Uncanny #8... Did Namor really "Imperius Sex" that squid queen...

#1 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

discuss

ew
#2 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, he did.

#3 Posted by Lvenger (20723 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like he was (puts on shades CSI style) sleeping with the fishes.

#4 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you think? It was left to the imagination so whatever you saw in your sick depraved little mind is what happened until canonically revealed otherwise, so with those words of encouragement I leave you to construct all kinds sick scenarios in that filthy noggin of yours

if you couldn't tell all insults in this comment where completely joking and quiet tongue in cheek. Of course with your dirty mind I'm am quiet sure you were picturing smething else in the slime queens cheek :p

#5 Posted by mervotron (257 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like how Hope was written in that storyline... She seemed way too flirty out of nowhere... I'm sure Namor isn't attractive enough for her to start coming with flirting puns like that...

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33900 posts) - - Show Bio

Gillen is a hack

#7 Posted by mervotron (257 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna agree with that. Hope is what, 16? Yet in Generation Hope she still acts like the strong girl Cable raised her to be, yet in Uncanny X-Men she has the cheesy flirting coming out as if she's Emma all of a sudden...

#8 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Looks like he was (puts on shades CSI style) sleeping with the fishes.

epic.

@mervotron said:

I'm gonna agree with that. Hope is what, 16? Yet in Generation Hope she still acts like the strong girl Cable raised her to be, yet in Uncanny X-Men she has the cheesy flirting coming out as if she's Emma all of a sudden...

I tend to agree here too...

#9 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Hope said it best... "Ick Ick Ick"

#10 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

Tentacles and suction cups, who wouldn't?

#11 Posted by DATNIGGA (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@Theodore: Namor has bein on has being on a roll lately

#12 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

@DATNIGGA: pimp

#13 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

@mervotron said:

I don't like how Hope was written in that storyline... She seemed way too flirty out of nowhere... I'm sure Namor isn't attractive enough for her to start coming with flirting puns like that...

@mervotron said:

You do realize that Gillen wrote Uncanny X-Men AND Generation Hope, right? And please. Namor is sexy. Overtly so. It's clear why Hope takes an interest in an older man who's confident in his own sexuality.

@spiderbat87 said:

Gillen is a hack

Gillen is AWESOME! I'm sorry you don't have the good taste to appreciate his work.

#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92857 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Yes, he did.

Moderator Online
#15 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, yes he did

#16 Posted by hydrabob--defunct (14860 posts) - - Show Bio

What's up with all the women around Namor? First Hope started acting like any other horny teenage girl and then Emma started being the girl that broke up Scott and Jean's marriage even though she hasn't been that lady anymore. This writer just seems to be bias to Namor and for some stupid reasons.

#17 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, it's just ridiculous.  

But calling Emma a squid queen is a bit harsh. 

#18 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

@Theodore said:

discuss

ew

- I was blinded for at least 5 or 6 seconds after seeing this..

#19 Posted by Telcalipoca (959 posts) - - Show Bio

@DATNIGGA said:

@Theodore: Namor has bein on has being on a roll lately

where is this from?

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33900 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rheged said:

@mervotron said:

@mervotron said:

You do realize that Gillen wrote Uncanny X-Men AND Generation Hope, right? And please. Namor is sexy. Overtly so. It's clear why Hope takes an interest in an older man who's confident in his own sexuality.

@spiderbat87 said:

Gillen is a hack

Gillen is AWESOME! I'm sorry you don't have the good taste to appreciate his work.

I have taste and his attempt to write Namor is an utter disgrace 
#21 Posted by DATNIGGA (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@Telcalipoca: Uncanny X Men 010

#22 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@spiderbat87 said:
Gillen is a hack

I have taste and his attempt to write Namor is an utter disgrace

Gillen is one of the best writers at Marvel right now with thoughtful stories and lovely dialog. His Journey Into Mystery is fantastic. His Thor was even better than JMS and puts Fraction's run to shame. His UXM may not be to everyone's liking, but it's well written with plenty of thought behind the stories. He's chosen to focus on the sexy aspect of Namor, which many writers have totally ignored for years, because that is what fits the story he's telling. I'd love for him to explore other sides of Namor -- ruler, fighter, diplomat, environmentalist, divine champion, biracial bridge between worlds to name a few. But he's writting UXM, not a Namor book. Gillen's Namor is witty, erudite, arrogant, bold, compassionate, sexy and fun. His Namor is not some 2-D angry character that just yells Imperius Rex all the time, thank goodness.

@Telcalipoca said:

where is this from?

Uncanny X-Men #10.

@hydrabob said:

What's up with all the women around Namor? First Hope started acting like any other horny teenage girl and then Emma started being the girl that broke up Scott and Jean's marriage even though she hasn't been that lady anymore. This writer just seems to be bias to Namor and for some stupid reasons.

I can't believe I'm having to explain this. Let me use pictures. Woman like Namor because:

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33900 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rheged: No Gillian has made him a 2D bafoon, when Emma Frost had her arm broke off she handed it to Namor and said "hold my arm" and Namor was all "Oh god yes, finally" and she said "not like that you fool" his attempt at writing Namor is complete crap and I have been a fan of Namor for a long time so I'v seen the ups and downs and this is one of the worst

#24 Edited by mervotron (257 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rheged: I was aware of that. As I said it is a massive change of character for her. It was a porr change of pace for her character to make her talk like Emma. If you think that is good writing then that is your own thought.

#25 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Rheged: No Gillian has made him a 2D bafoon, when Emma Frost had her arm broke off she handed it to Namor and said "hold my arm" and Namor was all "Oh god yes, finally" and she said "not like that you fool" his attempt at writing Namor is complete crap and I have been a fan of Namor for a long time so I'v seen the ups and downs and this is one of the worst

I'll admit, the "buffoon tourniquet" scene wasn't my favorite scene of Gillen's Namor. Namor lets the ladies get away with a lot, but I think that crossed the line. But it's definitely not the worst I've seen Namor written. Just last week, Jason Aaron's Namor can't seem to handle Luke Cage IN THE WATER, or earlier when he falls before a Helfire brat with a chemical "water" pistol. Or Rick Remender's cameo in Uncanny X-Force where he's Cyclops errand boy, and intimidated by Dr. Nemesis, of all people. Or Bendis' inarticulate 'whos on first' routine in the last Illuminati gathering in the Avengers (though Bendis has written an awesome Namor previously). Or that nonsense from Chris Yost, where Namor blithely sticks his hand in some unknown sphere in Second Coming because Hank McCoy told him to. Or Hudlin's Namor in Black Panther, who keeps falling for the same stupid dehydrating powder trick amongst other things.

Gillen's Namor is a ton better than those appearances. He does push the envelop of outrageous at times, but Namor's always been larger than life, even amongst other superheroes.

@mervotron said:

@Rheged: I was aware of that. As I said it is a massive change of character for her. It was a porr change of pace for her character to make her talk like Emma. If you think that is good writing then that is your own thought.

If you think Hope sounded like Emma, then, as you say so oddly, your own thought, because that is not what is on the paper. Hope didn't sound at all like Emma, which IS good writing, to give each character their own voice. Hope sounded like an inexperienced teen clumsily attempting to get the attention of an older man. In Uncanny X-Men, she's not the leader, she's not with kids more inexperienced with her. On the Extinction Team, SHE is the one with the least experience, she's the child.

Plus, it was perfectly in character for her, if you remember the scene in Messiah Complex where she's staring at the girly hair brush set, or her attempts to flirt with Velociad. Not to mention, she did the same sort of thing, crushing on Captain America in Escape From the Negative Zone. That's where Namor probably made an impression by visiting her in the hospital to apologize and kiss her hand -- something she's probably never experienced -- and where her attraction probably first bloomed.

So, no, it's not a 'porr' change of pace for the character -- it's a different situation for the character, with the groundwork for her flirtation laid in stories. And bottom line, but I think the professional writer who created the Hope in Generation Hope, and has written the most with her, would understand what is and what is not in character for her, far better than you.

#26 Posted by mervotron (257 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rheged: The flirtation with Velociad was written more like a teenager. I am just merely stating that, in the Namor circumstance, it really does sound out of character and I know that I am not the only one who thinks this as I know a few other people agree with this on this forum and with people I know as well. On a side note it's poor form to try and point out my spelling error, due to me touch-typing, but you seem to be comfortable in your little bubble anyway.

#27 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

@mervotron said:

@Rheged: The flirtation with Velociad was written more like a teenager. I am just merely stating that, in the Namor circumstance, it really does sound out of character and I know that I am not the only one who thinks this as I know a few other people agree with this on this forum and with people I know as well. On a side note it's poor form to try and point out my spelling error, due to me touch-typing, but you seem to be comfortable in your little bubble anyway.

It was written more like a teenager, because Velociad is closer to a teenager. She still sounded like a teenager when she was with Namor -- I mean the whole 'ick ick ick' and her reaction wasn't exactly mature, and certainly NOT what Emma would say.

You call a professional writer, a darn good writer, a hack and you 'support' your opinion with less than impressive writing and by saying your friends all agree with you, but_I_ am the one that is comfortable in my little bubble and in poor form? LOL!

#28 Posted by HellionVulcan (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

Kinda looks like a flee or tick mixed kinda eww as i thought Namor had standards haha .

#29 Posted by RoboShark (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

@HellionVulcan said:

thought Namor had standards haha .

He's a true cocksmith.

#30 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

... Hi, welcome back, breakfast. I missed you.

#31 Posted by SUNMAN (7256 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor likes it tentacle style

#32 Posted by strejda (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's cute :-)

#33 Edited by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet you he knocked it out the park.[×]√

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.