Amazing New Mutants Redesigns By Daniel Govar

Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

New Mutants; New Threads

Every now & then, an artist will draw comic book characters for the fun of it, or for commission. The results are often imaginative, fun & inspirational. This is one of those times.

I've been honest about my dislike of the 'new' New Mutants title for some time now. In fact, it's got so bad that for the first time ever I've stopped buying the New Mutants; my former all-time favourite comic book. But when I stumbled across these redesigns on Project: Rooftop, (where the super heroes catwalk is far above the city streets) I was blown away... and a little crushed. In my opinion, these are just so fresh and beautiful that it's criminal we can't have this level of quality in the actual New Mutants title.

Daniel Govar

Daniel Govar was the writer and artist of Azure from the now-defunct Zudacomics. You can find more about him & his talent at Daniel Govar's own website. And hopefully we'll see his talent in more comics in future!

As much as I love these redesigns, it's doubtful that there'll be any more. That said, even though Cypher & Karma didn't get their own solo profile, you can still find them in the group picture! It was the group picture that caught my eye, as it was reminiscent of action, energy & originality in the classic Bill Sienkiewicz New Mutants pin-ups.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these as much as I did!

Cannonball
Magik / Darkchylde
Magma
Mirage
Sunspot
Warlock
Wolfsbane
New Mutants
#1 Posted by Hot_Karl (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Cannonball looks legit. I'd wear that during a night out on the town.

#2 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

*Drools* These. Are. Amazing!

#3 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@VinceNotVance said:

@sora_thekey said:

*Drools* These. Are. Amazing!

This sh*t is sooooooooooo awesome. Itws truly amazing. Cannonball, Magik... everyone looks awesome. Something seems off about Sunspot, but he looks awesome too.

#4 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Yeah Sunspot doesn't ... match. Still awesome!

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32847 posts) - - Show Bio

Warlock looks creepy

#6 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

This sh*t is sooooooooooo awesome. Itws truly amazing. Cannonball, Magik... everyone looks awesome. Something seems off about Sunspot, but he looks awesome too.

It's probably the disco white trousers. I think he raided Eddie Gordo's wardrobe & then stole a Wrestler's prize belt ;)

#7 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty: I swear I was thinking the same thing about the wrestler.

To be honest its just that the pants don't match him as a character, it looks like he was stuck in the era that Angel was in during "Divided we stand" or something. Something about his Torso is also off.

#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#9 Posted by Renchamp (2288 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Mirage. The pose makes her seem very, very ominous.

#10 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio

lol good stuff

#11 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

He is a great artist.

#12 Posted by The Myth (551 posts) - - Show Bio

These are awsome!!!!

#13 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

badass

#14 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

You have wonderful taste in art and an equally wonderful eye for it. I look fore ward to these Blogs and thank you for them.

I was dreaming of this art in a project done under Dynamite, whom has handled a few Marvel properties before. I think Marvel would be hesitant

to publish this as such because it might make a few of their other titles look terrible by comparison as well to over shadow their " architects " ?

I'd thought this part of the reason why they never grab up people like Livio Ramondelli for example. Luckily companies like IDW are a bit more visionary

and less influenced by a political infrastructure and grab people like him up, I would love to see Govar over there, or with someone like Top Cow, as his work

certainly compliments their designs well. Either way I'll keep on eye on where this one goes.

#15 Posted by Whisper_ (3459 posts) - - Show Bio

@VinceNotVance said:

I'd laugh and point. And then take pictures to blackmail you.

#16 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome.

#17 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

This is pretty cool:

#19 Posted by Chesapeake (2210 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome pics. I do not know who is writing the story about the rockstar guys vs New Mutatnts. It seems so bad.

#20 Posted by tenebyss (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. Govar certainly has an interesting style. Warlock looks the coolest

#21 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey: Yeah, I thought that was a nice tough :)

@Chesapeake: Oh, I've been avoiding it all. I gave New Mutants a last chance, and it failed me so badly. I bought to the end of Fear Itself, but gave up reading before the end of that 'arc' it was just so bad. So when I see such talent & passion in pictures such as these, it makes me even more sad & depressed for the current state of my old favourite team.

#22 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega Ray Jay said:

good stuff

#23 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing I don't like is Sunspot's wrestler belt.

#24 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

The only thing I don't like is Sunspot's wrestler belt.

Aww, Bobby needs a bit of bling to show off his millions to all the chicas he's saving ;)

#25 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

Great artwork... Who's the chick in the green with the sword? Is that Karma?

#26 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: Yep. And you can just about see Cypher inside Warlock.

#27 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

@papad1992: Yep. And you can just about see Cypher inside Warlock.

Cool... The way Warlock and Cypher are designed it reminds me of the 90s movie Star Kid!!

Also I'm in love with Wolfsbanes design!!

#28 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5181 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!!

#29 Posted by bdanko (18 posts) - - Show Bio

frickin' beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 Posted by Demonturtle (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Those are really good! I like the Cannonball one the best then the team pic. I hope Govar does some more art soon!

#31 Posted by Ms. Omega (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

Love them all :)

#32 Posted by DP812 (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice!

#33 Posted by Sammie (18 posts) - - Show Bio

All of these are pretty great, I think Wolfsbane, Cannonball and Warlock in paticular really stand out

#34 Posted by damekkodark (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Canonball and magma looks good)

#35 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish there was some of past members............Rusty <3

#36 Posted by kid Apollo (709 posts) - - Show Bio

Warlocke and Moonstar are my favourites

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.