Follow

Namor: The First Mutant

Volume »

Scion of two races, Prince Namor has always been torn between the worlds above and below the waves. Now he must balance his commitments to both the mutants and the Atlanteans.

Review: Namor the First Mutant #2

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Namor's war with the undersea vampires, the Aqueos, gets even more treacherous as a seer reveals that these enemies have ties to Atlantis' royal lineage.

The Good

Ever since that one story in the classic Moore/ Bissette run on Saga of the Swamp Thing, I've always been intrigued by the notion of undersea vampires who're even more twisted and perverted than their land-based cousins.  So it's interesting to see this archetypal, legendary figure taking on creatures he hasn't encountered before, and doesn't quite understand. The bookend scenes of him encouraging the youth to explore his engineering aspirations only for him to get killed were quite chilling, too. And complements must be paid to Olivetti for rendering this prince with such spot-on regal dignity.

The Bad

Namor's been established as having bi-polar mood swings depending on how much time he spends under water or one land, but I was really missing the hot-blooded prince who loves to shout "Imperious Rex!" in this. The whole thing, as a consequence feels a little too low-key and restrained. Also, why I love Olivetti's figures, I never felt like they integrated that well into the digital models he used for the settings.

The Verdict - 3/5

It's undeniably fun to see so many disparate elements of the Marvel universe - - Atlantis, Dracula, and the X-Men - - colliding here. Considering how Namor's the first in Marvel's long tradition of anti-heroes, I'm glad that he's got his own book again -- especially one that's reinterpreted him in the X-Men's larger mythos as the "first mutant." I'm eager to see where this book goes, but I'm hoping it'll get more in touch with the wild days of Namor's youth soon.
    GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By GT-Man

I never knew that namor was a mutant
    Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Sobe Cin
    @GT-Man:
    Something recently established in the last five years or so.  

But seriously for a tie to the Curse of the Mutants storyline. I'm kind of bored. The pace seems a little slow. The story is decent but moving too slowly for an event that has been going on since July in X-Men volume 3.
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rheged
    @Sobe Cin said:
    " @GT-Man: Something recently established in the last five years or so.   But seriously for a tie to the Curse of the Mutants storyline. I'm kind of bored. The pace seems a little slow. The story is decent but moving too slowly for an event that has been going on since July in X-Men volume 3. "
    Try adding a zero to those years.  Namor was established as a mutant in 1964 in X-Men #6, almost 50 years ago.  Namor's earlier ongoing, started in 1990, also featured "Marvel's First and MIghtiest Mutant" on the masthead.  His association with the X-Men is a relatively recent thing, but his status as a mutant is not.
    monkeeboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By monkeeboi

I'm sick of all this Vampire crap! Marvel's just trying to piggy-back off the Twilight nonsense! But out of all the titles in this stupid storyline, this ones my favorite. I've always liked Namor he'd kick Aquaman's teethe in!

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rheged

I've always thought John Byrne's theory about Namor's moods swings was ... unnecessary and did the character a great disservice.  I think many writer ignore it, just as Byrne's sterility theory has been ignored.  Fraction seems to have Namor constantly shouting Imperius Rex in Uncanny, so I'm not missing that at all.  It's nice to see Namor portrayed as sort of character that could hold a throne for 50 years, against enemies within and without Atlantis.  And from the ending, I think you'll get your wish for some Imperius Rex smack down, next issue. :)

I agree with you on Olivetti's art.  I don't always appreciate his backgrounds, but the figures are well rendered.

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Pizawle

I like Namor a lot so all this has to do is satisfy that itch.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sobe Cin
    @Rheged:
    Yes I will agree he has always been suspected as a mutant. But it was confirmed in the Illuminati storyline.
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rheged
    @Sobe Cin:   The covers on the 1990 run of Namor do not say, "Marvel's First and Mightiest SUSPECTED Mutant."  And as far as I know of, a racist like Magneto doesn't ask non-mutants to join the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, like he asked Namor to do so in 1964.  In the House of M storyline from 2005, he's even got a museum dedicated to him as the first known mutant.  Namor is a mutant and has been acknowledged as one since the beginning of the Silver Age.
    harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#9  Edited By harleyquinn12

I just might have to pick this up, I like Stuart Moore, but I'm not too crazy on Olivetti, but I'm really eager to learn about Namor!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.