Follow

Namor

Character » Namor appears in 4968 issues.

Namor the Sub-Mariner is the ruler of undersea Atlantis. The offspring of a sea captain and an Atlantean princess, he has been both a hero and a villain to the surface world. Namor is one of Marvel's oldest published characters with his origins in the Golden Age of comics.

Sounds Like The Sub-Mariner Movie Could Still Happen Someday

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

There's been talk of a Sub-Mariner movie for some time now.  I remember for a while, David Boreanaz was being considered for the role (I'm not sure how that would've been).  Frosty over at Collider talked to director Jonathan Mostow about the project.

Apparently, the rights to the Namor character is currently owned by Universal.  Mostow stated that Universal has continued renewing the rights so they have the option of making the movie.  This would place Namor under in the same situation as the X-Men at Fox or Spider-Man at Sony.  They're not allowed to play with the other heroes unless some fancy legal dancing can be done.  On the other hand, Universal did release Hulk and he has been rumored to appear in the Avengers movie and we did see Tony Stark appear in the Hulk movie.  So it could be possible.  The movie is said to be in "active development" but is being held up by the lack of the right script.

Besides that, the real question is, should a Sub-Mariner movie be made?  While I respect Namor and his history, I have to wonder how a movie based on him would be.  Would the majority of it be spent underwater?  Who would he fight against?  Would the average movie-goer be interested in watching?
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By EisforExtinction

I am overcome with indifference.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By zombietag

enough with comic movies seriously, lets just take a break

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AngelFrost

Mehhh.

There is no possible way to make a movie about a man wearing tiny speedo's and lives underwater  not cheesey. I mean c'mon.

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I love Namor, I think he's criminally underrated, but I'm not sure he could pull off his own film. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a featured character in some Fantastic Four film, but considering how lousy those flicks have been done in the past...a revamp would probably be needed.
    Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
    The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm idk, i dont know much about him...
    I think i could pass on his movie...if he gets one...

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The Psyentist

@MysterioMaximus said:

" I love Namor, but I'm not sure he could pull off his own film. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a featured character in some Fantastic Four film, but considering how lousy those flicks have been done in the past...a revamp would probably be needed. "
    I agree totally. Good idea.

I too love Namor, but I don't think a film of him would make much money...
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By EisforExtinction

I still think that they should make the Aquaman movie they made on Entourage.

Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dex

I Think Namor is capable of holding his own movie but rather than playing a hero I would like to see him as a villain. Capture people and bring them to atlantis and refuse to let them free.........something like that...

Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tmul501

Why does there have to be issues with putting characters like spidey into movies with other marvel characters? Can't they just pay sony for the character rights? I mean, it's publicity for a franchise that they own. It seems like that would be a good idea on their part. Maybe there's something i'm missing...I just want a spider-man cameo in the Avenger's movie.

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @The Psyentist said:
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    " I love Namor, but I'm not sure he could pull off his own film. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a featured character in some Fantastic Four film, but considering how lousy those flicks have been done in the past...a revamp would probably be needed. "
    I agree totally. Good idea. I too love Namor, but I don't think a film of him would make much money... "

Have you noticed that the general water-themed superhero really hasn't been very popular? I do know that back in the 30's the Submariner was a favorite, but that totally died out. Then you’ve got poor Aquaman, the butt of so many jokes. Even I’m not much of a fan…and I can appreciate nearly any superhero caricature. The thing I’ve always liked about Prince Namor is his general ambiguity and general cocky douche-baggery. The guys got balls, and he always keeps it interesting. You never know what side he’ll play.

Drafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Drafta

In a perfect world a movie about an speedo-wearing, winged-heeled, egomaniacal ruler of Atlantis would be good.

:(

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@The Psyentist said:
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    I agree totally. Good idea. I too love Namor, but I don't think a film of him would make much money... "

give him this costume and everything might work out

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By SuperXAsh

I can definately see a GOOD Sub-Mariner movie, they'd undoubtedly have to change his outfit a bit, but other than that... he'd be a pretty cool character to see. Always has been more of a serious concept than Aquaman was, least in the early days, pre-crisis. He's an anti-hero, so if they could get the right script, he'd be more of a "grey area" type of character than most Superhero movies tend to be. Would make for interesting drama and conflicts. Because Namor can be kind of a major dick at times, but also quite heroic and honorable. So it'd be a good formula for a movie, IMHO. As long as they treat it seriously, and not in a mocking manner. 

Just would like to see him, eventually, interact with the other Marvel heroes.
    Fresh0133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14  Edited By Fresh0133

I'm sure Babs will be tickled pink by the news that this movie could still happen. 

I'm kind of bummed that the fact that Universal still has the rights to the movie though since that cuts down on the chances of him appearing in Captain America as one of the original Invaders, which would be super cool, plus it was Namor that inadvertantly frees Steve Rogers from suspended animation, so that takes that part of continuity out of the question. 

As for the actual Namor movie, I think there could be a really good movie made about him, just have a true origin story then pick up when he's got amnesia, either that or go with the Depths, lol.
    Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Adam Michaels

I like Sub-Mariner, and I personally see Boreanaz for the look, but I can't honestly see him right for the role besides that. Anyways, I don't know all about a Sub-Mariner solo film. But what I'd be down right ready for is a reboot of Fantastic Four (closer to the actual comics) and have Namor as the villain.  

I can't help but think it, but did Marvel give the film rights to EVERY ONE OF THEIR CHARACTERS? Even the rights to smaller franchises like Iron Fist was owned by another company (which according to Babs' report, went back to Marvel). Even Luke Cage's rights are with Columbia Pictures/Sony, the same company that owns Spider-Man.  

It's almost as if Marvel prostituted themselves and gave away most of their characters to anyone who was willing to pay for them (which I can understand businesswise since Marvel was in financial peril at the turn of the millenium). But still, it's annoying to have all these franchises be mishandled by the non-comic companies and others never coming to fruition. I just wish Marvel Studios can take over all their properties and make them the right way. Not to mention mix and mash their characters.
    Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Obsurity

I'm sure Babs is over joyed just by the thought
    Rick475069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rick475069

I'm getting tired of these comic book movies. Its like the thing with the reality shows on tv. ENOUGH OF THIS SH*T ALREADY!!!! I hope this movies doesn't get made. It'll be like the old Man From Atlantis series of the 70's. BORING!!!

Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jamiracles

IMPERIUS EFFIN REX! 

Ultimately, who really knew anything about Iron Man until after the movie came out? Its all about the script and the casting with these things.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#19  Edited By sora_thekey

Wait..... Hulk was made by Universal??? 
    I thought it was made by Marvel...
    Avatar image for secret_identity
    Secret Identity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By Secret Identity

Fantastic Four 3 maybe? i think that would be the best way to get namor into a film. He'd fit alot better as the fifth member of that group than in a solo film. 

Now an Aquaman film. That would be cool.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I think Namor would be awesome in his own movie. Only problem I am not sure who he would fight or what the plot would involve. Of course it could have something to do with him being from two different worlds, one side wanting to be accepted by the surface world, the other carrying the burden of leadership of his undersea kingdom.

Although I was really hoping to see him in the Cap movie, even if it was for a quick cameo. Oh well.. someday maybe they'll do an Invaders movie.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmmm...maybe a Hammond Vs Namor movie.

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Meteorite

I'd like to see a Namor movie, he's cool.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DH69

aqua man is getting his own movie? yay =D 

oh wait my mistake i often get those two mixed up because they both suck...
    sandyp3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sandyp3000

Spend the money..... do it right..... or don't do it at all.

whirlwind6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By whirlwind6

This is both great and terrible news.  I would love to see a Sub-mariner movie.  I think if they played up the anti-hero angle, the sci-fi and fantasy elements,  make his origin adequetly pulpish ( Indiana Jones type stuff) like his first apperance was, have plenty of action, and make him a character we can (if not feel for) understand emotionly, than I think we have that summer's Iron Man. 

Now we get to the problem:  Ever since this whole Avengers movie buzz got started,  I've dreamed of an Invaders movie.  I'm sure Marvel would cancel that project the second they thought they wouldn't be able to use Namor. After seeing "Iron Man", I'm conviced that no one could make a movie worthy of the first generation of Super Heroes other than Marvel itself. Of course, tragic as the loss of the one true prince of Atlantis is, it would give us time and space to showcase lesser promoted champion's of the golden age: Aarkus, Blazing Skull, Destroyer, Fin, Thin Man, The Original Angel, Blue Diamond, Jack Frost, and Red Raven.  All characters with great potential that have been crimminaly neglected over the years and are just dying for the kind of major revival and exposure that appereing in a team movie would give them. 

On a side note, someone mentioned that they couldn't think of any good villians for Namor to fight in a solo movie. While a think it may be better in this case to focus on the character, setting, action, and story rather than a major villian, here are some suggestions:  Attuma,  Orka Tiger Shark , and U-Man.    
    infernalsirius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By infernalsirius

Can't explain why, but I feel like there is something interesting there. I  like the character, he's arrogant and all, and tha's a good start for me. No more mister nice guy! Other than that, who's ever seen a movie where most of the action could be under water? No waterworld insinuation please....

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aronmorales

I'd watch.

Avatar image for moonknightfan123
    MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MoonKnightFan123

O_o

Kyle C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Kyle C

It won't happen. He's not well known enough to the general public. Unless he's some kind of supporting character in another movie first...

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Media_Master

Namor could be good, it might just be him being mad at surface dwellers throughout the entire movie

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LastSon1027
    @EisforExtinction said:
    " I am overcome with indifference. "
    Well Put.
    Avatar image for crimsonthunder1
    Crimson Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By Crimson Thunder

I think this would be a good movie. I wonder if it would be after he lost his memory or before?

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By grimreaper1980

zachary quinto, is anyone with me on that

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.