More like New Defenders than Avengers

#1 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading the New Avengers since their beginning and really enjoy them. I love the diversity of the team and the use of less used characters. And though I really love this new team, they seem more like Defenders than Avengers. They are mostly street level characters with one or two powerful members that gives them a level of power that allows for them to hold their own against any aggressors. So why not call them Defenders? Like I said before, Marvel is becoming a one trick pony. First multiple Spiderman comics. Then X-men are running rampant. And now Avengers every where. I like Bendis bringing characters to new levels of recognition but why stop there? Marvel could use other teams other than Avengers and X-men. I for one would love to see the Champions and Defenders brought back and placed somewhere other than New York. Champions would be a great west coast team, while the Defenders were made for Chicago. Most of the characters on the Secret and New Avengers were Defenders or Champions at one point or another. I know most feel that these teams have become a sort of stigma for failure for Marvel, but so have Cage, Iron Fist and Moon Knight. All they need is the right attention and creative team.

Champions

Defenders

Defenders #
#2 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Defenders, I thought, were more about powerhouses (Strange/ SS/ Hulk/ Namor) - only later incarnations of the team went for Power Man/etc.

That said, New Avengers is clearly a "brand name" comic, and that's that.

I could see Marvel trying to push the Champions or Defenders in their own books... but remember the Avengers are, more or less, "sanctioned government super heroes"; for the Defenders or Champions to stand out, they'd need to be something else.

Note: I could see a new Champions book taking the place of Herc, especially if they bring Cho in, and focus on it being a "private" super hero team.

Defenders... with Strange on the New Avengers, this seems rather pointless - although "Fear itself: The Deep" has a new group of Defenders, which I think would be interesting to follow.

#3 Posted by bingbangboom (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@labarith: They were working on a new "Champions" book a few years ago after Civil War but Marvel lost the rights or the ability to call it Champions. It was changed into The Order and was a decent comic but nothing came from it. Didn't have a real connection to the original Champions to my knowledge though.

#4 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12401 posts) - - Show Bio

@labarith said:

Defenders, I thought, were more about powerhouses (Strange/ SS/ Hulk/ Namor) - only later incarnations of the team went for Power Man/etc.

I could see Marvel trying to push the Champions or Defenders in their own books... but remember the Avengers are, more or less, "sanctioned government super heroes"; for the Defenders or Champions to stand out, they'd need to be something else.

Note: I could see a new Champions book taking the place of Herc, especially if they bring Cho in, and focus on it being a "private" super hero team.

Defenders... with Strange on the New Avengers, this seems rather pointless - although "Fear itself: The Deep" has a new group of Defenders, which I think would be interesting to follow.

this.

I'm pretty sure the Doc won't be in the NA once the new Defenders book comes out. lets hope Fraction can do it right

#5 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@labarith said:

this.

I'm pretty sure the Doc won't be in the NA once the new Defenders book comes out. lets hope Fraction can do it right

#6 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw that new team. I like Red HSe HUlk and Iron Fist being on the team. I see them as Defenders more than Avengers. As well as everyone on the New Avengers.

#7 Posted by CATPANEXE (9367 posts) - - Show Bio

As I'm sure someone already said, a new Defenders team is on the way, and is the subject of Marvels " Is it in you? " adverts.

#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually felt more of an extremely light Marvel Knights feeling than anything else, but I can definitely see New Defenders in there.

#9 Posted by daredevil21134 (10605 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil should lead New Avengers.......i'd like that

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.