undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Even before Infinity became a thing, Jonathan Hickman had a good thing going with New Avengers. The book was, in addition to juggling extra-dimensional Incursions and the fate of the Infinity Gems, dealing with the fallout of Namor drowning Wakanda while in possession of the Phoenix Force, and dealings were not going well. So as much as I’ve been enjoying Infinity, there was SOME trepidation about this amazing B-plot being relegated to the back-burner, and even forgotten. Jonathan Hickman, in this issue, lets readers know that he doesn’t intend to forget a single moment. The Cull Obsidian, Thanos’ elite five lieutenants, descend upon Earth searching for the one unbroken Infinity Gem: the Gem of Time. While Black Dwarf assails Wakanda with a small army, the Ebony Maw immobilizes and attempts to control Dr. Strange. Meanwhile Supergiant and Corvus Glaive attack the Jean Grey School and Proxima Midnight delivers an ultimatum to Namor. These seemingly disparate threads all certainly serve a greater whole and they call come together in a shocking way by the end of the issue. And don’t think Hickman’s left Black Bolt out of the fun because he has what might be the most important role to fulfill. Like so many issues before, these characters could all feel like they got short-shrift, like they’re being passed over for the sake of plot expediency, but Hickman balances everything perfectly, pacing the book immaculately and never letting the grandiose scope get away from him.

Mike Deodato remains steadfast on art and brings an absolutely amazing vision and tone to the title. He brings a truly unified and fascinating look to the book, whether that be through action or interaction. Deodato uses very earthy colors and keeps the entire look of the book very subdued and grounded, which is why it’s so amazing that it looks as great as it does in a book involving intergalactic invaders. It keeps the book feeling appropriately dark, though never feeling entirely grim. The only real action takes place on the ground in Wakanda and, briefly, in the skies over New York, but it all looks fantastic. Deodato captures the fluid, deadly grace of the Panthers as well as the overwhelming power of the defenses Tony Stark and Reed Richards provide.

The Bad

I have no complaints about this issue. Even if you haven’t been following New Avengers, but are interested in Infinity, you can jump onto this title.

The Verdict

Hickman is officially three-for-three on his Infinity titles. There’s absolutely nothing to dislike here between his incredible pacing and characterization with Deodato’s pitch-perfect panels. Over the last several years, since the very first Annihilation books, Marvel has refocused on their cosmic characters and settings, but they’ve been writing them like more grounded books: characters first, and this issue is one of the best examples of that. The problem with so many cosmic comics, and cosmic media in general, is that it feels detached or removed from real events or consequences, but that’s no longer the case. This issue illustrated that characterization is a number one priority for this upcoming event. Even if you’re sick of Marvel’s giant, world-shattering events, even if this event reverts back to the status quo and doesn’t really change anything, it’s well constructed enough that the titles are, so far, very much worth picking up.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Great review thanks

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels like 2 different people are writing new avengers and avengers. One seems cluttered with too much going on and the other is so clear and beautiful. Either way, awesome issue.

Oh and I really really really dislike namor...

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHat a great book, really enjoyable

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By G_Money_Christmas

I wanted and need to get this because it's the next issue in Infinity but my LCS didn't have this one. It didn't have 7 or 8 either. I don't know what's up.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has been my favorite team title since its release. Has a mature tone with an awesome cast and story.

KingdomCome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KingdomCome

@hawkguy: I find that with "Avengers", Hickman try's too hard to be convoluted. He's self-aware, plays to his reputation. People expect a multitude of plot points from Hickman, some lasting years. However with "Avengers", Hickman seems incapable of hiding such plans, with plot points blatantly establishing others, yet none of them directly impacting the titles characters progression.

On the other hand, with "New Avengers", despite similarly utilising an epic scope, the core characterisation is kept integral to its stories progression, making it a much superior title...

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

Everything Hickman is doing is nothing short of excellent.

Namor? Namor's not dumb. He's got something brewing. It's Black Bolt who worries me. What's Strange up to? UGH! So pumped.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

Great issue.5/5

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read previous issues and was slightly confused but what exactly did black bolt do at the end of the issue?

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This was fun, Infinity has been great so far. Would have liked to see more of the Black Panther-Black Dwarf fight (what, are we beyond gratuitous violence now?), but that's a small thing. I'm probably going to get Inifinty in individual issues and in trade when it comes. Very good so far.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

want to see what the black panther will do now

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By timelord

This book is amazing every month I feel like I have to read 2 or 3 times just to get the full scope of what's going on. If I didn't know any better I would think Avengers and New Avengers are being written by two different writers.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue

Loved the Black Panther and Wakanda parts. I really think its time to kill off Namor

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to read this.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

O wow, I love the pace of this event in all 3 titles, everything is moving along but doesnt feel rushed, I even enjoyed the tie ins !

Nefilim927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Great issue, great review...I got a grasp on everything except whatever that machine Black Bolt's brother built and how it ties into everything

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicbookfan93: he activated the emergency signal used only by the Illuminati

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

These issues are just a breeze to read through. Solid, though. Good story telling. I can't wait for the next one.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy said:

It feels like 2 different people are writing new avengers and avengers. One seems cluttered with too much going on and the other is so clear and beautiful. Either way, awesome issue.

I actually don't blame Namor for his actions at the end. He tried to make peace and was rejected by the queen of Wakanda. He did act vengefully, yeah, but do you blame him?

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience said:

@hawkguy said:

I actually don't blame Namor for his actions at the end. He tried to make peace and was rejected by the queen of Wakanda. He did act vengefully, yeah, but do you blame him?

No but it's stupid of him to do it when the woman clearly says THANOS is coming to town... Does he really think they'll have mercy on him? If he does then Atlantis deserved to burn.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy said:

@timelordscience said:

@hawkguy said:

No but it's stupid of him to do it when the woman clearly says THANOS is coming to town... Does he really think they'll have mercy on him? If he does then Atlantis deserved to burn.

Burn hahaha

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we start classifying Namor as a villain now, please? He's been a pain in everyone's ass the whole series so far anyway.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This book is never not incredible. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for these huge cosmic events but Hickman has me hook, line, and sinker with what New Avengers is doing. While people might still crave a solo title for Black Panther I don't think he has ever been so badass in recent years as he is in this. I like that they even manage to rope in Maximus for a quick cameo. Fully agree with this review.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Namor just betray the illuminati? WUT. I loved how BP just told Dwarf that he was gonna beat him. I'm still a bit confused in the whole Dr.Strange situation.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Really enjoyed this issue. The fighting sequence wasn't really fleshed out like I'd wanted but good issue. Nice Review!

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rageex2: thank you that's what I thought but I wasn't sure

QuantumVertex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thus far Infinity has read like a grand scale movie and kept me constantly on the edge of my seat wanting more. This is how an event is written! Its the only thing truly worthy of the title event in Marvel this year!

Dernpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dernpool

New Avengers is the best Marvel title to come out in years, and I love the dynamic between the most intelligent, and powerful, characters in that universe, and the moral ambiguity that they struggle with. The art is dramatic, but not over the top, and sets a serious tone, making it all seem believable and real. I hate however, that Marvel constantly jobs out its most powerful characters, like Dr. Strange and Thor, for expediency of story. Dr. Strange constantly monitors numerous dimensions and has an incredible early warning/defensive capacity when he's written to his true power set. You don't walk into the Sanctum Sanctorum without a scratch, no matter what vague cosmic power you have, again, if the character is written to his true power set. The same applies to Reed and Tony Stark, who have also been caught seemingly unawares by the invasion, and have not been able to prevent or defend against the invaders until they were right in their faces. I did like though that T'challah seemingly took Black Dwarf down a notch, and I think this would have been a more interesting and believable story if Marvel's most powerful and intelligent characters weren't made out to look like B-listers, just to raise the stakes and add drama. That said, this is miles better than anything Bendis does and has done, and thank god this is Hickman's, and not his, event!

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TimeLordScience

@hawkguy said:

@timelordscience said:

@hawkguy said:

I didn't interpret it as Namor trusting the woman of the Black Order. He's just using Thanos's army to devastate Wakanda out of revenge. He could probably care less about Thanos's arrival with how much red he's seeing.

smcienrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

great book. Great read. At the end, had to "study" the characters names and attributes of the Cull Obsidian like I did when I was a kid.

Lots of fun. Wish the book started earlier in the summer, like Infinity Gauntlet did, but that is a small complaint for a great ride!

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue! Hickman hasn't disappointed me yet, although I wish the Black Panther/ Black Dwarf fight was shown on panel ( to further illustrate how really badass BP is) the fact he sent them packing says it all. Namor is either a great actor or the A hole I always knew him to be, can't wait for the next issue.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue

Loved the Black Panther and Wakanda parts. I really think its time to kill off Namor

Never!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.