Magic and Science in Namor's Atlantis

#1 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read Invaders Now! #4, which reinforces revelations in Namor the First Mutant concerning the role of magic and science in Atlantean culture.  It appears that Namor has both royal magic users as well as royal scientists working for him!    I'm very much intrigued by this direction, especially with the return of the Serpent Crown in Secret Avengers, and hope that it means Namor will be part of any restoration of the magical side of the Marvel Universe.  So, what do you think?  Namor, Prince of Mages?  Love it or hate it?

#2 Posted by Vorien79 (88 posts) - - Show Bio

I would just hope it isn't actually him weilding any form of magic, and that it's Logomancer or some other character.
#3 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio

Magic is just what people call things that science cannot yet explain. Atlantean culture is different that surface cultures. 

#4 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vorien79 said:
" I would just hope it isn't actually him weilding any form of magic, and that it's Logomancer or some other character. "
Yeah, I'm not so sure I want to see Namor adding magic user to his list of talents.  Though, from the first arc in his new ongoing, and from the Bob Harras / Jae Lee arc, there's something magical about royal blood / being an Atlantean king. 

@LT1085 said:
" Magic is just what people call things that science cannot yet explain. Atlantean culture is different that surface cultures.  "
In the Marvel Universe, I don't think that's the case.  Other than Doom, the super scientists seem to have a hard time with it.  Atlantean culture has the benefit of building off / having access to pre-Catacylsm Atlantis, where supposedly much about magic originated.  The first vampire in the Marvel U was created on pre-Catacylsm Atlantis.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.