Follow

New Gods

Team » New Gods appears in 728 issues.

Created by Jack Kirby, The New Gods are ruled by the wise and benevolent High Father on the planet of New Genesis, while minions exist only to serve the dictator Darkseid on the twin planet of Apokolips.

Are The New Gods Giants?

Avatar image for darkknight96000
    darkknight96000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darkknight96000

I read somewhere online that the New Gods are actually giants and that the boom tubes are what allow them to enter the main dc universe as normal sized beings is this true?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AtPhantom

Yes, it is.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By King_Saturn
    how big would you estimate these New Gods are at regular size ? Could they be the size of possibly Galactus ? 
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AtPhantom

It varies. Devilance from 52 seemed to be in the general range as Galactus. Supergirl once traveled to Apokolips without a boom tube and she was pretty much the size of Darkseid's finger, which should put them a bit above Galactus.

On the other hand, in New Gods vol three, S'ivaa tears a hole between the fourth world and our universe, and New Gods were big enough to be able to hold the Earth in the palms of their hands, putting them far above Galactus, or Celestials, or just about any other corporeal entity in DC or Marvel.

darkknight96000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By darkknight96000

To add to my original question, how much more powerfull are they in their true forms?
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AtPhantom
    @DarkKnight96000 said:
    " To add to my original question, how much more powerfull are they in their true forms? "
    It is generally accepted that travel through Boom tube only shrinks your size, it does not take from your power. New Gods should be the of the same power level regardless of their size.

On the other hand, Final crisis establishes that we have never seen some Gods, like Darkseid, outside of the Fourth World, and that every appearance New Gods had in our universe were just avatars of the true Gods. True Darkseid entering our reality from the fourth world threw the entire universe out of whack.
    It creates a few continuity problems, but what's there is there.
    darkknight96000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By darkknight96000

Another question given what the New Gods are, shouldn't they be more powerfull then they are usually portrayed?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AtPhantom
    @DarkKnight96000 said:
    " Another question given what the New Gods are, shouldn't they be more powerfull then they are usually portrayed? "
    Indeed. This is generally due to the writers of the late nineties and early 2000ths using various New Gods as foils for Superman without thought and care about their actual powers. Other writers (notably Grant Morrison and John Ostrander) have portrayed them as a powerful force with abilities far beyond those of Earthly superheroes and many cosmics too.
    darkknight96000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darkknight96000
    @AtPhantom:
    So in the DC/Marvel cross over The Hunger, Orion and Darkseid should have easily won against the Surfer and Galactus?
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AtPhantom
    @DarkKnight96000 said:
    " @AtPhantom: So in the DC/Marvel cross over The Hunger, Orion and Darkseid should have easily won against the Surfer and Galactus? "
    No, keep in mind that Galactus himself is a considerably powerful cosmic entity. The trouble with New Gods is that so many writers have portrayed them differently. Based on how they were written in that time, the Hunger was pretty accurate book. Darkseid from final crisis is portrayed as far more powerful, but I would still say he's beneath Galactus.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By King_Saturn
    @AtPhantom said:
    " It varies. Devilance from 52 seemed to be in the general range as Galactus. Supergirl once traveled to Apokolips without a boom tube and she was pretty much the size of Darkseid's finger, which should put them a bit above Galactus.  On the other hand, in New Gods vol three, S'ivaa tears a hole between the fourth world and our universe, and New Gods were big enough to be able to hold the Earth in the palms of their hands, putting them far above Galactus, or Celestials, or just about any other corporeal entity in DC or Marvel. "
    interesting... so technically the physical strength of a New God should excel Superman several million times over since technically the strength of the New Gods is measure of them at there human scale size... so if they are several million times larger in size... shouldnt there strength increase at that level as well ? 
    darkknight96000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By darkknight96000
    @AtPhantom:
    What about Orion I can see Darkseid losing to Galactus but Orion losing to the Surfer
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AtPhantom
    @King Saturn said:
    "interesting... so technically the physical strength of a New God should excel Superman several million times over since technically the strength of the New Gods is measure of them at there human scale size... so if they are several million times larger in size... shouldnt there strength increase at that level as well ?  "
    In theory yes. But keep in mind that only few New Gods can actually match Superman in pure strength.

@DarkKnight96000 said:
    " @AtPhantom: What about Orion I can see Darkseid losing galactus but Orion losing to the Surfer "
    I wasn't too crazy about that part either. Keep in mind, however, that both characters have been created by Jack Kirby, who had a knack for making powerful cosmic beings. In that sense, I don't think the Surfer is by definition someone below Orion's level, regardless of how the writers portrayed them over the years.
    darkknight96000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By darkknight96000

Seeing how the New Gods are so many times larger than Humans, Kyrptonians and most other beings for that matter, how is it only a few match or exceed Superman in pure strength?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AtPhantom
    @DarkKnight96000 said:
    " Seeing how the New Gods are so many times larger than humans and Superman himself and most beings for that matter, how is it only a few match or exceed Superman in pure strength? "
    Most New Gods don't have strength much greater than that of normal humans (Mister Miracle, for example, doesn't have any known superstrength at all). When they are in their giant form, this strength remains proportionally same, meaning they would still be weaker than Superman who is trillions of times stronger than a normal human. 
    Another explanation would be that their strength remains the same regardless of their size, meaning they have greater proportionate strength in their small forms than in their real ones.

The reason I'm offering multiple explanation is because not even DC is clear about all the aspects of the New Gods' size, and as such have sent mixed messages from time to time.

There is also the issue of how big they are. I listed three displayed size variations in my earlier post, and we do not know which one is canon. I tend to favor the 52 version, though this is just me.
    Avatar image for spiderfan130666
    SpiderFan130666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way I see it, the gods are that large in their dimension, yet they cannot cross over to Earth without a boom tube because it's on a different plane of existence.

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Interesting didn't know this.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, so that's why Gog was so damn big in Thy Kingdom Come.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.