Namor, the first Mutant

#1 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

I have always heard this but don't understand it. I mean Selene, Apocalypse, Mystique, and even wolverine's powers manifested before him. Could someone please explain

#2 Posted by acewasp23 (6087 posts) - - Show Bio

no he was the first mutant comic character that marvel came out with, not the oldest living mutant.

#3 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

oh okay, i had always been confused. It said on Wiki that he was the first modern mutant. That's what confused me.

#4 Posted by Golem (760 posts) - - Show Bio

First in a Marvel Comic

#5 Posted by Maelstrom (4623 posts) - - Show Bio

chameleone says:

"I have always heard this but don't understand it. I mean Selene, Apocalypse, Mystique, and even wolverine's powers manifested before him. Could someone please explain"

There's always been debate about this. But when Marvel refers to Namor as the first Mutant, they don't mean literally as canon. They mean he's the first mutant to have been published by a comic company. Since his comic came out around 1939.

#6 Posted by Jax (7542 posts) - - Show Bio

chameleone says:

"oh okay, i had always been confused. It said on Wiki that he was the first modern mutant. That's what confused me."

Don't ever trust Wiki that seriously some people write dumb stuff on there.

#7 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

Chronologically the first, but who was the second?

#8 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, chronologically Apocalypse would be the first mutant, then Selene, Sinister (though is he a true born mutant, or did he just get his powers from Pocky?), Wolverine, Mystique and Destiny, Namor, Magneto, then Xavier.

I think that's the order.

Though I also protest Namor = Mutant thing, he's an atlantean-human hybrid, not a mutant.
Post Edited:2007-11-29 03:55:49

#9 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

Pania says:

"Actually, chronologically Apocalypse would be the first mutant, then Selene, Sinister (though is he a true born mutant, or did he just get his powers from Pocky?), Wolverine, Mystique and Destiny, Namor, Magneto, then Xavier.I think that's the order.Though I also protest Namor = Mutant thing, he's an atlantean-human hybrid, not a mutant.
Post Edited:2007-11-29 03:55:49"

That's so wrong, Pooky is 'only' about 5000 years old, Saul is older than Apocalypse, and Selene is over 10000 years old. Then you have Azazel who is a couple of thousand years old, Exodus who was born in the 12th century and a load of mutants born around 100-150 years ago who all would be older than Namor, Magneto and Xavier.

Sinister is not a mutant.

#10 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

My bad. That's right, I remember it coming out that Selene was 10,000 years old during the Kulan Gath thing. Thanks for the correct.

And I totally spaced on Exodus.

But I thought Azazel was a demon?
Post Edited:2007-11-29 04:17:24

#11 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Mutant, but he looks evil so they called him a demon.

#12 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

For the record I totally hate Azazel, and him being Nightcrawlers father, but apparently he is a mutant who just happened to look as a demon, and let people believe he was one.

#13 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to fight it when you look like this:

and also happen to be evil.

#14 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

He had the greatest plan: Escape hell and go to earth and make mutant babies who can help him escape hell and go to earth when they grow up.

#15 Posted by the creator (8560 posts) - - Show Bio

Pania says:

"Actually, chronologically Apocalypse would be the first mutant, then Selene, Sinister (though is he a true born mutant, or did he just get his powers from Pocky?), Wolverine, Mystique and Destiny, Namor, Magneto, then Xavier. I think that's the order. Though I also protest Namor = Mutant thing, he's an atlantean-human hybrid, not a mutant.
Post Edited:2007-11-29 03:55:49"

Actually he should be considered a mutant as little wings on the heels that allow people to fly are not an acestral trait of Humans or Atlanteans.

#16 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

Also there are many other hybrids that are still considered mutants. Lifeguard, Adam X and Hybrid to name a few.

#17 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

chameleone says:

"I have always heard this but don't understand it. I mean Selene, Apocalypse, Mystique, and even wolverine's powers manifested before him. Could someone please explain"

#18 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

First AND mightiest

#19 Posted by Midnight Lantern (6011 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Namor is the first Mutant in a comic. Wolverine and Apocalypse are way older then him.

#20 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

Why was this thread resurrected? We already explained it.

#21 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

Ummm wow. I understand :P

#22 Posted by Namor McKenzie (83 posts) - - Show Bio

cuz i wasnt there to see it happen :P

#23 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"He had the greatest plan: Escape hell and go to earth and make mutant babies who can help him escape hell and go to earth when they grow up."

he does not live in Hell he lives in the Brimstone Dimension

also all the demon-looking mutants are referred to as the Neyaphem (such as Azazel and Nightcrawler)

#24 Posted by Thunder God (239 posts) - - Show Bio

THUNDERSTRUCK DA DA YA THUNDERSTRUCK YOU BEEN THUNDERSTRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#25 Posted by Thunder God (239 posts) - - Show Bio

THUNDERSTRUCK DA DA YA THUNDERSTRUCK YOU BEEN THUNDERSTRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

Ummm..... WTF

#27 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that Marvel has called him the "First Mutant" but really isn't just a half breed?

#28 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, not sure why this was brought back though.........

#29 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Me either but the question still remains. Is he even a mutant?

#30 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

He is. His mutant power are his ankle wings, everything else is Atlantean attributes

#31 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio
Chameleone said:
"He is. His mutant power are his ankle wings, everything else is Atlantean attributes"

Ok I'll by that....flight is his mutant power. Is he stronger than the rest of the Atlanteans?
#32 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know..... probably just cuz he's a main character lol

#33 Posted by Thunder God (239 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry about before I had "THUNDERSTRUCK" stuck in my head. But I don't think he's a real mutant I mean does he have the mutant X gene?

#34 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio
Thunder God said:
"Sorry about before I had "THUNDERSTRUCK" stuck in my head. But I don't think he's a real mutant I mean does he have the mutant X gene?"
He does. his power is his ankle wings
#35 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio
Chameleone said:
"He does. his power is his ankle wings"
What Chameleone said, his mutant power is his ankle wings. His other powers are derived from his heritage as an (half) Atlantean. And of course being a hybrid.
#36 Posted by Leonard McKenzie (1 posts) - - Show Bio

He was not born with the wings. Do you have to be born with your mutant powers to be consider a mutant? Namor didn't get his wings until atlas issue 38.

#37 Posted by johnrunion (23 posts) - - Show Bio

in the 70's marvel also stated that  toro was a mutant.

#38 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a little confused why he was stated to be the first mutant in HoM, when Apocalypse exist in that universe.

#39 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@katanalauncher: "First" refers to publication date, I'm pretty sure. Selene and Apoc are both considerably older than Namor.
#40 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@katanalauncher: "First" refers to publication date, I'm pretty sure. Selene and Apoc are both considerably older than Namor.
I was referring to during HoM, where Namor was stated during Kitty's class that he was the first mutant in that universe.
#41 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@katanalauncher said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
I was referring to during HoM, where Namor was stated during Kitty's class that he was the first mutant in that universe.
Ah, my mistake. Sorry.
#42 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@katanalauncher said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
He's the first mutant that was revealed to the public.  He and the original Human Torch are regarded as the first Marvels, the first publicly known superheroes, of the MU.  Apocalypse and Selene may be older, but they are retcons and don't appear in MU PUBLIC history until after their publication date.  So, Namor has been known about since WWII.  Apocalypse and Selene would have been 'discovered' within the last 13 years of the sliding timescale.

#43 Posted by crazywolf (653 posts) - - Show Bio

Another question about Namor being a mutant during the Onslaught story arc. The question has details about the Onslaught: Marvel Universe issue from 1996 which could be spoilers for those who haven't read it yet.

I was wondering is Namor entering Onslaught's energy matrix still canon in Marvel and explained as Namor not being a mutant or Namor being a different type of mutant. Was it possibly retconned out completely and Namor never entered Onslaught's energy matrix?

Here's a synopsis of the last few pages in the conclusion of Onslaught: Marvel Universe. In order to defeat Onslaught and destroy his energy form, the energy needed to be contained in a non-mutant vessel then blasted to bits. A mutant vessel would allow Onslaught to continue the fight.

This led to all the non-mutant heroes entering Onslaught's energy matrix so the remaining heroes, the X-Men, could destory Onslaught. The Avengers went in after Thor, the Thing and the Torch did so (including the Scarlet Witch as well since she used her hex powers to prevent Onslaught from using her mutant form), and Iron Man (teen Tony) carrying an unwilling Dr Doom went after them.

Bruce Banner, separated from the Hulk, went in leaving the Hulk behind in the real world. Then finally Crystal, Mr Fantasic & the Invisible Woman went into Onslaught.

Namor went in alongside the Avengers who can be seen in the image below directly above the Vision.

The X-Men destroyed Onslaught and all these heroes thought dead were instead in another reality. Namor being referred to as a mutant in other books and going into Onslaught seemed more unexplained than inconsistent since there are several possible explanations. Such as he's not actually a mutant, he's a different type of mutant, he's a human/atlantean hybrid/mutation or that part was retconned out completely and Namor never entered Onslaught's energy matrix with the others.

Just wondering.

#44 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting point. I haven't read Onslaught so I'm unfamiliar with this. But this looks like one for Tom B's formspring ... or a No-Prize. ;p

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.