Why is Aquaman more popular?

• 96 results
#1 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

i would assume its because of the jl

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's been featured semi-extensively in other media, whereas Namor hasn't.

#3 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause the majority of Namor's past appearances was him in just speedos. Yes, Aquaman was no eye candy either, but at least he was relatively more decent.

And your mention of JL is also true. Especially with Aquaman's exposure in television from Superfriends to DCAU to Smallville.

#4 Posted by Joygirl (20060 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, a lot of the people that actually know Namor (comic readers) despise him.

#5 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

More mainstream exposure. The 70s featured him regularly on the Super Friends(meaning multiple age groups recognize him), and pop culture refers to him for the butt of jokes. Namor and Aquaman were first published, what, a few months apart? Yet Aquaman is much more iconic. Although the general perception of "the useless hero who talks to fish" may be totally wrong, someone who has never read a comic in their life will lean toward Aquaman before Spock in a scaly-speedo. Translate that to actual comic fans: I think people respond the same way due to more prior experience.

Plus, Namor is kind of a d*ck.

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (84956 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Aquaman is more well known, due to the SuperFriends cartoon, and because the fact that Marvel has flip-flopped the Sub-Mariner/Namor from being a hero then a villain then a hero then a villain then a hero enough times to make it utterly impossible for most fans to really care about and become emotionally invested in him.

#7 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

As somebody who can look at this as something of an outsider to both characters (in the sense I only read about either when they crossover into books I care about), I can say the first thing is that Namor makes a horrible first impression. His character design is god awful, he doesnt have a costume that could be called "iconic" at all, and he has stupid wings on his feat, The second thing is his power set, most people think Aquaman's only ability is talking to fish (as seen in Family Guy, etc), but at least they know that. What does anyone know about Namor? And yes, Namor is a jerk, a pompous a$$, and he behaves in a superior way with his royal background, whereas Aquaman has somewhat humble beginnings and is endearing because he is even the put upon guy of the league, he is related to normal people. And the fact that the New 52, and Arthur himself, even directly acknowledges the fact that he is disrespected.

#8 Posted by BlackWind (6747 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor's personality probably wasn't something networks would want to expose younger audiences to. While Aquaman may be wrongly viewed as a joke character, he was featured in a superhero cartoon a lot of people grew up with. Aquaman was one of the big 7, so he stayed remembered, but Namor was fighting Hulk, trying to drown NYC, doing his own thing, hitting on Sue, and just all over the place.

#9 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

because he's cooler

#10 Posted by impossibilly (887 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Geoff Johns doesn't write Namor.

#11 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

because namor is an unlikeable jerk who will hit on your wife or girlfriend. he's above everyone and he's always right. i don't like him at all.

#12 Posted by Teerack (7048 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

it's cause he wears nothing but a speedo

#14 Posted by The Stegman (24983 posts) - - Show Bio
Because Aquaman isn't a D-bag
#15 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman has a bad ass wife, an endearing personality "currently anyway", an all star creative team, and far more pull in the DC universe and by extension all DC media.

Plus his own Domo

#16 Posted by ComicKing7 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

Because He wears pants

#17 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

This question presupposes that Aquaman IS more popular.

@Gambit1024 said:

Because he's been featured semi-extensively in other media, whereas Namor hasn't.

Pretty much this, especially with Superfriends. Aquaman is / has gotten a huge push from DC of late.

The rest of these "reasons" are clearly subjective and biased.

#18 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

simple! namor is D*ck! aquaman ins't!

#19 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

i would assume its because of the jl

Who says that, They don't make jokes about Namor, it's usually about Aquaman, because Namor kick major a**! I like them both but Namor is my pick!

#20 Posted by toptom (1202 posts) - - Show Bio

because he has had a good writer and a good artist.

#21 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

More mainstream exposure. The 70s featured him regularly on the Super Friends(meaning multiple age groups recognize him), and pop culture refers to him for the butt of jokes. Namor and Aquaman were first published, what, a few months apart? Yet Aquaman is much more iconic. Although the general perception of "the useless hero who talks to fish" may be totally wrong, someone who has never read a comic in their life will lean toward Aquaman before Spock in a scaly-speedo. Translate that to actual comic fans: I think people respond the same way due to more prior experience.

Plus, Namor is kind of a d*ck.

Actually, try a few YEARS. Namor's first appearance was in 1939, before Batman. IIRC, Aquaman appeared in 1942 or 1941.

@BlackWind said:

Namor's personality probably wasn't something networks would want to expose younger audiences to. While Aquaman may be wrongly viewed as a joke character, he was featured in a superhero cartoon a lot of people grew up with. Aquaman was one of the big 7, so he stayed remembered, but Namor was fighting Hulk, trying to drown NYC, doing his own thing, hitting on Sue, and just all over the place.

Actually, Namor had a cartoon before Aquaman, also, back in 1966 as part of the Marvel Superhero Hour rotation.

Namor's not 'just all over the place." He's just more complicated than Aquaman's standard do gooder.

#22 Posted by Imperius_Rex (452 posts) - - Show Bio

Because namor is too cool for school. He's been around longer and mainstream media isn't his thing. He's way more established IMO. Aquaman has his own title and is in JL so that's why he's so popular.

#23 Posted by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Aquaman has had a lot more mainstream saturation, Namor hasn't had any. But I say Namor > Aquaman in every possible way, Namor has been an awesome hero since his creation. Aquaman has been a crap character and a joke up until Geoff Johns took over, Namor has been awesome since the beginning...

#24 Posted by SoA (4917 posts) - - Show Bio

geoff john's book for me

#25 Posted by JakeN7 (12737 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

Yeah this. I think he's a major egotistical, arrogant, narcissistic d-bag (who destroyed a whole country.)

Also, his catchphrase annoys the hell out of me. "IMPERIUS REX!" It's like, just shut up please.

#26 Posted by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor is a much more complex and interesting character than Aquaman...plus he's leagues stronger than Aquaman, I think he's a much cooler character. And let's not forget that Aquaman is nothing more than a cheap knock off of Namor the ORIGINAL king of the sea.

#27 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. This turned from 'Why is Aquaman more popular than Namor' to 'How is Namor/Aquaman so much more awesome than the other?' pretty quick.

But everyone else more or less nailed it. Aquaman has had more mainstream exposure with his own book, the Superfriends cartoon, roles in television both animated and live-action (Smallville), and his place in the Justice League. Namor is naturally well-known to the comic-book reading demographic, but to the general public, he hasn't had much going for him save for some animated series and game appearances.

#28 Posted by Amratheking (109 posts) - - Show Bio
@JJ62: This! Aquaman isn't as much of a badass as Namor, but has had much more mainstream exposure. 
#29 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7967 posts) - - Show Bio

Because, kids don't know what the hell a Namor or Sub-Mariner is.

#30 Posted by Darksider555 (407 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

this because I despise him so much and Aquaman is cool now :)

#31 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is more exposed , I wouldn't say popular, perhaps among Dc fans. Namor doesn't play that sh*t, he's hardcore, always. I like both characters though, I just favor Namor.

#32 Posted by Xorion (446 posts) - - Show Bio

because of the fish jokes

#33 Edited by Raw_Material (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

Top 10 Reasonable Answers

1. Aquaman is a mainstream superhero in DC Comics
  2. A founding member of the Justice League
  3. His superhuman feats and ability to summon marine life (an ability the other JLAers don't possess)
  4. His unique culture and heritage
  5. Being able to take on beings far more superior than he is
  6. He is a loyal and undaunted character
  7. And have saved multiple lives
  8. He has one of the most hardworking jobs of them all and thrives more than any other superhero
  9. He also commits and devotes himself to his greater responsibilities
  10. Geoff Johns is writing for him :P

#34 Edited by micahparadise (491 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with @toptom. If Namor gets a good writer and an exceptional artist he would get more recognition. Id like to see my favorite writer Jonathan Hickman and artist oliver coipeil work on a Namor series. Namor is one of my favorite characters. His the regal, arrogant , hot headed personality with his power set, long historical background and undersea kingdom make for great stories under the right team.

#35 Edited by Jaydarocknrolla (90 posts) - - Show Bio

i've always liked namor more. he's a lot like black adam to me. his appearance in blue marvels mini series was one of my fav. moments and his series a few years back with the jae lee covers was pretty awrsome

#36 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor is a douchebag. Despite his supposed "superiority", he constantly fails at being able to decide his allegiance, run his kingdom, protect his kingdom, and at life in general. He constantly hits on married women, and then promptly gets rejected, whereas Aquaman goes home to a smoking hot redhead every night. People give Aquaman crap about his look, and yet Namor wears either a speedo, or an Elvis jacket. Do I even need to continue?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

#37 Posted by Raw_Material (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

Couple reasons: Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis.

#38 Posted by MaccyD (4486 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause Namor hasn't been given his own major title since the 40s...

@raw_material Ant-Man and Wasp were a founding member of the Avengers yet they're regularly forgotten about by Marvel.

#39 Posted by lifeofvibe (3506 posts) - - Show Bio

Simple 5000 buy 2 of the same aquaman comic so it will never get canceled

So f@#$k you namor fans

#40 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7886 posts) - - Show Bio

3. His superhuman feats and ability to summon marine life (what the other JLAers could not do)
  4. His unqiue culture and heritage
  8. He has one of the most hardworking jobs of them all and thrives more than any other superhero

Here;'s the scene that definitely got my heart racing in excitement, as Vulko explains of Aquaman's inner character:

That is a pretty epic 2 pages I have to say.

#41 Edited by CheeseSticks (2517 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe because Aquaman actually has a solo on-going

#42 Posted by Raw_Material (3297 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by cameron83 (7498 posts) - - Show Bio

@raw_material said:

3. His superhuman feats and ability to summon marine life (what the other JLAers could not do)
  4. His unqiue culture and heritage

Here;'s the scene that definitely got my heart racing in excitement, as Vulko explains of Aquaman's inner character:

That is a pretty epic 2 pages I have to say.

perhaps this.

#44 Posted by cameron83 (7498 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe because Aquaman actually has a solo on-going

and this

and Superfriends

#45 Edited by Knightfall225 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is cool

he has his own comic

he is in JL

he was in super friends

he is a ruler of Atlantis

and he is better than Namor

#46 Posted by Black_Claw (3007 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman has had more media exposure and he isn't an asshole.

#47 Posted by Raw_Material (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman has had more media exposure and he isn't an asshole.

#48 Edited by lifeofvibe (3506 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's one reason

1.he makes shiny orange look badass

2.jeoff John's/ Ivan Reid

3.he has a smoking hot wife

there it is

#49 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5119 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is still a joke. After Johns leaves Aqualame will sink back to obscurity.

#50 Posted by lifeofvibe (3506 posts) - - Show Bio

@lone_wolf_and_cub: actually he said in an interview that he was going to do what he did green lantern 7 years and all

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.