NAMOR'S IN CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER!!!!!

#1 Posted by BaronVonDredd (250 posts) - - Show Bio

But he doesn't have his signature foot wings.

#2 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

links? 
pics?

#3 Posted by gambit987 (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

sorry it is hard to believe because namor is a mutant doesn't fox has the rights for mutants

#4 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4164 posts) - - Show Bio

If this is true it is awesome and thank God for no ankle wings.

@gambit987 said:

" sorry it is hard to believe because namor is a mutant doesn't fox has the rights for mutants "

Fox doesn't own all the mutants... they own the majority of the XMen, but Marvel didn't decide to run with Namor's mutant statis until well after that contract was signed.
#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I need some confirmation. Not that I don't believe youits just that... Well I don't believe you. 

And FOX doesn't have all the mutants, Marvel strangely enough has access to Cable.
#6 Posted by gambit987 (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

well i think he means this interview

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BrentSprecher/news/?a=20633

but he can also mean he wont be in the movie

#7 Posted by XFan616 (123 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor is NOT a mutant. Namor is a hybrid of a human and an atlantean. If that's what it takes to be a mutant then Blade is a mutant! A mutant has an X-Gene. Namor doesn't. I can't find it stated anywhere that he has an X-Gene.

#8 Posted by Hamz (342 posts) - - Show Bio
@XFan616: He is a mutant. Yes he's a human / atlantean hybrid but he's also a mutant. That's the explanation often used for why he has powers far in excess and beyond what is normally possessed by a regular human or atlantean.

I can't count how many times they call him a mutant in this article.
#9 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7702 posts) - - Show Bio

i can do without the wings. i guess.

#10 Posted by XFan616 (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hamz Thanks for showing me lol. Haven't found that before. I still think making him a mutant is really dumb. It's just...argh it frustrates me when they're so lacking in originality and new material that they mess with someone's backstory. and Namor has always seemed a boring character to me so I really don't want him to be a mutant much less an X-Man lol

#11 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@XFan616:  If you knew Namor's backstory, you'd know that he's been an acknowledged mutant since 1964.  What is messing up Namor's backstory is the retcons of Wolverine and Apocalypse and Selene and all the other mutant 'history' that has been written since then.  I've read almost of all of Namor's ongoing books and appearances from the silver age to the present, and find him a wonderfully developed character and anything but boring.  I really don't see how being a mutant or not effects the character at all, but I'll agree, I'm not exactly enamored of him being an X-man.  It's a step down from being the absolute ruler of 3/4s of the planet, IMO.

More on the topic, I hope that limited conversation means Namor will be in the Cap movie, but I too have doubts.  It was something of an ambiguous 'no.'  And Namor should definitely have his wings!
#12 Edited by PowerHerc (82612 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rheged said:

" More on the topic, I hope that limited conversation means Namor will be in the Cap movie, but I too have doubts.  It was something of an ambiguous 'no.'  And Namor should definitely have his wings! " 

As do I.

#13 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen anymore info on the appearances of any Invaders, other than Falsworth, i.e. Union Jack. :(   Has anyone else heard any thing else?

I watched Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, and immediately thought of Namor when the Converses of Hermes appeared.  LOL!  Ankle wings are entirely possible in this day and age.

#14 Posted by jesusjoe (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard the Fox deal was simply for 'characters prominently associated with the x-books' or something like that; if it was just for mutants, they wouldn't get Stryker or Deadpool, which would just be stupid. So that would explain why Namor isn't theirs. The Cable thing has me puzzled though, one would imagine that if they got Deadpool they'd have Cable- unless they asked for the former specifically. Still, I never heard that they didn't have Cable, just that Marvel was shopping around for Cable movie ideas a few years back- perhaps they were just forward thinking to when the rights reverted. 

Not sure how I feel about the hypothetical Namor in Cap though. If it's as campy as the stunt guy snaps suggest it could work, but if it's as serious as the press releases have suggested perhaps not. I love Namor as much as the next guy (unless the next guy is Clint Eastwood, apparently), but I think he fits better into the old Cap stuff than Brubraker's retcons.

#15 Edited by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@jesusjoe:   Namor has never been at Fox, from what I've read.  Universal had the rights for him and have been waffling on making a solo Namor movie for many years now, with various directors attached.  The last was Jonathan Mostow, who surprised everyone last year by saying the movie was in active development.  My own completely biased and personal hope is that was just a ploy of Universal to squeeze more money from Marvel / Disney for the regaining the rights to Namor.  I think Kevin Feige recently said Universal had nothing, which would lead me to believe Marvel HAD gotten the rights back.. hopefully in time to include Namor in the Cap movie.

I'm hoping they aren't going for camp in the Cap movie.  I know when I heard they were doing it, my first thought was that if they set it WW II that would be PERFECT for a Namor cameo, at the very least.  I like the way Brubaker writes Namor, myself.
#16 Posted by jesusjoe (51 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rheged:  Would make sense that all the Universal rights flipped back, since I think Hulk was theirs. Found this page a while ago 
http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-movies-characters-carl-6766/
but it seems based on observation rather than inside information.

Should clarify my thoughts on Brubraker- it's not that I dislike how he writes Namor, I just don't feel that the character fits in well with the espionage theme of his Cap books (and since most of the appearances of Namor in the flashback stories are more cameos acknowledging his presence than full on team-up stories, I think he agrees). So I don't have much of a problem with a cameo in the movie, but I don't think he'd suit a major supporting role of any kind in a serious WW2 Cap. Though I guess if the latter was likely, we would have heard about it before...
#17 Edited by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD news from back in July/August around SDCC.  Johnston confirmed Namor as being with The Invaders in the movie.  The end.  Then again, this is an old thread...so....

Now, the rumor that Black Panther might show up in the flick...that's a bit more interesting...

#18 Posted by jesusjoe (51 posts) - - Show Bio

An old Black Panther in WWII or T'Challa in a modern sequence I wonder?

#19 Posted by Jayso4201 (595 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought they were calling him the 1st mutant for some reason now, why did I think that?
#20 Posted by jesusjoe (51 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jayso4201:  Because they are. He's recently been accepted as being a mutant (not sure if that means he has the 'X' gene, or just by a more general definition), and has been cropping up in a lot of the X-Men books. Just launched his own solo series linked to their current 'Curse of the Mutants' arc called- wait for it- 'Namor - The First Mutant'. I guess they figured he'd have more success marketed as an x-book than he's had in the mainstream Marvel U as of late.
#21 Posted by Jayso4201 (595 posts) - - Show Bio
@jesusjoe:
Thank U, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure.
#22 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

He's chronologically the first mutant, not the oldest.
The first time he's referred to as a mutant is in one of the first issues of X-Men in 1964.
Also his comics has used the tagline first mutant before:

Moderator Online
#23 Posted by darkwolverineUSMC (315 posts) - - Show Bio
@gambit987:
Well Namor just recently joined the X-men in their X-capedes. So, ya know how movies can play off characters. They can make it so he's not even mutant, just half atlantean. Most fans that watch these movies aren't advent comic readers like us, so they wouldn't miss anything.
#24 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187 said:

" OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD news from back in July/August around SDCC.  Johnston confirmed Namor as being with The Invaders in the movie.  The end.  Then again, this is an old thread...so.... Now, the rumor that Black Panther might show up in the flick...that's a bit more interesting... "

If you are referring to this from ComicBook Movies, which is actually responsible for this thread:

Brent Sprecher: Are we going to get to see The Invaders?
Joe Johnston: Oh, yeah!
 Brent Sprecher: : Namor. Is he going to have little wings on his feet?
Joe Johnston: Ah, no.

It's a rather ambiguous statement given in a rushed autograph line, in which Johnston only confirms the Invaders will be in the movie.  And that Johnston has something against wings.  It's not clear exactly WHO Johnston considers an Invader.  The "no" could refer to Namor himself, or to his ankle wings.

Since this is the Namor forum, and I'm a Namor fan, you'll forgive me if I don't find the rumor of Black Panther showing up in the Cap movie more interesting.  In the comics, Namor and Cap have a LONG history in print in many issues, even to the point where Namor is responsible for Cap's return in the Silver Age.  I'm much more interested in seeing that explored, or at least acknowledged.
#25 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@jesusjoe said:
" @Rheged:  Would make sense that all the Universal rights flipped back, since I think Hulk was theirs. Found this page a while ago  http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-movies-characters-carl-6766/ but it seems based on observation rather than inside information.  Should clarify my thoughts on Brubraker- it's not that I dislike how he writes Namor, I just don't feel that the character fits in well with the espionage theme of his Cap books (and since most of the appearances of Namor in the flashback stories are more cameos acknowledging his presence than full on team-up stories, I think he agrees). So I don't have much of a problem with a cameo in the movie, but I don't think he'd suit a major supporting role of any kind in a serious WW2 Cap. Though I guess if the latter was likely, we would have heard about it before... "

Hmmmm.  Hadn't thought of that.  Though, I think Namor is one of the few 'superhero' guest stars that Brubaker has used in his run -- I'm thinking of The Man Without a Face arc.  I can definitely see him being a bit too much for what Brubaker is doing with Cap.  But for a WWII movie, where the enemy is so huge, I don't see it being such a problem. 

But, like you said, it sure seems like we'd have heard something about the casting / inclusion of Torch and Namor by now, so I'm not holding my breath for his inclusion in the film. :(
#26 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll believe it when I see it ;)

#27 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rheged said:  
inclusion of Torch and Namor by now, so I'm not holding my breath for his inclusion in the film. :( "
The Torch won't be in it. Besides the Invaders could function perfectly fie with just Cap, Union Jack, and Namor.
#28 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool:   I'm sure Torch fans will be most disappointed if he isn't there.  Have you seen this confirmed that Namor is in and Torch is not?
#29 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rheged:
No but Torch might confuse the averege movie goer whose only seen the F4 movies and those who have no idea there is a Human Torch other than Johnny Storm.
#30 Posted by jesusjoe (51 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool:  
Could work in Marvels favour though- reclaim the name before they can reclaim the character. Also, have Chris Evans play him too just to really frak with peoples heads...
#31 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool:  There were average movie goers who saw FF?

Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist. :)

@jesusjoe: LOL!  Rumor had it, that Marvel owned the rights to Jim Hammond and the Original Human Torch, even though Fox has Johnny Storm.  Have no idea if that's actually TRUE ...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.