sleepbutnodream15's New Avengers #28 - Breakout from the X-Brig review

Pretty Solid

I'm just gonna start out by saying that I LOVE Mike Deodato's art. In my opinion, he's the best artist in Marvel, hands down. Just his work in this series makes picking it up worth it.

I thought the story overall was good. Not amazing, but good. It's almost like a one-shot because it was just showing us readers what happens to all the prisoners that the X-Men capture. Not too much story development. Anyway, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman, and Hawkeye end up breaking out of their cells and have some of the mutants on their trail. The usual stuff. However something strange happens near the end issue: Phoenix empowered Colossus comes to stop them and Luke Cage is able to hold his own against him. In fact, it was a completely one-sided affair. Then, Jessica and Clint run into Cyclops and Emma, and again, these two Avengers are able to easily handle them. It didn't make any sense to me. Three Phoenix empowered mutants were taken down that easily? At first I thought that it was just attributed to poor writing and the writer underestimating the power of the phoenix force (not that I know any better than the writers at Marvel). However, it turned out that I was the one who underestimated the writers because

Jessica, Clint, and Luke never actually escaped their cells. In fact they may not have even been in cells to begin with. Danger had put them in some sort of virtual reality where they would continuously play through the same scenario of breaking themselves out of the prison.

I really liked that twist at the end. It just proved how smart Cyclops and the Phoenix 5 really are. Not only are they now physically powerful, but they've also gotten a lot smarter. Solid tie-in.