Favorite Namor Costume

#1 Posted by mighty dude (405 posts) - - Show Bio

What's your favorite? ( please post pics) 

Here is mine. 

Origins of Marvel Comics: X-Men
#2 Edited by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

this one 
for purely hedonistic reasons......  

Marvels - Alex Ross

......and also for nostalgia's sake
#3 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely the green scale trunks.  :)

#4 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

The one after the Green trunks, but before the X-Men uniform

#5 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you have a pic?  Cause there were many costumes between those two.  Most of them a variation of this one:

#6 Posted by mighty dude (405 posts) - - Show Bio

I like these too but not as much. 

Wolverine #45

Earth-1610 Ultimate
#7 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the black suit, but not the Elvis collar.

And yes, I always liked the Ultimate Namor's original costume.

#8 Posted by MzombieX (975 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely any of the Black suit variations based on the design that started in the 70's. 
Wether it's with the Gold wing trim or without. 
The X-Men version is really sharp as well, and still based on that style. 
I also like the Ultimate version with that blend of ancient Greece or maybe Egyptian influence to it.  
In closing, I have to give credit to the guy for simply bein a high rollin PIMP

#9 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

If I say the one in my brain where his head isn't attached and he's covered in blood; am I considered a hater?

#10 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:   Yes.  :P

@MzombieX:  What I find intriguing about the black suit versions is that fictionally it should hold alot of significance to Namor.  Cause originally it wasn't a costume, but a life saving suit / armor, created by Reed Richards, that Namor HAD to wear, after he had been poisoned by toxic chemical weapons -- so it carries a lot of negative memories, I would think.  But then again, that big ole belt being a personal seal of approval from his god, might offset the negative connotations.  I'd still rather not see him covered up by suit, though. :) 

I loved the Egyptian influence on that Ultimate Namor costume.  That underwater cover for Ultimate FF with the Egyptian statue was one of my favorites.  I have to say, I'm glad they went with that one in particular, as I'd have been less than happy with bald, moustached Namor.  O_O

LOL!  Okay, yes, Namor's air breather pimp clothes are my second favorite 'costume.'  Especially from the Golden Age, like these.

Young Men #24

#11 Edited by MzombieX (975 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rheged:
From what I understand ... that black suit, being designed by Reed, also has the added benefit of keeping him hydrated for 24 hours as if he hadn't left the ocean. 
So I'm sure the appeal of being able to maintain peak power levels when traveling out of water doesn't hurt. 
Although I agree with you that there is always something to be said for the classic green and gold. Those colors carry a certain weight of royalty to them as well as the nostalgia. 
I'll post a couple classic green scale style pics of my own, with trident and throne, as well as a variation on that classic green & gold style with the armored wing blend ... just for the hell of it. 
Maybe I'll even throw in a couple with the recent royal green robes from Civil War ... just to show how the King of Atlantis kicks back when he's bein casual.
Thanks for posting the extra pics. of  Namor in that "other" black suit by the way. That pimpin "old sea dog" ... "hunk of man" LOL  

#12 Edited by MzombieX (975 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rheged: 

Just thought I'd throw this in to go along with those nice sketches you posted. 
Since we all seem to agree the Egyptian influence to the Atlantean architecture is really sharp. 

#13 Posted by Duncan (11440 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the current costume and the ultimate costume was also very cool.

#14 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@MzombieX:  Yes, something like that.  IIRC, the toxins changed Namor's abilitiy to stay out of the water, so without the suit, he would die.  I think Doctor Doom ended up curing Namor of this problem when he cured the comatose Atlanteans.

I'm not usually a fan of robes and cloth underwater, but I did enjoy that casual lounging robe Namor had in that Civil War book ... and loved his anemone throne!  I wish more artists would take advantage of the cool looking sea life when drawing Namor and Atlantis.  And that middle pic from the Tsunami line mini-series you posted had a little of that Egyptian vibe going.  And YES!  That's the Ultimate FF cover I love.  You should tag that pic for the Namor gallery.  I don't think it's in there.

Always happy to share the Namor pics. :)  The Golden Age stuff can be a lot of fun -- especially the 50s Atlas stuff, like that Young Men #24.
#15 Posted by mighty dude (405 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rheged:
What is the Tsnami mini series?
#16 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio
@mighty dude:   Tsunami was an imprint of Marvel Comics in the early 2000s, like Marvel Knights.  It was aimed at Manga readers, supposedly, though it had an odd mix of books.  Runaways started out as a Tsunami title.  I think Mystique and Emma Frost had books too.  This is the Tsunami Namor mini-series.  It was basically teen Namor in love.  GORGEOUSLY illustrated, some of the best undersea scenes ever.  But the romance and the writing was ... not my favorite.  I personally think of it as out of continuity, but I see Marvel tries to cram it in on some write ups.   On topic ... the costume was nice.  Kind of an Ultimate Namor vibe. 

#17 Posted by adamwarner42 (405 posts) - - Show Bio

this is my favorite

#18 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

I was so happy to see this guy at DragonCon!  He gets kudos for being brave enough to wear the classic green trunks, PLUS, that blue fish bag!  Yes!  There was another brave fellow in green trunks who looked very nice and I saw with the Defenders.  Plus one more in the X-Men costume who I saw with the rest of the Dark X-Men team. 

#19 Posted by PowerHerc (81682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rheged said:
"Do you have a pic?  Cause there were many costumes between those two.  Most of them a variation of this one:

"

I always liked the traditional green scaled trunks and gold belt, but this rendition is so good and it translated so well to the Marvel Legends action figure line (wave 2, 2003 - I believe).
#20 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, of all the black costume variations, that one is probably my favorite.  Notice it does not have a collar. :)  But I also liked the gold wings and the big scales on the top.  I believe it was designed by Johnny Romita Sr., who always came up with some classic designs.  Marvel posted the newest costume design for an X-Men alternate universe story line, Age of X, today.   I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.  I've never liked the mid-calf cut offs, and they sort of look like chaps.  But ... it's nice to see him in something closer to the clasic swimming trunks. :)

Age of X

#21 Posted by bgibs13390 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this one. Its a good blend of nobility and power. I like the new one too. 
#22 Posted by doomsilver (643 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the current and ultimate the best.

#23 Posted by Namor1987 (1883 posts) - - Show Bio

@bgibs13390 said:

I like this one. Its a good blend of nobility and power. I like the new one too.

I love this costume along with the collarless one he uses recently, & the X-Men costume

#24 Posted by TDK_1997 (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

@MzombieX said:

This one definitely.

#25 Posted by wkar (199 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like the Phoenix Five one for him.

The shoulder thing looks very regal while maintaining his dude-don't-know-shirts style. I'd like to see him wear a recolored version of this going forward.

#27 Edited by MzombieX (975 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rheged

"I'm not usually a fan of robes and cloth underwater, but I did enjoy that casual lounging robe Namor had in that Civil War book" 

I can see the point of view about cloth robes being an odd choice underwater. 
I guess I don't mind the idea of him wearing them on occasion, for ceremonial purposes, to give him the appearence of nobility. 
I imagine that with the vast knowledge of lost ancient tech and mystic arts the Atlanteans possess, that material like this would be a blend of having magic woven or tech woven sea life incorporated into it. 
Something that would hold up or be practical under the waves; Such as seal/shark skin, or some mythical sea demon skin, with unknown ocean plant fiber mesh ... At least that's how I rationalize it.
#28 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

P5 Namor

that outfit is rather sexy

#29 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Kidding, Kidding! "How does it even stay O.o"

This one

#30 Posted by God_Spawn (37372 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I like how you used my crop :P. And agreed, that image was awesome.

#31 Posted by God_Spawn (37372 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like his Phoenix Five outfit. I was hesitant about them at first, but some of them grew on me. Outside of this extremely short lived P5 outfit I would say his modern x-men one.

#32 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@fodigg: I like how you used my crop :P. And agreed, that image was awesome.

Yeah, I usually just search images on the 'vine when I need 'em.

#33 Posted by hyperman (281 posts) - - Show Bio

definetely the speedo rules, he's a swimmer so that makes a lot of sense, y looks hot as hell!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.