Follow

Neil Gaiman

Person » Neil Gaiman is credited in 891 issues.

Neil Gaiman is an acclaimed English writer, best known for writing the legendary Sandman series and numerous award-winning novels. His seminal works include American Gods, Good Omens, and The Graveyard Book.

Gaiman Comments on the Death Movie

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
       Awwww.. and she already put on all that white make-up for her close-up.
     Awwww.. and she already put on all that white make-up for her close-up.

Honestly, out all the comics that've been discussed as potential movies, Neil Gaiman’s SANDMAN spin-off, DEATH: THE HIGH COST OF LIVING, would seem like the easiest option. It’s a concise story, it’s not as  fantasy-heavy as the regular SANDMAN series… and it’s got a premise that anybody, even someone who’d never touch a comic, can grasp. It’d seem like a no-brainer (especially now that the girl's appearing in the main DCU) yet it’s been languishing in development hell for years, now. 

Gaiman finally commented on the status of the project during an interview with Vulture recently...

“We just set it up again at a Warner-related company and everything was all ready... If you had asked me in March of this year about Death, I would have told you that I thought it was pretty definitely dead. And if you’d asked me in April, I would have been thrilled and happy and said, 'No, no, no, it’s absolutely on...' So, whether or not it will come back to life, I don’t know. Death seems amazingly hard to kill."

Interestingly enough, I remember an interview from a while back where Gaiman claimed that not only was a DEATH movie on track, but he was also angling to direct it himself. Considering that he's done pretty much everything else, I suppose it's only a matter of time before he gets behind the camera.  == TEASER ==

He also goes on to say that, back when he was first doing the comic in the early 90s, he had a corporate meeting about the prospect of a DEATH movie wherein he requested that they not make it. The suit he met with commented that he was the only creator to make such a request out of the dozens who’d had similar meetings. The rest always wanted a movie to be made.  I suppose it begs the question of whether DEATH movie is even necessary. If it’s perfectly adequate as a comic, why can’t it just stay that way?  

Then again, I really wouldn't mind seeing some perky young actress get all gothed up for the movie...

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of    HYBRID BASTARDS!  &   UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here   &  here .

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Shouldn't they make a Sandman movie first?

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " Shouldn't they make a Sandman movie first? "
    this
    Buttons85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Buttons85

Love the idea, but scared of the results. Gaiman's waaaay better in the written medium.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Green Skin

Works better as a comic. 

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Pizawle

Would love to see this happen. But only correctly.

Stardust was mostly fantastic.

ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ForbushBug
    @ReverseNegative said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus said:
    this "
    Why? "The High Cost of Living' stands on its own as does the concept of Death personified. It's like wondering why they didn't do a Morbius movie before Blade. Considering how effects heavy a Sandman movie would be, Death would be a less expensive way for Warner Bros to see if there's a movie audience for these characters.

My concern is the studio getting gun-shy over developing the project because of the recent attention teen suicides have gotten. The idea of the main characters being a suicidal young man and the embodiment of death might send some sensitive types with soapboxes into fits without knowing the full story.
    Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Fantasgasmic
    @Son_of_Magnus said:

No. I love Sandman. It wouldn't work as a movie. It wouldn't even work as a series of movies. I would love, however, if Sandman were made into an animated series on a premium cable network (HBO, Showtime, that kinda thing) maybe even a series on AMC (though they'd probably not do animation).
    tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tonis

perky goth actress in a decent story, totally sold :) 
    I'm reluctant to believe that the 'suits' will ever get it totally right in their translations however, the books have one production agenda and the screens have to dilute most of it into more eye candy, but less story as a result.

Should it stay just a comic? Probably, but I'm not one to complain when they burn money on bad translations so long as I don't do so with them. Thankfully vine and screened help me avoid that :)

Krakoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 215

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Krakoa

"If it’s perfectly adequate as a comic, why can’t it just stay that way?" 

Thank you Tom. Comic books are less likely to be accepted as a genuine medium of art if they need to be translated into movies in order to generate interest. No one would look at the Sistine Chapel ceiling and say that it would make a great HBO series, why then have comics become the poster children of the adaptation. I'm not saying they're all bad or that they completely diminish the genre, but I dislike them and needed to rant a bit. 

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Marshal Victory

Wasnt their a rumor that after Supernatural ended the production crew would stay together for a tv Sandman series? 
    If so hope they wold be part of this.Realy this would be the easyest comic to film movie ,low budget even.But knowing hollyweird they would have to put their finger prints on it to make it "filmable"/sigh.
    UnclePappyWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By UnclePappyWolf

Death: I love the original comics!  I for one am okay with a pass on Death as a movie if it doesn't get Neil Gaiman's stamp of approval somehow!

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Silkcuts

I want better Vertigo movies!

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ah my favorite Death story at that, and one of my top Vertigo picks.
    i'm game of course.

in fact it could work in reverse if the movie is well received to garnish 
    a large and very needed budget for a Sandman movie if you do the math.

Planewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Planewalker

It could work probably sell better than Sandman

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eyz

I just hope:
    a) they don't ruin Gaiman's story if this gets made.
    b) Get Death's actress right! Not the "bimbo-of-the-month" hollywood loves to put everywhere! And not too emo-ysh too.. She's a fun character, as far as Sandman stories go.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dondasch
    @ReverseNegative said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus said:
    this "
    Not a chance in hell should they even consider making a Sandman movie
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17  Edited By Dr. Detfink

You don't need the Sandman because it's not the first time the grim reaper has been depicted as a person. 
     What makes the High Cost of Living such a great book is how it's younger audience can relate to the themes of making those moments precious. Death isn't your enemy but as much your friend in life. 

I still have the original t-shirt and in every country I've been in (that would be 17) at least one person would recognize it and give a compliment (many of which became friends over the last 15 years). At the last NYCC, not ONE person. Sad.

bobtv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By bobtv

I'm so in to a movie about this graphic novel, bot done right, of course.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.