Follow

Nemesis

Character » Nemesis appears in 23 issues.

The most intelligent man in the world as well as the only super villian, Nemesis has one simple goal; Make the lives of the best cops a hellish nightmare.

Unscripted: Nemesis #1

• 93 results
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Grendel

Super-genius anti-batman crying about a stolen childhood.

I don’t know exactly what the exact reasoning was for the fallout between Morrison and Millar but I know it involved him ripping something of Grant’s off.

I hope he’s still holding a grudge because this is a blatant Prometheus ripoff.

brewski420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By brewski420

eh. i thought this comic sucked. waste of 2.99. i was highly disappointed
    hellfiregod529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hellfiregod529

That one dude they were talking about looked like viggo mortenson to me.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By goldenkey
    @Grendel said:

Super-genius anti-batman crying about a stolen childhood.

I don’t know exactly what the exact reasoning was for the fallout between Morrison and Millar but I know it involved him ripping something of Grant’s off.

I hope he’s still holding a grudge because this is a blatant Prometheus ripoff.

"

I'll take Millar over Morrison any day
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By zombietag

i wish people could push the envelope without so much profanity and gore. that would be harder. and more respectable. i mean anybody can throw a bunch of red on the page with a ton of F words. gets old

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By thatlad

"Makes Kick Ass look like s*#t!" 

Yeah great marketing, call the comic that's currently a movie sh*#t 

Haven't read this, was waiting on the review as the hype never drew me in. Review hasn't convinced me to buy it

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#8  Edited By lostlantern13

Babs, you're so biased!!!!!!  

Just kidding :) 

I actually had a lot of the same opinions about it that Babs had. It's really just not my kind of comic so I don't think I'll be back for issue #2 unless the reviews give it high marks.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I got this since it was recommended by my comic shop guy. It just seemed like it was put together for just shock factor. I feel like no story was developed at all. The art didn't catch my eye either. Am I supposed to like Nemesis or am I supposed to be on the good guy's side? I can't like a character like this. 

I've read an issue of the Boys and didn't like it. I never read Kick Ass for the same reasons. They just try too hard with these 'adult' comics.  There are other comics out there that are for mature readers that don't try to shove the profanity and violence down your throat like this.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By sora_thekey

Haven't read it.... 
    Haven't gone to the comic book store in a week!
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#11  Edited By thatlad

Loved this review, really showcased two different opinions. Good points made by both parties, didn't give me any idea of whether I should buy the comic but was entertaining to say the least.  

Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Bobby X

I'm not the biggest Millar fan, but I liked it.

Well, I like where it's going I should say...
    It's a setup for the showdown between this super-terrorist and this BEYOND perfect super-overachiever cop with no powers. I'm interested actually and McNiven's art alone is worth the price of admission to me.

Sometimes I do find myself wondering what Millar did with all that genius he put into Red Son...guess he used it up there.

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Crazy Pan

I'm with you 100% Babs. I would've rated it 2 out of 5 because the art is pretty but I'm utterly horrified at how much stuff he ripped off. I do not like Millar. Yes, I hold a grudge against him for blatantly ripping crap off. I don't think he wears white to mock heroes. I think they put him in white because they wanted him to be Batman but opposite.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I loved Ultimates 1 and 2, and Old Man Logan. I haven't read this yet, but gore doesn't really bother me since when a guy gets hit by a train it's messy, but the language...I hear enough of that trash at school.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Before watching this. I can already tell this should be an interesting discussion.

I was able to guess Babs' rating spot on before it was given, but I was way off on G-Man's. I thought he was going to say 3.5.

Looking at the cover I keep thinking, "Who's driving?".

Dipping into that side conversation. I prefer not knowing where the Joker came from. One of the touches I loved about the Dark Knight movie was when Heath Ledger would tell the story about his scars, but change the story each time. The Joker is insane, but he's also very intelligent. Which is part of what makes him so dangerous.
    Though I disagree with Babs to an extent. I don't need to know for sure what motivates every character and their past. It may be helpful at times. Sometimes the mystery is far better then knowing. Though a first issue should give you a better understanding of the main character.It's the whole 'man of mystery" angle.

Wow, that plane scene is ridiculous. Knowing the average speed of a commercial air liner. Adding in that giant cape and the drag that would create. He couldn't walk along the wing. Let alone stand on the nose.
    So, Nemesis is a Gremlin?? Nice Twilight Zone reference. Though, my favorite was the one where a man found himself back in time before Lincoln was assassinated and tried to stop it. He even ran into Booth, but didn't know who he was.

Though I disagree with Babs on that one topic. After watching the review and seeing the points that were discussed. I'm far more leaning toward Babs' review.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16  Edited By No_Name_
    @Bobby X said:
     Sometimes I do find myself wondering what Millar did with all that genius he put into Red Son...guess he used it up there. "
    You know, it's rumored that he had a lot of help on that from a certain writer *COUGHGrantMorrisonCOUGH*
    skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By skaarason

instead of this i would rather have old man logan 2 !!!!!

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Grendel
    @goldenkey:  "I'll take Millar over Morrison any day"

Like saying you prefer the Go-Bots to the Transformers.
    KrisCarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By KrisCarter

I have to take your taste into question here. I think you don't like Millar just to be contrary. It is hip to dislike what is popular after all.

thehood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thehood

Babs is completely off base! She is biased and the worst internet review of all time! 

Actually, I haven't read it and have no idea what to think.

G-Man's comments did make me fairly interested though. Maybe if my comic shop still has a copy on Wednesday I'll pick it up.

Branagin77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By Branagin77

I think Babs is just being Bias!
    By the way I met Mark Millar and he's a super nice guy and he has such a cool accent. How could you mess with his pot of Gold like that...BABSITO..

Crymsun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Crymsun

I didn't care for Kick-Ass or this.  After sampling both, I've decided I just don't like his style.  It's all shock and no substance.  If I want to read a Mature title, I'll stick with Fables and The Unwritten.  So I'm agreeing with Babs on this one.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @TheHood said:
    " Babs is completely off base! She is biased and the worst internet review of all time! "
    Was that hyperbole??
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#24  Edited By No_Name_
    @kriscarter said:

" I have to take your taste into question here. I think you don't like Millar just to be contrary. It is hip to dislike what is popular after all. "

He wrote RED SON which is one of my favorite Superman stories of all time. I simply don't like the gratuitous nature of the book. It read like "I'm shocking for the sake of being shocking." If I want shocking I'll read 'The Boys.' At least there the writing is good. Please don't challenge my integrity as a reviewer.
    Krebstar 3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Krebstar 3000

I should have looked passed the "Hype Machine" that is Mark Millar, but the truth is I truly loved Superman: Red Son & Kick-Ass so I gave it a chance. Personally, the expectations I had for this comic were not met. Yes, in true Mark Millar fashion it was a bloody romp through an urban landscape, but I was looking for something a little more, out of the box?

- I do agree with Babs on a couple of things. One of them being that I could have used a little more meat on my bone (referring to a back story for Nemesis). However, G-Man makes a good point of this just being one of those open ended, use your imagination, first issues. (Kind of similar to Frank Miller's "Hard Boiled", except it was really good!)

- I disagree on the whole steeling panels accusation. Example: Quentin Tarantino pays homage to cult movies and other directors by using very similar if not the same techniques, but he makes it his own (sorry a bit contradicting). (Another example would be the sample of hip-hop/ rap music but I DIGRESS!)

My rating: 3.0. Entertaining! but falls way short of being the next big thing! P.S, I bet Hit Girl could kick the Sh!T out of Nemesis!

Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By hero vs. villian

AGHHHHHHHHH, this book was frustrating. McNiven's artwork was weak compared to OML. And Mark Millar writes comics like a 15-year-old sociopath. .5 out of 5 is my rating

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Mbecks14

Being graphic and violent for the sake of being so shockingly graphic and violent is getting old and sad. why doesn't Millar just write a story about a whole bunch of corpses? And yeah if you read justice league or xmen you wont see stuff like Nemesis, but if you read Punisher you will. the batman/joker thing is unique, but the gorey brutal superhero/villain thing isn't

i'm exaggerating my point a bit here. but i agree with Babs

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Millar maybe crazy violent and have profanity on every page but at least his storys make sense. 
    Any one rememebr final night? Any one understand final night?

Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheSavageAssasin

Haha...I loved this...It's obviously hit or miss...Either you love it or you hate.Also most people that don't like it seems don't like Millar while the ones that love it love Millar....Like me...I loved Kick-Ass and some other things he has done...

Avatar image for ninjasquirrel01
    ninjasquirrel01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ninjasquirrel01

I like Millar, but this book just looks really bad.

Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheSavageAssasin

But i can't stand the all-white costume...Pisses me off...

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Scourge

I'm still going to pick this up later. I loved Millar's work on Wanted and Kick-@ss, hopefully, I will like this too.

thehood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thehood
    @FoxxFireArt: 
    LOL, yes, I'm kidding. Like I said, I haven't even read the book.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @TheHood: 
    I asked, because sarcasm doesn't translate well in text form. I thought it was best to ask in place of reacting.

From reading some of the comments she's catching some heat. It's one thing to disagree, but it's over the line to question a person's taste, fandom, and integrity. You like what you like, and that's the positive thing about these duel reviews. You are getting more then one person's viewpoint. They were night and day on this one.

Even if you like Millar. It doesn't discount that Babs was brining up valid points about this comic.
    darth bul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By darth bul

good book
    glforthewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By glforthewin
    @skaarason said:
    " instead of this i would rather have old man logan 2 !!!!! "
    hungup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hungup

I thought it was a great action packed start to a new comic series. But I do hope we get a little more of an origin story over the next couple of issues so we can find out his reasoning for everything he does. 

MonicleMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MonicleMonkey

I like MIllar's work when he is writing for other heroes (like Superman red son, civil war, and old man logan) but in terms of his own creations I have yet to be very impressed. 

I read Kick-Ass, it was ok I thought, but nothing Ground Breaking or truly Kickass like the hype made it up to be. I dont think its necessarily a bad thing that Millar took some scenes/ panels from other works. If we disregarded every peace of work that does that same thing then we would have very little material to read and like someone else said, paying homage isnt necessarily a bad thing.  

Millar is no Ennis, or no Morrison for that matter, but I will still check this out just to form my own opinion, good review otherwise guys, I like the different points of view

folax523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By folax523

For the V for Vendetta scene and the plane movie, i got it as intertextuality. I mean, look at Kick-Ass and Old Man Logan, they're full of it. And so is Nemesis. I don't think it's mere copy or a rip-off. I'm a fan of Millar work and all, but there's a lot of that in comics and in many other media. Getting all this stuff that reminds of other story, wether you get them or not, adds to the story. Take for example the first sequence in Japan. Without all that background from The Dark Night movie, it wouldn't have had that much of an impact. And i'm not sure about that one, but wasn't the train crash part of Batman Begins? There's a lot more to it. And, for me, knowing how to use intertexuality is a big part of the imagination process.  

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

liked it. wasnt over the top but i want to see where it goes.
    this was obviously just the intro. also very obvious that M
    is putting it out in storyboard format since thats what Hollywood
    is looking for. 
    4 out of 5 here. just for this issue, we'll see when the series wraps up.
    the story structure is definatly there.

thehood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By thehood

So, I really like these dual reviews, but I kinda miss the old way of doing things. There isn't much of a chance for G-Man's voices in these new reviews! I'm not saying we should stop the dual reviews, because they're great, but would it be possible to have a couple solo ones here and there?

Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Bobby X
    @Babs said:
    " @Bobby X said:
     Sometimes I do find myself wondering what Millar did with all that genius he put into Red Son...guess he used it up there. "
    You know, it's rumored that he had a lot of help on that from a certain writer *COUGHGrantMorrisonCOUGH* "
    Real subtle Babs haha, but yeah that would make a whole lot of sense...certain concepts in that glorious book just SCREAM Grant Morrison.
    Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By Bergquist
    @Babs: 
    did u read his F4 book s from 554-569 
    or his ult f4 or xman 

how can u not like old man logan

i liked the book its a 4 out of 5 

its only 2.99  

there was not that  much blood and gore in the frist kick ass

he looks like moon knight  

Avatar image for mathematicscore
    mathematicscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mathematicscore

G-man is definitely crazy.  Millar is trying a bit too hard, and Babs, you're dead on about V for Vendetta.  Beyond the Batman/Joker thing, there's V, Ozymandias, Prometheus, Midnighter... it's just not all that ground breaking.  I've liked a lot of Millar's stuff, but the last few things I've read have been weak in a lot of ways.  Millar should lose some of the ego and work a bit more on his craft.

MorlockMartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MorlockMartyr
    @TheHood said:
    "So, I really like these dual reviews, but I kinda miss the old way of doing things. There isn't much of a chance for G-Man's voices in these new reviews! I'm not saying we should stop the dual reviews, because they're great, but would it be possible to have a couple solo ones here and there? "

I love the dual/duel reviews. They're like a conversation, a dialogue. Now how bout some threesome action? Red LAMP? Pinchuk? Special guest? Then again, maybe three's a crowd. 
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mattydeNero

Haha...I haven't even watched this video yet.  It's $2.99 from Millar and McNieven, and a first issue.  Now that right there -- along with Millar and JRJR's KICK-ASS #1 when it came out -- was totally the reasoning behind purchasing NEMESIS #1.   Did Kick-Ass shock?  Yes.  Was that the point?  Yes.  So when the cover reads in quotes: "This makes Kick-Ass look like ####!", you have to expect what's coming.

--[watching video]-- 

This is issue 1.  Why all the fuss?  You're both asking "why?" a whole lot.  Babs seems to be mad at comic books on the regular lately.  Read issue two, it'll be okay.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DH69

found it boring just like kick-ass. and wtf why is it alright to show a guy get ripped apart by a train yet not show nudity or actual swearing?

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By greenenvy

G-man is 100% right of what he said and Babs is still right for her side as well but she  just needs to keep giving it a chance thats all hang in there Babs. I loved this and its my first Miller book actually and I know there are other ideas like this where there is a an evil twin but you know what I happen to like this version the most for me. He is my new favorite villain if you guys want to know how much I like it and it's just a small series anyway for me rather than major events for once too. Part joker part batman in pitch white, smart but deadly with a professional human cop as the real life hero of the story that can exist along with a  bad guy  that can also exist as well then I am sold. 

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Maybe the drew the Chief to look like an older Daniel Craig because they are thinking that when this becomes a movie they want Daniel Craig as the Chief, and he might be older by that time.
     I have not been a fan of Old Man Logan, Wanted, and a few other Mark Miller comics, but that isn't to say that I am not a fan of his or think he is a bad writer.  I just have reasons for not reading them.  I don't like excessive violence and blood, and creepiness.  Which bums me out because I really like the art in it by McNiven.  I do like his Ultimates stuff, sort of.
    But is that why you, Babs, are not a fan of those comics she mentioned?
    I did love watching the review, hilarious.

ElJuano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By ElJuano

I'm not knocking Millar but many of his works are rooted in other great classics, He by no means sucks but this one smelled too familiar in some parts... like I've read or seen this before. which to me at least, cheapens his work. It is no longer original and classic, it boils down to is a "homage" of scenes, panels if you will that look like and feel recycled, used and ultimately I'm more interested  in figuring out where i've seen that image before instead of reading the story. I'd give it a 3 out of 5 but there was some very great art that for me at least made it worth while.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.