Follow

Namor

Character » Namor appears in 4967 issues.

Namor the Sub-Mariner is the ruler of undersea Atlantis. The offspring of a sea captain and an Atlantean princess, he has been both a hero and a villain to the surface world. Namor is one of Marvel's oldest published characters with his origins in the Golden Age of comics.

Is he immortal?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

all the heroes from the forties who made it to modern times in Marvel has some explanation for why there still around except him, Cap was frozen, Nick Fury and Dum dum Dugan have the infinity formula and the original Human Torch was an android, Union Jack is a mantle that gets passed, and those without the don't have things like this are just really old now. The Namor the limit of his intro to the modern marvel universe was he got a shave and a dip in the water and bam same guy from the 40s alive and in his prime, my question is, is he immortal or do Atlanteans age so slowly that 60 to 70 years would make no visible difference?

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Aiden Cross

I think it was mentioned once that he has an extended lifespan, so not immortal. But just age really slowly. It's never explained why to my knowledge, but maybe (speculation time!) it has to do with his healing factor similar to Wolverines? Or it might have something to do that he lives in the cold/freezing water most of his life preserving him? Just guesses from my part.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ReVamp
    @Aiden Cross said:
    I think it was mentioned once that he has an extended lifespan, so not immortal. But just age really slowly. It's never explained why to my knowledge, but maybe (speculation time!) it has to do with his healing factor similar to Wolverines? Or it might have something to do that he lives in the cold/freezing water most of his life preserving him? Just guesses from my part.
    My interpertation in bold.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshmightbe
    @ReVamp: But from the late 40s up to when Johnny Storm found him he was living as an amnesiac bum on dry land so the cold depths of the oceans wouldn't really be a factor
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ReVamp
    @joshmightbe said:
    @ReVamp: But from the late 40s up to when Johnny Storm found him he was living as an amnesiac bum on dry land so the cold depths of the oceans wouldn't really be a factor
    It could actually. Look at it this way, everytime he comes into full contact with the ocean his lifespan goes back to the extensive 1000 years or whatever. If he doesn't, he has myabe 50 years to live. The years a purely made up, but you get the point.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By joshmightbe
    @ReVamp: but he was in the exact same physical condition when Johnny found him as when he fought alongside cap in WW2 
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ReVamp
    @joshmightbe said:
    @ReVamp: but he was in the exact same physical condition when Johnny found him as when he fought alongside cap in WW2 
    So? The symptoms might be different. I mean, you do understand this is purely fan speculation, right?
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By TheCrowbar

He's not immortal, he's just to arrogant to age. Look at Magneto.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joshmightbe
    @ReVamp: yes I know its just speculation @TheCrowbar: Magneto has been deaged through various means 
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @joshmightbe said:
    @ReVamp: yes I know its just speculation @TheCrowbar: Magneto has been deaged through various means 
    All a clever ploy to hide his true method of immortality.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe
    @TheCrowbar: I believe if Magneto could maintain youth through sheer will, he's not the kind of guy who wouldn't mention it
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

bump

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i have no idea....Namor grinds my gears

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe
    @The Stegman: Him being an arrogant prick is aside from the point
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By PowerHerc

Nope, he's not immortal.

He just has and extended lifespan (causing him to age much more slowly than normal humans) which could be related to his unique human/Atlantean/mutant physiology

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshmightbe
    @PowerHerc: that seems logical
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @joshmightbe: well, as others say, i just think its one of his abilities to have extended longevity...however i don't think he'll live forever
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By joshmightbe
    @The Stegman: well they say only the good die young and considering how big of an a$$hole he can be he's guaranteed a long life span 
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Rheged
    @PowerHerc said:

Nope, he's not immortal.

He just has and extended lifespan (causing him to age much more slowly than normal humans) which could be related to his unique human/Atlantean/mutant physiology

Yes.  It's been stated in comics that Atlanteans, and Namor, have an extended lifespan.

U-Man, who was active in WWII and is older than Namor, has also made appearances in the present, and hasn't aged either.  Ditto Warlord Krang, who led the team that dragged the pregnant Princess Fen back to Atlantis after she married Captain McKenzie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.