Wouldn`t this be a win-win combination? Garth Ennis+New Gods.

Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3722 posts) - - Show Bio

Think of it. Orion, God of war, written by the war story-veteran Ennis!

The brutal forces of Apokolips, as cruel as they should be!

Ridiculing characters like Highfather, Kalibak, Desaad etc!

Black humor!

And also...KIRBYISTIC ENNIS-DIALOGUE.

COSMIC stories.

New characters.

Possible chameos by, I dunno, JLA.

Hopefully, and most probably, an entertaining, correct take on these characters.

And more. For example, art by someone who`s possibly really talented.

Think about it.

You know you want it.

Who am I kidding? Nobody/not enough many wants/want to read about New Gods...

#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

If I could pick I'd have Hickman and Byrne

#2 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3722 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Sounds good too. I`d also like to have Grant Morrison and Tom Scioli. Warren Ellis and Marcos Martin. And ghost of Jack Kirby, to finish up the Pre crisis-New Gods-epic the way he wanted!

#3 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a joke, right?  

Ennis would reduce the New Gods to nothing more than vulgarity and violence. Purely lowest common denominator stuff.  

The only people who should be allowed to write the New Gods are Grant Morrison and Grant Morrison.

#4 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

John Byrne? Why in God's name? He wrote the New Gods for half a decade and failed to get a single thing right.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom: on art not writing

#6 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@AtPhantom: on art not writing

Oh. Not a big fan of that either to be honest.

#7 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3722 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt:

Nah. I`m being pretty serious.

I haven`t read the newest Ennis-stories, so maybe you`re right. Though, the tone of the words you wrote, imply that you might also be wrong, since you wrote that out of irritation, and strong feelings often cloud logical thinking.

yes, I`m being serious again.

As for Morrison, he should write about them too, of course.

@AtPhantom:

I`m sure there were correct bits in his stories, too. Besides, I`m pretty sure that he wont be working for DC again, because of personal reasons.

But, what would you say about Ennis writing about them? ANY opinions?

#8 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: I've never read Ennis so I really can't comment. But from what I hear Garth Ennis and Epic Superhero Saga are pretty much polar opposites.

Warren Ellis would be awesome though.

#9 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3722 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom:

Might be true. But maybe he could make it in a smaller scale. I don`t know if it would fit in to the characters, though.

He`s not writing for DC anymore either, though.

#10 Posted by entropy_aegis (15098 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

John Byrne? Why in God's name? He wrote the New Gods for half a decade and failed to get a single thing right.

What's your opinion on Giffen and Conway? I feel that they atleast got Darkseid right,but Giffen admittedly didn't play around with the rest of the New Gods.

#11 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

@AtPhantom:

Might be true. But maybe he could make it in a smaller scale. I don`t know if it would fit in to the characters, though.

He`s not writing for DC anymore either, though.

With the exception of Morrison, I wouldn't really take anyone who is writing for DC right now.

#12 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

What's your opinion on Giffen and Conway? I feel that they atleast got Darkseid right,but Giffen admittedly didn't play around with the rest of the New Gods.

It's been a really long time since I read Conway but from what I remember he didn't exactly dazzle me with anything. I never really analyzed the run in depth or anything. Mostly it was just there for me. Also I couldn't get over how stupid Orion's costume looked.

Giffen was always good. He kinda hates Darkseid, but he has a pretty good understanding of the character and ideas Kirby put into the mythos. You can probably add him to the list of people in DC I'd pick to write a NG series.

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: I'm interested in what you think of Hickmans writing?

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (57916 posts) - - Show Bio

Ennis isn't even interesting writing any superhero stories right now and if he would, he should write Superman (or a Superman type character).
I'd rather want Brian Azzarello on New Gods since he's handling a few of them in Wonder Woman and he would have the time for it after he's finished with his minis.
BB

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (57916 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

This is a joke, right? Ennis would reduce the New Gods to nothing more than vulgarity and violence. Purely lowest common denominator stuff. The only people who should be allowed to write the New Gods are Grant Morrison and Grant Morrison.

Well someone forgot about Walter Simonson :p
BB

#16 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

This is a joke, right? Ennis would reduce the New Gods to nothing more than vulgarity and violence. Purely lowest common denominator stuff. The only people who should be allowed to write the New Gods are Grant Morrison and Grant Morrison.

BB

I stand by what I said. 

@Jonny_Anonymous: Terrible, overrated writer who so desperately wants to be thought of as intelligent that he'll jump on any lazy, pseudo-intellectual idea he can get his hands on. He uses conspiracies and secret histories in order to masquerade his shortcomings as a canon-writer. Research? Nah, I'll just say that everything you knew about this particular franchise was false. His writing in Avengers has shown his fundamental lack of integrity in addition to his lack of talent.
#17 Posted by Billy Batson (57916 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt:

You didn't like his Orion? :o
BB

#18 Posted by entropy_aegis (15098 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@entropy_aegis said:

It's been a really long time since I read Conway but from what I remember he didn't exactly dazzle me with anything. I never really analyzed the run in depth or anything. Mostly it was just there for me. Also I couldn't get over how stupid Orion's costume looked.

Giffen was always good. He kinda hates Darkseid, but he has a pretty good understanding of the character and ideas Kirby put into the mythos. You can probably add him to the list of people in DC I'd pick to write a NG series.

I dunno compared to most of the writers out there Conway's Darkseid seemed gold to me.

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Billy Batson said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

BB

I stand by what I said.

@Jonny_Anonymous: Terrible, overrated writer who so desperately wants to be thought of as intelligent that he'll jump on any lazy, pseudo-intellectual idea he can get his hands on. He uses conspiracies and secret histories in order to masquerade his shortcomings as a canon-writer. Research? Nah, I'll just say that everything you knew about this particular franchise was false. His writing in Avengers has shown his fundamental lack of integrity in addition to his lack of talent.

Well I wouldn't know about that, the Avengers is usually sh!t anyway

#20 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

I dunno compared to most of the writers out there Conway's Darkseid seemed gold to me.

It might be time to re-read Conway. Like I said, It's been a loong time.

#21 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

Ennis isn't even interesting writing any superhero stories right now and if he would, he should write Superman (or a Superman type character).
I'd rather want Brian Azzarello on New Gods since he's handling a few of them in Wonder Woman and he would have the time for it after he's finished with his minis.
BB

Funny thing is....That Ennis actually like Superman.  He makes fun of superheroes, but likes Supes.
#22 Posted by TDK_1997 (14653 posts) - - Show Bio

This could work but not really much.More like someone like Azzarello right now.

#23 Posted by King of the Vines (21 posts) - - Show Bio

It wouldn't work, for one thing Ennis would have no interest in the source material so why pair a writer with a preexisting concept he wouldn't want to write. It's not even his genre at all, he would just make the New Gods into Ennis rather then making them better at being what they are (which is what a good writer should do and the sort of thing he did with The Punisher or John Constantine, neither of whom is anything like The New Gods).

#24 Posted by Billy Batson (57916 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

Funny thing is....That Ennis actually like Superman. He makes fun of superheroes, but likes Supes.

I know that's why I said it...
Superman is one of the two superheroes that Ennis likes (the other one being Spidey). His Hitman #34 is one of the best Superman stories written and the other times he's written him have been nothing but respectful.
BB

#25 Edited by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3722 posts) - - Show Bio

@King of the Vines:

I guess that`s true. Maybe he likes them, though?

Probably not.

@TDK_1997:

I would like to have at least a one shot, yeah. You CAN dream, right?

#26 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

The only people who should be allowed to write the New Gods are Grant Morrison and Grant Morrison and .

#27 Posted by Dernman (14899 posts) - - Show Bio

I want Grant Morrison to stay far away from any future New Gods stories.

#28 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3722 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35:

@Dernman:

Sorry Dernman, but I agree with X35 (not about FTBB, `cause I haven`t read his stories involving New Gods, so I can`t know for sure). Lucky for you, we don`t decide that Morrison suddenly gets to write 5-6 series, (be they then ongoings or miniseries) that construct another New Gods-epic.

#29 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@X35 said:

The only people who should be allowed to write the New Gods are Grant Morrison and Grant Morrison and @FadeToBlackBolt.

This is a good point. 
#30 Posted by entropy_aegis (15098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson:He really hates Wolverine.

#31 Posted by Billy Batson (57916 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Don't we all?
BB

#32 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Don't we all?
BB

And he doesn't like batman either.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.