the cover . I really liked it and i'm probably going to keep up with the series for the time being ....  But im not a huge fan of a possible new leader  cause im a big fan of cyclops 

#2 Posted by G-Man (30625 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it's foreshadowing that Cyclops will die in Second Coming? 

One Will Die
Staff
#3 Posted by Power NeXus (9899 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do you guys keep mentioning Dani Moonstar being depowered? Didn't she get her Valkyrie powers back in the Utopia arc?
#4 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Great review, I agree with G-Man they went through a number of events to bring Magik back, its weird that she wasn't in this issue...

#5 Posted by kid_keio (13 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:  that would be too upfront to say one will die and put that guy on the same poster .... i think its cable below cyclops in that one 
#6 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio
@Power NeXus: No, she just made a deal to temporarily get them back she is back to being depowered :(
#7 Posted by tropical island (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Who will Cyclops name the new leader of X-men. It should be either one of these- Iceman, warpath, cannonball or x-man.

#8 Posted by Wildstar (1012 posts) - - Show Bio

Cannonball should be the only one of the New Mutants that is even thought of in that position. Dani has had Shield trainging and all that jazz, but she hasn't been in the field enough with the various X-men to even be thought of as a viable leader. And I for one would take training from Cable over Shield training anyday. And are they serious about  Karma??? That's a slap in the face towards Sam. She's done nothing to deserve any looking at except be the oldest member of the team. The only female in the X-universe that should step up and get a leadership role(that hsn't had one already) is Shadowcat.
#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that Emma still looks down on the New Mutants, since they were the team she was constantly trying to steal... so in a way, she's still belittling her continuing failure ;) 

What bothered me about this, is that Cyclops is looking for an heir.  Why?!  He's got several X-Men who have already led the X-Men; Storm, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Wolverine... It just seems too contrived.  But it's also the idea that Cannonball isn't a capable leader.  He lead the New Mutants (with and without Dani's help), he lead X-Force successfully, he became a strong member of the X-Men... and now he's being bumped down into a bumbling hick yet again. 

Although I liked the art (it was much much better than Diogenes Neves' bog-standard generic comic book art), the story was dull.  Since the first issue there has been too much focus on Cyclops.  Can't we have an X-Title without the ridiculous sycophantic attention upon the all-mighty God of mutants Cyclops...?!

#10 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3546 posts) - - Show Bio

Good lord, it's warm enough there to sit outside? I still have two feet of snow outside and icicles over a meter long hanging off my house. Looks to snow even more tomorrow.

I am always impressed by G-Man's ability to name off titles from the past. Though, I'm similar when it comes to that detective series Detective Conan

I do really like that cover, but I really enjoy playing chess.

@xerox-kitty:
Cyclops probably feels a need to start grooming someone for leadership. What if something would happen to both he and Emma? They both were in serious risk after the whole Void incident. They can't leave leadership of mutants to Magneto.

#11 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate to read Sunspot is being portrayed as being annoying.  (like me)  I like him as a character and I like his powers, so that's a bit of a bummer.  Nice art.   

Yeah, don't know why the "old" team are still being called New Mutants.  They should integrate with the regular X-Men already!

#12 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt: I just don't buy it.  The X-Men have survived without Cyclops before, and back then Emma Frost was considered to be a villain so she isn't essential to the survival of the team/mutant race.  They've even been led by a powerless mutant before, so the insinuation that Dani could be a future leader is hardly a surprise.   

I do like this new series, but it really feels as if a lot of character development over the last 20 years has been skimmed over.  The characters are older, but seem to have had the reset button pressed on their personalities.  They've been through so much since the original New Mutants series finished, but they're back to being insecure & need Cyclops to oversee their every movement.  It just doesn't feel right, not yet.
#13 Posted by Anthony Robson92 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the issue, i'm always happy to see older X-Villains resurfacing in some ways although it would be cool to see deeper plots with the mutates like an explanation as to why there was only a few of them heading to Nation X. 
I'm also a big Cannonball fan so I liked the possible nod to him having a more certain future with the X-Men.
#14 Posted by Bastion the Master--Sentinel (60 posts) - - Show Bio

d&g glasses...

#15 Posted by Namor1987 (1881 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Sam, Dani, or Yes Bobby Drake should  be the next leader. Because In my opinion Bobby hasn't fulfilled his full potential like all the other 5 original X-Men where as Beast is leading a science team & one of the lead geneticist in the Marvel Universe, Jean has harnessed the Phoenix Force, Scott is currently leading the entire mutant race, Archangel/Angel has conquered his Death persona but what has Bobby really done I think he should lead the mutants in my opinion I think even the jokester knows whens to stop playing games &get serious. But I think all the New Mutants should be kinda like the Uncanny X-Men where as the original X-Men & their class should be the elders & mentors like that whole teacher & squad storyline they had a while ago with Gambit leading his own team stuff like that.I haven't had a chance to read this issue due to money issues but I hope to soon 

#16 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Where was Magma this issue? Still recovering?

#17 Posted by thatlad (590 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think any of the new mutants are even close to being a viable leader of the x-men. None of them show the tactical aptitudes of scott, I cant see any of them being one step ahead of anyone. On that criteria though I cant see anyone being able to lead the x-men (aside from Storm but been there done that!) 

#18 Posted by thatlad (590 posts) - - Show Bio
@Namor1987: I don't know about Bobby leading the x-men but I do wish they would finally bite the bullet and have him realise his full potential. He's an omega level mutant but has been stuck at the bottom rung of his powers for decades!!!  
Given the mutants current situation it would make sense for Bobby to step up, grow up and realise his full potential. Could be a damn good story 
#19 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

love seeing so many classics. and Worm, lol.

I like the whole leader grooming thing. seems like its just going to be for long drawn out character development
and relationship, not some big bang soon to come (sorry G). especially like that it seems to be Dani. she's been
ready for awhile. not just in the initiative she showed since the beginning of this book, but in others like Civil War
The Initiative for example.

@thatlad said:

" @Namor1987: I don't know about Bobby leading the x-men but I do wish they would finally bite the bullet and have him realise his full potential. He's an omega level mutant but has been stuck at the bottom rung of his powers for decades!!!    "
he's been leveled up for quite some time. problem is writers rarely show anything but him blasting. 
in i think the first issue of this serious theres a bar fight where someone hits his arm and breaks their own.
in this issue he was taking Sauron solo, who last seen was a problem for the New Avengers as a team.
#20 Posted by thatlad (590 posts) - - Show Bio

True but it's always been implied he can do so much more eg AOA version could teleport if i remember rightly. All he's doing at me moment is being a living ice cube maker, seems such a waste of a great character

#21 Posted by Beatrix (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally don't think that any of the New Mutants have either the capabilities or the name value to lead the entirety of the X-Men. Dani's great, but leading the entire team…? She's not important enough in the overall team dynamic, there are certain characters which clearly shout "X-man" when you see them, ones who are wholly more experienced and more important. It's just the way they've been written over the years, and unfortunately some characters — especially the New Mutants — have been sidelined. They should (at least some of them) be brought into the main teams, and be able to establish themselves and work their way up… but to lead right away? 

It seems reckless of the writers to be honest.  WHY would Cyclops pick someone from (let's be honest) a junior team?

Not Iceman please… all for focussing on him and making him more important though. 
I don't see why — if Cyclops (who I love btw, and honestly don't think is replaceable) — Storm or Emma can't lead. I'd say Rogue (although her current role is quite good, and I think she's better suited as a team leader or rather than THE overall leader.) Or Domino… but she's a bit unpredictable.  
I'm going with Storm or Emma here. 

Jean… made a pretty good leader though…… it's kinda inevitable at some point isn't it guys?

#22 Posted by daveydavey (359 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked this issue. I didnt see it as a filler issue, just because it's not a Major tie in to some Giant Crossover doesnt mean it filler. You cant have A-list villans without a few B-list villans now and then.

#23 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@thatlad: missed where you said Bobby. the character in new mutants, and one of two possibly looked at leaders for the X-Men is Cannonball, whom i thought you meant and was talking about myself.
#24 Edited by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

oh Emma Frost...why are you such a b!£ch?

#25 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Also I am liking these Dual reviews.  And i agree with Babs, i really like Dani/Moonstar's character she shows a lot of strength and initiative.  She also led the other New Mutants for a while, the team with Prodigy and Elixir.

#26 Posted by Wildstar (1012 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope the person that dies and leaves a hole to be filled is Rogue.
#27 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

I missed Illyana in this issue.  

#28 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

Paul Davidson
#29 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Yuck

#30 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" Where was Magma this issue? Still recovering? "
That was my guess... Can't say I missed her, since she's pretty much reduced to eye-candy who flutters her eyes at Sunspot which seems to be more reason to portray him as a possessive angry young man :p
#31 Posted by N15PCA (63 posts) - - Show Bio

It's kind of wired to see adult's talk about a comic book at a park bench when you can hear kids playing has your doing your comic book review.  At least it look's like a nice day outside to do a video review.
#32 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: @xerox-kitty said:
" I do like this new series, but it really feels as if a lot of character development over the last 20 years has been skimmed over.  The characters are older, but seem to have had the reset button pressed on their personalities.  They've been through so much since the original New Mutants series finished, but they're back to being insecure & need Cyclops to oversee their every movement.  It just doesn't feel right, not yet. "
I can come up with some justifications: I'm sure the death of Sam's brother Jay may still have shaken him which could lead him to self doubts if he's still capable of saving lives. Roberto's jovial personality could be a defence mechanism to cover his shame ever since he took his father's place of the hellfire club. Dani has lost her mutant powers so she's putting up a tough act to be more accepted (even though we all know she has already proved herself to be tough and courageous). I don't know about Xi'an and Amara so I'll leave it to that.
#33 Posted by Namor1987 (1881 posts) - - Show Bio

I've got a wildcard & don't take me seriously but what if Deadpool ran the X-Men that would be fun but they'd either be driven into the ground or kill themselves but in all seriousness Wolverine I was watching Wolverine & The X-Men on dvd yesterday & realized he's a really good leader even though he's got some sadistic/sociopath tendencies but X-23 or some body could calm him down before he went into "BERSERKER  BARRAGE" or another canidate I love Magneto he's lead the mutant race on numerous occasions with semi-good results lol if you can't find something good in the future look to the past

#34 Posted by victorvndoom (82 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" Maybe it's foreshadowing that Cyclops will die in Second Coming? 

One Will Die
"
could be emma :(
#35 Posted by Quntumking (216 posts) - - Show Bio

The juggernaut and mimic were non-mutant members of the x-men.I think there have been a few other's.overall thank's for the review.

#36 Posted by colleen33408 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the idea of picking a leader from this team who have grown up with Xavier's dream. Some past leaders of the X-Men have been absolute jokes to me as they are way too unstable (Rogue, Gambit). Part of leadership is supporting the team emotionally, not just in combat. 

In the first run of New Mutants, Dani was the battle "chief" and Sam was the one people leaned on, and the editors acknowledged this is why they made great co-leaders in the letters page. Dani was deemed by Xavier to have the equivalent tactical ability of Cyclops at a similar age.

In X-Force, there seemed to be a role reversal. I do hope Dani returns to being Mirage and gets her powers back, as they are unique and fun. Sam shouldn't be a bumpkin but overall I do think Dani is the more capable leader.

#37 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

I also think it's Dani's turn to step up in the spot light. 
She has had her share of side coaching now its time to come forward and take charge.

#38 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18819 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it might be Dani, since don't forget she basically took name in that issue, without having powers... But also IDK why it would be Karma though..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.