Off My Mind: Which Dark Avenger Will Become A New Avenger?

• 59 results
Posted by G-Man (30645 posts) - - Show Bio
When Marvel announced they were canceling all the Avengers book in preparation for The Heroic Age, we knew there was no way they'd cancel their popular books. As you know, New Avengers will be relaunching with a new issue #1. The question still remains, who are all the New Avengers?

We know that Luke Cage will be on the team even though he's supposed to be leading the new Thunderbolts. Spider-Man will be on the team as well. Wolverine can't be on enough teams so he's still going to be a New Avenger. It makes sense that Jessica Jones will be a New Avenger since her husband is and they've recently talked about her going back to being a superhero. The crazy announcement was that the Thing would be on the team. If we look at the cover image for issue #1 (to the right), it looks like Ms. Marvel will be on the team. The synopsis for the issue brings up an interesting idea.

Find out who the New Avengers are, where they call home (gotta see it to believe it!), which Dark Avenger has joined their ranks, and just who the interdimensional demonic threat to our existence is! These heroes have gathered to take on the threats too dark, too dangerous, and too bizarre for any other team of heroes.  The New Avengers are back!! And Bendis & Immonen are back with the Siege & Secret Invasion colorista Laura Martin!!  You didn't really think Marvel was going to cancel their number one ongoing title did you?  Heck no!!

A Dark Avenger on the New Avengers? It doesn't seem like there's much of a choice. I have to ask if it's that obvious? It won't be Norman. Venom, Bullseye and Moonstone are too evil to be on the team. Sentry is too crazy (and who knows if he'll survive Siege). Ares is dead...for now, but he would be a good choice if he can get better by the time the book rolls out. I don't see Daken on the team, especially if Wolverine is. Who does that leave?

It seems the obvious choice would be Noh-Varr. He's barely been on the Dark Avengers. It doesn't make sense to me that Bendis would bring him onto the Dark Avengers only to have him run off after he and Moonstone hooked up. I would think that Bendis has a bigger plan for him. He has changed his name to Protector (really?) so maybe he wants to do good now. Like I said, he's the obvious choice. But does that mean Bendis will go with the obvious one?

Which Dark Avenger do you think will become a New Avenger?
Staff
#1 Posted by DMC (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

Hit the nail right on the head here, it HAS to be Noh-Varr. And when did he change his name to Protector?

Maybe it could still be the Sentry, if they change him into Marvel Man  (j/k)

#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

My first thought was 'Sentry, d'uh'.  After all, he was an Avenger before being a Dark Avenger and it might give him a chance to 'redeem' himself.  However, I don't think fans care to read about him any more. 

So maybe it really is Noh-Varr??

#3 Posted by DMC (1550 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:  I still like the Sentry and personally hope he's part of the Secret Avengers. As long as someone other than BENDIS is writing him.
#4 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

Aslong as it's not Moonstone, I don't mind. She should be Moonstone again and kick some ass.

#5 Posted by leokearon (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry, Noh Varr or the Ghost of Ares
#6 Posted by simsey (82 posts) - - Show Bio

i know he died like a month or 2 ago but would like to see ares but say its gon be noh varr
#7 Posted by rudorudo (54 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking about this quite a while back  as well- I always saw the new avengers as the "street team" that was characterized by their lack of "cosmic powerhouses" especially right after the Civil War where the Mighty Avengers had the likes of Sentry, Ares, Ms. Marvel and Wonder Man (I suppose you can throw Iron Man in there too) in their lineup - of course now Ms. Marvel's part of the New  Avengers but i still feel that it would be uncharacteristic of the new avengers to have someone like Sentry on the team. Noh-Varr is the most likely candidate I suppose but personally though I think its gonna be Victoria Hand - not an official Dark Avenger but she's got more panel time than Gargan in the comics! xD

#8 Posted by Freddy.Mercurial (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Noh-Var is the far too obvious choice...  i just thought about somethin' the other day regarding the Secret Avengers:  what if they were all mutants, led by Cyclops??? 

#9 Posted by Aerik (68 posts) - - Show Bio
@Freddy.Mercurial said:
" Noh-Var is the far too obvious choice...  i just thought about somethin' the other day regarding the Secret Avengers:  what if they were all mutants, led by Cyclops???  "
oooooo. that's epic
#10 Posted by FrischDVH (598 posts) - - Show Bio

Its Lindy Roberts as the Sentry. Just a thought.
#11 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

idk if it will be for the new avengers but if Ms Hand survives i can see her becoming apart of a hero team
#12 Posted by Freddy.Mercurial (152 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aerik: i mean, think about it!  wouldn't that explain all the secrecy??? 
#13 Posted by TheHood (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure it won't be Moonstone. If I remember correctly, she's been confirmed as a member of the new Thunderbolts (although, with Luke Cage on both teams, who knows?). If I had to guess, it'd be Noh-Varr as they've already set him up as a good guy.

#14 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I still wish they did this with Noh-Varr: 

#15 Posted by Timm (255 posts) - - Show Bio

The sentry is too crazy, it will be captain marv-- i mean protector.

#16 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel bad for the villains somehow, each of these guys are known for beating the crap out of goons and the bad guys will have a massive lynching on the hands of the avengers

Wolverine-spiked punching
Ms.Marvel-energy charged punching
Spiderman-rapid punches
Cage-Steel hard punching
Thing-big fist punching

#17 Posted by sora_thekey (8152 posts) - - Show Bio

When I read that and saw the cover I thought that maybe Carol Danvers wasn't under that mask.... 
In the Ms Marvel series Moonstone became "good" because of a lesson given to her by Carol.... so who knows! 
but you're right Nor-Varr makes more sense!
#18 Posted by danhimself (22286 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
" When I read that and saw the cover I thought that maybe Carol Danvers wasn't under that mask.... In the Ms Marvel series Moonstone became "good" because of a lesson given to her by Carol.... so who knows! but you're right Nor-Varr makes more sense! "
Moonstone is on the Thunderbolts as Moonstone though
#19 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

i want daken on the team !

#20 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

for sure Nor-Varr! and i'm very excited for this, i think he can be a sweet and interesting character. Why is Ms. marvel on new avengers and spider-woman on avengers? It make no sence to me ha ha.

#21 Posted by ArtJoker (521 posts) - - Show Bio

Noh Varr + New Avengers= Like!

#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91118 posts) - - Show Bio

It almost has to be Noh-Varr.They won't put Daken on a team with Wolverine,Moonstone is a Thunderbolt,Bullseye is actually still a criminal,Sentry..well I don't know about Sentry,and I don't think Norman will live through Siege...and Ares is already dead.

#23 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure hope it's Noh-Varr, he's cool as.

#24 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

its gonna be Norman.
#25 Posted by Theansweris42 (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope it's Noh-Varr.  New identity or not, he's a very cool underused character.  

Also the new Avenger's team is lacking a space guy.  Gotta be well rounded.

#26 Edited by Dane (10589 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be cheerful to read Noh-Varr or Ares. Easily the shining stars and most interesting characters to come out of Dark Avengers.

@Bobby X said:

"
I still wish they did this with Noh-Varr: 
    "

oh my god I miss the Avengers when they weren't all political and spastic. Can't heroes just be heroes for awhile?

Noh-Varr as the new Captain Marvel would have been great. It would have a Kyle Rayner on the Justice League feel. He's got the power but not the experience etc.
#27 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

Noh-Varr, ez. if the Annual wasnt an indication.
he wants to be the worlds protector and hero, he'll seek the others
out.

#28 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

if i remember correctly i saw a cover for an upcoming thunderbolts issue and it had moonstone on the cover...along with juggernaut. so it cant be her

#29 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

It better be Noh-Varr!

#30 Posted by SlightConfuse (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Im going to say bullseye is the most likely because he want to keep playing hero.  

Can Nor-varr still be considered a dark avenger after he defected in issue 6

#31 Edited by Clara Mass (7780 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is Victoria Hand

#32 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Clara Mass said:
" My guess is Victoria Hand
"
I'd prefer her as a support character in Avengers Academy.
#33 Posted by Clara Mass (7780 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @Clara Mass said:
"
I'd prefer her as a support character in Avengers Academy. "

The way I see it Daken won't be near is dad, Sentry will be offed in Siege, Ares is gone, Moonstone is with the T-Bolts, Norman is off the wagon, Bullseye is a killer and no way will he be on the team, so that leaves Victoria.  Maybe she will direct the New Avengers on their missions and report to Steve of their accomplishments.
#34 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Clara Mass said:
" @Nobody said:
" @Clara Mass said:
"
The way I see it Daken won't be near is dad, Sentry will be offed in Siege, Ares is gone, Moonstone is with the T-Bolts, Norman is off the wagon, Bullseye is a killer and no way will he be on the team, so that leaves Victoria.  Maybe she will direct the New Avengers on their missions and report to Steve of their accomplishments. "
Or there is Noh-Varr who they have been building up as the Protector of Earth :)
#35 Posted by Dane (10589 posts) - - Show Bio
@Clara Mass said:
" @Nobody said:
" @Clara Mass said:
"
The way I see it Daken won't be near is dad, Sentry will be offed in Siege, Ares is gone, Moonstone is with the T-Bolts, Norman is off the wagon, Bullseye is a killer and no way will he be on the team, so that leaves Victoria.  Maybe she will direct the New Avengers on their missions and report to Steve of their accomplishments. "

Even that obscenely unlikely scenario wouldn't make her a New Avenger. She's not a superhero/villain.
#36 Posted by Clara Mass (7780 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @Clara Mass said:
" @Nobody said:
" @Clara Mass said:
"
Or there is Noh-Varr who they have been building up as the Protector of Earth :) "

For what two seconds ;p I forgot about Nohvy even though he's your icon lol. 
#37 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Clara Mass said:
" @Nobody said:
" @Clara Mass said:
" @Nobody said:
" @Clara Mass said:
"
Or there is Noh-Varr who they have been building up as the Protector of Earth :) "
For what two seconds ;p I forgot about Nohvy even though he's your icon lol.  "
How could you forget about the coolest character to from the 2000's?!
#38 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio
@Clara Mass said:
"
She could be like 'Oracle' but for the Avengers instead. (:
#39 Posted by Clara Mass (7780 posts) - - Show Bio
@AngelFrost: Hopefully she'll be somewhat of an Oracle but I doubt it -_- 

@Nobody: I was excited for the character but when Bendis abandoned the white haired boy...I no longer cared for his build up.  He's a good character but I don't want Bendis handling him.
#40 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Clara Mass:  Me either, but sadly Bendis's version is the best were going to get for now.
#41 Posted by SlightConfuse (105 posts) - - Show Bio
 @Clara Mass said:
"
I feel she is going to be involved with the secret avengers
#42 Posted by jumpstart55 (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

bullseye

#43 Posted by Clara Mass (7780 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @Clara Mass:  Me either, but sadly Bendis's version is the best were going to get for now. "

Was Morrison's take on the character any good?  I've been thinking of picking the mini up but no so sure if its worth the cash
#44 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Clara Mass:  It's the best run Noh-Varr's character has had. I wish he was written that way. I think it was buckshot who described his personality best as a, "Young Namor".
#45 Posted by the_orange_crush (79 posts) - - Show Bio

Victoria Hand or Noh-Varr are the more logical choices. I mean, with the way Noh-Varr's story is going without a solo title, I could see him joining the New Avengers. Victoria Hand could also join with her recent actions in the latest Dark Avengers titles.

#46 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4601 posts) - - Show Bio

i can see Ares joining the team
He died
So... he can come back... soon... i hope

I can see Sentry
Hes crazy
so wouldnt be the 2st time he would be called a New Avenger

and i can see Noh-Varr as the easiest choice

also VEnom
hes too evil
It could be Brock
 he wasnt a dark avenger
so... im jus saying

Hell it can even be Moonstone IMO
How?
Well 1st is that shes goin to be a tbolt
and 2nd is Cage will be a Tbolt and a New Avenger
Why cant Moonstone

#47 Posted by advocatefish (142 posts) - - Show Bio

@DMC it was in Dark Avengers annual.
#48 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio

i wish it was sentry

#49 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Thing on the team?
#50 Posted by Walker696 (984 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly just to throw a serious curve ball in this discussion, has anybody thought about Harry as American Son being in the New Avengers. According to their page he is still technically a member, he has no reason to stay loyal to Osborn and it could create a new hero with lots of potential. I mean like someone said earlier the New Avengers were always a street team, you don't call them when Galactus comes, even the biggest hitters on the team are B-listers (on their own, not when they're in a team, so don't freak with me saying it). This would give Harry a good chance to get an a** load of publicity and a big shot in his fan base. Not to mention it will help pull him away from the whole Dark Reign break down with his father. Harry would not only make waves in the universe, it would be pretty interesting to see his interactions with Spider-man if nothing else, hell I would like to see a short series with the two as partners, but that's just me.

Noh-Varr is to expected and I would much rather see him do his solo thing as a hero before he gets on another team because I haven't seen him do much on his own with no group or army to back him, I'm not putting him down I just want to see him get more stripes alone

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.