Follow

New Avengers

Team » New Avengers appears in 1202 issues.

After a massive breakout at the Raft super-villain prison, Earth's Mightiest Heroes united again to catch the inmates who escaped, some leave, some stay and some are new recruits which ultimately became the New Avengers.

NEW AVENGERS FINALE Concludes Six Year Long Storyline

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

No Caption Provided

Has it really been six years since NEW AVENGERS started? It feels like just yesterday that DISASSEMBLED was running and I was seeing that now-iconic cover of NEW AVENGERS  #1 on display for the first time at the Mondo Marvel panel at Wizard World Chicago ’04. You know the one I’m talking about - - it had the new line up all covered in shadows with a lightning bolt striking behind them. I bring that up because Marvel’s run a preview for the conclusion of the series that’ll be rolling out over the next couple weeks. You’ll recall that the third volume AVENGERS finished with issue #404, but the era itself ended with the AVENGERS FINALE special. Bookending things appropriately, this current volume of NEW AVENGERS will finish with its 64th issue, while its storyline will conclude with a NEW AVENGER FINALE special.

I remember it being such a novel pairing to see Bendis working with the great George Perez on AVENGERS FINALE. Who, oh who, could follow Perez? How about Bryan Hitch? This will certainly be an interesting meeting of the minds, as the preview images below can attest to. Surprisingly, Bendis actually says that, even though he tailored his script to Hitch’s talents, the artist actually extended a number of character-based moments, not just the big money action. He did enough extending that FINALE has actually been upgraded from its original double-sized length (man, it’d be so easy to insert double-entendres there. I’ll leave it up to you).

While the new volume of NEW AVENGERS is right around the corner (NEW NEW AVENGERS? BRAND NEW AVENGERS?), this finale will mark the end of the storyline Bendis started with issue #1. Think about that… HOUSE OF M, CIVIL WAR, WORLD WAR HULK, SECRET INVASION, DARK REIGN and, now, SIEGE have all been part of one big storyline that began in summer 2004. Now that we’re at the tail end of it, what is the assessment of the maniacs in the Comic Vine community? Was it epic?

And, lest I forget, NEW AVENGERS #64 (with art by Mike McKone) comes today, and NEW AVENGERS FINALE comes out in two weeks.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#1  Edited By The_Martian

I love the art! I don't really get why they are ending the series just to start it up again with almost the same roster...

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Chane

@Nobody number 1's sell, doncha know.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Great art, I have the same question as Nobody about why are they ending it just to restart it. The only reason I can figure is to make the "Heroic Age" feel totally new. Which I understand, I don't agree with it, but I do understand. Although how good these final New Avengers look I doubt I'll get them because I just haven't been following the New Avengers or any of the Dark Reign/Siege stuff since the start of Siege.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By King Quisling

Man I've dropped and picked up this title more times than I care to remember. I haven't read any of it since the whole "Who'll be the next Sorcere Supreme" arc. But this issue looks really good. I think I'll pick it up. 

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Slinger

I wish I didn't miss out on the past few months. I followed this book through good times and bad, and it pretty much marked my return to seriously collecting comics.

BaronVonDredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By BaronVonDredd

So, what? Norman did that to his face?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I've picked it up and dropped this series too. But no doubt about it, the Breakout arc was outstanding. the art for these issues looks really good too.
    mightiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By mightiness

I wish they were not restarting this series.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By leokearon
    @Nobody said:
    "I love the art! I don't really get why they are ending the series just to start it up again with almost the same roster... "

It's marketing, more people will buy an issue 1 that an issue 65. Simple as that!
    Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blindside002

As long as I get to see more Ms. Marvel in the reboot I really don't care.
    mrduckluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrduckluck

the furst character i've seen growing up in to many years is danielle

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kid_Zombie

I love new avengers. But I am very happy its ending and starting over. It does feel like everything since disasembled is ending and we are entering a new era. I can get on board with that.

@King Quisling said:

" Man I've dropped and picked up this title more times than I care to remember. I haven't read any of it since the whole "Who'll be the next Sorcere Supreme" arc. But this issue looks really good. I think I'll pick it up.  "

Do it! ha ha the sorcerer supreme arc was very boring, i didn't dig it either, but its gotten awesome again since then.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13  Edited By The_Martian
    @Slinger said:
    " I wish I didn't miss out on the past few months. I followed this book through good times and bad, and it pretty much marked my return to seriously collecting comics. "
    I know, I really started collecting comics at the beginning of this series. Sad to see it go :(
    CrazyAsAFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CrazyAsAFox

Why'd they have to end the series :'(

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By The Jeff

Mike McKone should be the artist on everything

frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By frischdvh

I really liked STuart Immomen as well

swhorl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#17  Edited By swhorl
    @Chane said:
    " @Nobody number 1's sell, doncha know. "
     @leokearon:  
    I'm almost surprised Marvel hasn't gone the Milk & Cheese route with their numbering. 
    xXLukeCageXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By xXLukeCageXx
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#19  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Nobody said:
    " I love the art! I don't really get why they are ending the series just to start it up again with almost the same roster... "
    Agreed, they should just go on with #65...I love Hitch's art as well, he's is one of my, if not #1, favorite artist.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PrinceIMC

Give it 12 to 24 issues then they'll go back to the previous numbering as it approaches 100.

Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Paragon
    @Chane said:
    " @Nobody number 1's sell, doncha know. "
    It's also less intimidating to new readers, who think it'll be a great jumping on point.
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By King Quisling
    @Kid_Zombie: Definite must-read?
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kid_Zombie
    @King Quisling said:
    " @Kid_Zombie: Definite must-read? "
    I would personally ha ha. But I love New Avengers and love all the charcaters on the team. I find that reading most of the avengers books (well Dark and New) you get more of the marvel story, and while Seige is going on you get more of the details during that battle where in Seige they might just skim over it New avengers kinda gives us a closer look. If you dig the new Avengers i would read for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.