Who Are The "New" New Avengers?

• 54 results
Posted by G-Man (33960 posts) - - Show Bio

First we had the announcements of who would become an Avenger once the Heroic Age begins. Then we had the guessing game of who the Secret Avengers would be. Looks like there's more Avengers coming. I thought it was a little odd that Marvel would simply cancel some top selling comics. 

Today Marvel has sent over an image of the first reveal for the NEW Avengers. Maybe Tony Stark had a bunch of coffee mugs made with the "New Avengers" logo on it. They must feel that you can't just drop the name. Who is the first member to be revealed? 

I know, you're probably saying, isn't Luke Cage supposed to be leading the Thunderbolts? That's what I thought. Is Luke going to be doing double duty? Will he lead the Thunderbolts as well as be a "New" Avenger? Will the two teams be closely related? Will the Thunderbolts become the New Avengers? Is he going to be walking around with that chain from now on? What's going on, Marvel?
Staff
#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, this is starting to piss me off. There really should only be ONE avenger team. I mean, it was fine after Civil War, that was understandable. But in The Heroic Age, it should go back to the old standard, OF ONE.
#2 Posted by rasx (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Luke Cage like Wolverine now on every team.
#3 Edited by War Killer (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Bendis writing this as well? But this is crazy, what makes this team of Avengers "new?" And why can't they just leave Luke on the Thunderbolts and let him run that team? I'm fine with just one Avengers team, that makes sense and having a secret black ops team working behind the scenes makes since as well...but this? I want to hear the reason for having three teams of Avengers.

#4 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with War Killer, I definitely need a good reason for a New New Avengers Team. I'm a Cage fan, but I don't find myself getting excited about another Avengers title (and there's a 4th that's yet to be revealed according to other interviews).

#5 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

The Fourth is supposed to be the Avengers Academy which will take place of YA and AI.

#6 Posted by Ahmed Sherif (262 posts) - - Show Bio

Great, now we have like what four Avengers title? I thought they said at the beggning they would make only two Avengers title.
#7 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio

<sarcasm>Great. Just what we need, another Avengers title. </sarcasm> 

I thought this Heroic Age stuff was supposed to streamline the Avengers after Dark/Secret/New/Initiative we had for the last few years.

#8 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

how many Avenger groups are there? I cannot keep up.

#9 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this time around, new Avengers should me NEW CHARACTERS! Make up some new people, how hard is it? Seems like Top Cow adds a new character to every title every month. Why can't Marvel make some new people that will be in the limelight at least every 2 years?

#10 Edited by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I'm a bit worried. 
Why couldn't "the biggest change to the Avengers franchise since Disassembled" put an end to the New Avengers book? I was also hoping this Avengers relaunch would lead to less Avengers books written by Bendis. I would rather see him just focus on the "Avengers" book and let other writers write the other books.  Is a relaunch of New Avengers necessary? 

Having 3 teams when the "Avengers Trinity" was broken made sense, but now I think they're just pushing it. I understand Secret Avengers, Steve needs his own team.

#11 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

...I am interested in seeing were this is going.
#12 Posted by KingLoki (390 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just annoying.

#13 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it like the West Coast Avengers. They break up into teams to handle threats in certain areas.
#14 Edited by leokearon (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

Another Avenger team!  There beter be a good reason for all these teams. Alos when is Avengers Academy coming on? 

Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen are doing it
#15 Edited by Shadey (186 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone really expect them to go back to just one team? Really? Esp. after how good the books are selling? I'm excited to see where this goes.
#16 Posted by Secret Identity (223 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok so i was under the impression we would be going back to having one avengers team. I thought that was the point of this whole advertisement scheme? Bring out some core members then hint at some others with the whole "Secret avengers" thing. Now we have "New" as well? lame.

#17 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

It's absorbing Man!

#18 Posted by speedlgt (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a weird opinion on luke cage.....first I kinda have grown to like that character in the new avengers  at the same time I was annoyed at how much bendis pushes him........i mean lets be real its hard to care about luke cage when youhave WOLVERINE SPIDERMAN CAP BARTON and STARK on the team.......non the less he was a cool addition to the team........i was refreshed to see that the Avengers team was not gonna have him or spiderwoman so bendis faves were gone and we could get back to reality................but now hes on another avengers team? I am not feeling that I would have prefered to follow him in his own book alone or with the bolts but i think his time as avenger should be over for now.

#19 Posted by sora_thekey (8173 posts) - - Show Bio

Too much hype... for this! 

Well I guess it's ok.... 
Avengers is replacing Mighty Avengers 
Secret Avengers is replacing Dark Avengers 

and there is no replacement for New Avengers.... just a re-numbering

#20 Posted by Chamoi (36 posts) - - Show Bio

I want Pym in this team. 

#21 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio
@speedlgt: Spider-Woman is on the Avengers team with all the other characters you mentioned.
#22 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope that Luke is the only old New Avenger on the team. I would like to see it as a group of characters that havn't been Avengers yet. Another thing is that if Jessica Jones is on the team, it would be really cool or if it is them along with the Young Avengers.

#23 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

So Bendis gets 2 avengers titles and slott or busiek get none? Ugh

#24 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like the execs at Marvel like Luke cage a lot more than anyone who actually buys the comics.

#25 Posted by Illuminarch (244 posts) - - Show Bio

Terrible. First off, "New" anything is a stupid way to title a team book, unless the next word is "Warriors." Secondly, Luke Cage does not deserve to be any kind of Avenger - even the Great Lakes variety. Finally, there is absolutely no need to continue having a 27 Avengers titles, especially when they're all going to be covering the same geographical area - i.e. New York. At least having a West Coast team made sense, or a European JLA, but they're all going to be palling around New York and involved in different stages of the same stories. Kill Bendis. Or fire him, whichever ;)

#26 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
"

Well I guess it's ok.... 

"

this is what i was figuring. They are putting alot of advertising in to teams already assembled and have on going books. If all their gonna do is change up the cast a lil they could have saved alot of money and just done it with out the advertising
#27 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
" @sora_thekey said:
"

Well I guess it's ok.... 

"
this is what i was figuring. They are putting alot of advertising in to teams already assembled and have on going books. If all their gonna do is change up the cast a lil they could have saved alot of money and just done it with out the advertising "
It is because when these new number #1 books come out they will sell a ton and be a jumping off point for people that may have not been reading Avengers or stopped. Happens all the time.
#28 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

So many Questions,so little time.I really want to see War Machine being part of an Avenger team soon.

#29 Posted by amc26 (222 posts) - - Show Bio
@DMC said:
" Now I'm a bit worried.  Why couldn't "the biggest change to the Avengers franchise since Disassembled" put an end to the New Avengers book? I was also hoping this Avengers relaunch would lead to less Avengers books written by Bendis. I would rather see him just focus on the "Avengers" book and let other writers write the other books.  Is a relaunch of New Avengers necessary?   Having 3 teams when the "Avengers Trinity" was broken made sense, but now I think they're just pushing it. I understand Secret Avengers, Steve needs his own team. "
Wait a minute. Steve is leading the Secret Avengers?
#30 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4799 posts) - - Show Bio

STUPID... New AVENGERS.... RRRRRRRRRRRRR... Why are all the Avenger themed teams ending jus to start all over again...

Mighty A
New A
Dark A
Yung A

are all goin to end... and for me it was to have a THE Avengers team... and thats it... but No
Its THE Avengers... Secret Avengers and NEW Avengers... common son

#31 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Goddammit, now I don't know whether to pick up Avengers, New Avengers, or Secret Avengers!
#32 Posted by strangeling (180 posts) - - Show Bio
@KingLoki said:
" This is just annoying. "
I agree. 

I do like that image though... is it Stuart Immonen?
#33 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

to be honest, I won't be surprised with Deadpool being on the team.......

#34 Edited by VenomMelendez (407 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: 

Why? 

Besides, this is busness first and the multiple Avengers team thing was selling pretty well. Anyway, I'm interested to see where this goes. Hopefully, this team will be more diverse and won't be an all white line up.
#35 Edited by VenomMelendez (407 posts) - - Show Bio
@speedlgt: 

He's fine as an Avenger. If non-powered guys like clint can be an Avenger, so can Luke.   I just hope his boy Danny joins him.
#36 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

That's not Luke Cage. That's Luke Cage Prime
#37 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Luke Cage on two Marvel teams? Does anybody actually care about him?

#38 Posted by Mr. Hamilton (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis does....no one else? anyone?

#39 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke Cage....bleh
#40 Posted by the_orange_crush (79 posts) - - Show Bio

This is getting ridiculous. You announce that you're going to cancel 3 Avengers titles ONLY TO BRING BACK 3 MORE! What's the point of having it be called The New Avengers when there is a primary Avengers team. I like the fact that Luke Cage is on the Thunderbolts, but it is kind of redundant to put him on the Avengers team as well. I don't like the whole concept of "dual membership" or what ever you like to call it. If you're going to put Luke Cage on a team, bring back Heroes for Hire!!!!

#41 Posted by Bats (147 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers are cool and all - but do they really need that many books?
Kinda dilutes the concept.
But I'm sure I'll give each title a shot anyway.

#42 Posted by crimsonspider89 (817 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis had to put Cage on an Avengers team. *sigh* There are so many other African American superheroes he could have chosen. 

Patriot, War machine, Blue Marvel, Falcon, Doctor Voodoo, and so forth.

#43 Posted by speedlgt (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

its all Bendis.........now we really have to consider that while the Avengers and JLA have a roster that changes all the time there are some factors that stay the same mainly that the avengers are the FLAGSHIP team of marvel meaning that you must have all the major players on that team not some C-level heroes that the writer likes and has a man crush on.  Now after civil war all this was fine cause you had a huge rift in the superhero community and it all made sense but now going into the herioc age there should be only ONE FLAGSHIP TEAM one Avengers team and C-level heroes should not be on it. I think luke cage is a good character and bendis writes him just fine however I see no reason for him to continue to be a revolving factor on the avengers. we have already had a nice long run of cage leading the avengers to nothingness and not even knowing he was the leader.....his drama with the wife and baby and while all that was fine to a point I think its run its course. I know i am not the only one looking foward to a avengers team with him nor spiderwoman or any other Bendis c-level hero that steals all the spotlight.

#44 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm happy that there are going to be multiple Avengers teams. Since they are Marvel's flagship team why not have a big roster and different squads? All of the books were selling so the people who thought they were going to get cancelled and not replaced with something else don't really understand the business. The X-Men have had multiple teams and multiple books for ages why shouldn't the Avengers be the same?
#45 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

"new" new avenegers = Oldschool Avengers

#46 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
@Meteorite said:
" Goddammit, now I don't know whether to pick up Avengers, New Avengers, or Secret Avengers! "

#47 Edited by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin:  

#48 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm starting to wonder if the 'New' in 'New Avengers' is gonna stand for New York. Could be the street level team that is dedicated to protecting the city while the regular Avengers are going to be more international while the Secret Avengers will obviously be covert.

#49 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

Really, Luke Cage? A chain? That's the best weapon he could find after 40 years?

#50 Posted by Argentino_18 (955 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the New avengers are going to be more street based fighting more domestic supervillians and the Avengers are going to work more in the cosmic affairs or high ass treats.... 
And the secret are going to be the Black ops...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.