Follow

Neil Gaiman

Person » Neil Gaiman is credited in 891 issues.

Neil Gaiman is an acclaimed English writer, best known for writing the legendary Sandman series and numerous award-winning novels. His seminal works include American Gods, Good Omens, and The Graveyard Book.

Gaiman Discusses "Sandman" 20th Anniversay Fall Through

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

I know that for many of you, Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman " is considered to you to be one of the greatest graphic novels in your collection. I know that for me, Gaiman's "Sandman" series is some of the greatest work of fiction I have personally ever read. You can only imagine how excited I was when I heard

that he wanted to team up with DC comics to release a 20th anniversary special edition which would have consisted of a brand new tale based on the series and it's characters. Unfortunately, the prospect of seeing this come to life seems somewhat slim. In an interview with Jam! Showbiz , Neil talks about why the deal for a new Sandman book fell through.

"I wanted to do a 20th anniversary story and it broke mostly because DC Comics would have loved me to do a 20th anniversary story at the same terms that were agreed upon in 1987 when I was a 26-year-old unknown,...And my thought was, 'You know what guys, it really doesn't work like that.' I wasn't going to do a deal at the same terms we had in 1987 and they were not willing to do any better than that."

This is somewhat sad news for Sandman fans, I am sure. Fear not, though! In the same interview, Gaiman talks about Sandman coming to the big screen!

"I think it's probably some kid, who right now is around 26-years-old," he said. "He may or may not have directed his first movie, but he loves Sandman and he has the same amount of dedication to the material that (director) Peter Jackson had to Lord of the Rings and Sam Rami had to Spider-Man. It's somebody who knows that there's this thing they love and they have a responsibility to the world get it right and not f--- it up.

What do you guys think about all of this? Are you disappointed about the fact that there may not be a new Sandman story? Are you looking forward to the possiblity of a Sandman film adaptation?

D-MANN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By D-MANN

The Sandman stories are my favorite an greatest treasures in my collection. If Neil the MAN cant to do another story without the same team I accept this.

BUT I WANT MORE SANDMAN!!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O

During the 90's, I read primarily Dark Horse, some Image, and some DC/Vertigo I read, including a few issues of Sandman.  It was quite different and I enjoyed the issues that I did read.  I wonder how a movie would be adapted to the movie screen? 

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dondasch

Oh, please God no.  Anyone and everyone who loved, loves or will ever come to love the Sandman in all its intricacies should stand up immediately against a Sandman movie.  There is simply no way for the true essence of the books to be properly transformed onto the screen.  We cannot trust anyone not to screw it up. 

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LastSon1027

DC needs to get their shit together.

D-MANN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By D-MANN
    @aztek the lost said:
    " I was going to give DC the atomic finger for not striking a deal (as if they won't make a lot of money off of a 20th anniversary tale anyways) but than I remembered I'm a moderator...but I'm giving it to them whether I can post it or notalso, I read that Sandman movie thing a while back and I just don't see it as a comic that translates onto the big screen, it is definitely one of the greatest comics ever published but that is it's perfect medium already...a film could be cool but not as good as the comic IMO "
    Agreed, i think bringing it to the big screen could either screw it up or make it that more awesome. I can see Neil not settling for anything but the best, so the movie COULD possibly be the greatest comic movie ever done.

But then i could see the movie people royally f@#king him over an saying "Its done our way or no movie at all". So either way im both excited/nervous for a movie deal
    Avatar image for anderson__agent_of_smith
    Anderson: Agent of SMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I haven't read anything other than the first issue they have on the Vertigo website, but that was just an asinine move for DC. Trying to have the same terms with NEIL FREAKIN' GAIMAN that he had when he started? The guy who is now a comic book LEGEND, and is right up there next to Moore, Miller, Eisner, and all those guys? That was syupid enough, but then that's their limit? If I were them, I'd be willing to pay top dollar for something like that, because piles of money are going to come out of it!

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

N o Sandman Movie, Not Now, Not Ever. I shall sick the Corinthian on those who attempt to make it a  film

Met him last month, he signed my copy of Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

The Clock King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The Clock King

There are just too many different threads throughout the sandman series to be able to tie them together into a cohesive film. This next bit is just an opinion, but Sandman feels, to me, like one of those series where you assign a voice/speaking style to the characters. It would be hard for me to get over this in a film version if it didn't mesh with my previously held "voices".

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Media_Master

Coming from someone who hasn't read Sandman, a faithful Sandman movie could bring in new readers!

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Korg
    @Media_Master said:
    " Coming from someone who hasn't read Sandman, a faithful Sandman movie could bring in new readers! "
    The last issue was published in 1996, so those are the only kind of readers there are.

On-topic: This was an incredibly stupid move by DC. I have no hopes for a Sandman movie, as it would inevitably be disappointing in the extreme.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.