Follow

Mystique

Character » Mystique appears in 3217 issues.

True to her name, the shape shifting Mystique is an enigma. Is she a mutant terrorist determined to bring about the end of humanity, or a misguided mutant with a good heart?

What Did You Think of Jennifer Lawrence's Portrayal?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_

I have to say that I was really refreshingly surprised. Jennifer Lawrence was probably the casting choice that I was most worried about and it turned out that she was one of my favorite parts of the movie. I love how the incorporated a back story between her and Charles and overall I feel that Jennifer really held her own in this movie.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

She did great..I just wasn't feeling the whole 'victim/nobody will love me as I look' reality they had for Raven Darkholme in the movie.  But Jennifer rocked the part of Raven.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @The Dark Huntress said:

I have to say that I was really refreshingly surprised. Jennifer Lawrence was probably the casting choice that I was most worried about and it turned out that she was one of my favorite parts of the movie. I love how the incorporated a back story between her and Charles and overall I feel that Jennifer really held her own in this movie.

same. i wanted to smack hank during the scene where he tried to get her to take the "Cure"
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

the one thing i didn't get was this, in the movie Raven and Charles were like brother and sister, best friends, they were each other's ONLY friends, i'd say they'd die for one another, yet Raven instantly abandons a fatally wounded charles for a guy she just met like a week ago  (Magneto) just because he gives her a few compliments?? wtf?? i dont care how charming he is or how he thinks her 'true form" is beautiful, her brother is lying on the ground crippled and bleeding! your'e just gonna leave??

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mercy_

@Avenging-X-Bolt: I wanted to scream at him not to take it, cause I knew what was going to happen >_< It was a defining moment for her, though. She finally realized that she shouldn't conform to what she thought everybody else wanted to see, she needed to be her own person.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By joshmightbe
    @The Stegman: Charles told her to go
    Sonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sonata

I thought she did well actually, better than I hoped. Thought the interaction with Beast was good, kinda cheesy but it was good though.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

my only real problem is them killing Darwin cause it didn't even make sense due to his power it just seemed like the typical movie cliche' of killing the black guy, especially since all the white people in the movie aside from Shaw survived  

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @joshmightbe: yeah, cause he loved her and wanted what was best for her (although that path wasn't) but even still, her just leaving her mortally wounded best friend, even if he says do it is pretty messed up
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshmightbe
    @The Stegman: Maybe he made her go because he knew that's what she really wanted. He could do that easily and she wouldn't even know it wasn't her decision 
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @The Stegman said:
    @joshmightbe: yeah, cause he loved her and wanted what was best for her (although that path wasn't) but even still, her just leaving her mortally wounded best friend, even if he says do it is pretty messed up
    She's a villain. She does messed up things.  

@joshmightbe said:
    my only real problem is them killing Darwin cause it didn't even make sense due to his power it just seemed like the typical movie cliche' of killing the black guy, especially since all the white people in the movie aside from Shaw survived  
    That threw me off a lot. 
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joshmightbe
    @InnerVenom123: it completely took me out of the movie for a second my only thought was "typical" 
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@joshmightbe: Darwin isnt necessarily dead. As comicbook fans we know better then most.

No body = Suspicious circumstances/opening for a return.

Loved JL's Mystique interpretation

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @joshmightbe said:
    @InnerVenom123: it completely took me out of the movie for a second my only thought was "typical" 
    I was just weirded out by it. The "kill the black guy" didn't bother me (because I don't even care about that, I care about the character), it was the "HOW CAN HE DIE WITH THAT POWERSET?!". I was thinking he would just turn into a statue and be forced to stay that way for the rest of the movie, and then he just friggin exploded! WTH? The rest was great, however. Easily the best X-men movie IMO. 
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @InnerVenom123:  

yeah but she wasn't a villain at THAT point in time, for the whole movie she was a good guy, an x man 

@joshmightbe:  

yeah, some how i don't see that happening, if so, she should have come back the instant his control over her left, i think she did it of her own free will, which was kinda heartless
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshmightbe
    @InnerVenom123: My point is this is an instance when the "kill the black guy" cliche' overrode the fact that Darwin's powers make him essentially immortal which actually makes it seem even more racist 
    Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jennifer Lawrence is SEXY.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Gambit1024

She's cute.  

I thought she was alright considering what she had to work with. I did have a small problem, but it's not even her fault. I felt that the character development as far as the romance was concerned was done pretty poorly. I felt Mystique and Beast's potential fling could've been a good plot point, but the farthest they went with it was a needle in the arm and a peck on the mouth. I also felt that the relationship between Xavier and Moira was poorly done as well. And they didn't even give us a hint that Mystique would get with Azazel to explain Nightcrawler's true connection with the X-Men. Maybe they'll save that for a potential sequel? Idk, but now I'm starting to rant so's I'll shut up now.  

If you read it, I appreciate it, lol. 

thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By thegreatfour
    @joshmightbe: I was thinking that too. Mainly because I'd watched Aliens recently where they kill the sergeant off really fast, and I usually make jokes about it. Maybe Darwin's ability figured  it was best to survive as an ash pile :P
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By sora_thekey

@The Stegman said:

the one thing i didn't get was this, in the movie Raven and Charles were like brother and sister, best friends, they were each other's ONLY friends, i'd say they'd die for one another, yet Raven instantly abandons a fatally wounded charles for a guy she just met like a week ago (Magneto) just because he gives her a few compliments?? wtf?? i dont care how charming he is or how he thinks her 'true form" is beautiful, her brother is lying on the ground crippled and bleeding! your'e just gonna leave??

If you notice a lot of the movie's relationships were very fast paced. Charles and Erick were the best of friends by the end of the movie and they met at the beginning of the movie. I guess I overlooked that fact because in that short amount of time we watched a lot of time passed for them.

I though Jennifer Lawrence was amazing as Mystique. When it comes to comic books I always like Mystique best when her character is broken. (Which is why I loved Dark X-Men) This movie had the character of Raven broken from the start than "fix" her into the Mystique we know from the movies and a little bit from the comics.

Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Chesapeake

She played a good part in the film.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By fodigg
    @joshmightbe said:

On this, I think it more had to do with the fact that he has a defensive power and they didn't know how to incorporate him into the fight scenes later on. It sucks that they happened to fit the "kill the black guy first" cliche though. Intended or not, that does hurt the movie.

Personally I think they could have done a lot more with the  Alex/Darwin relationship. Here's a guy who can withstand Alex's power, and he's cool and easy-going as well. It's somebody Alex can totally be himself around and not need to worry about being in control at all times. He doesn't need to be a jerk to Darwin to keep him at a safe distance, like how he is with Hank. We see a bit of that friendship with them playing pinball with each other and stuff, but they could have expanded it more. The death would've meant more then because Alex would've been guilt-ridden that it was his power that killed Darwin after all. 

Also, no body, no death. Don't you people read comics? If they ever make a prequel-sequel, my hope is we see Darwin again. 

edit: oh, and on thread topic, yeah she did a great job. I didn't realize her character would be the "tritagonist" (after Prof X and Magneto), but I'm glad they didn't just throw her in there for no reason.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I was very pleasantly surprised.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I thought she did great, she gave Mystique some real presence here, other than just the badass henchwoman she's been in the other X-flicks.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    @The Stegman said:
    the one thing i didn't get was this, in the movie Raven and Charles were like brother and sister, best friends, they were each other's ONLY friends, i'd say they'd die for one another, yet Raven instantly abandons a fatally wounded charles for a guy she just met like a week ago  (Magneto) just because he gives her a few compliments?? wtf?? i dont care how charming he is or how he thinks her 'true form" is beautiful, her brother is lying on the ground crippled and bleeding! your'e just gonna leave??

99/100 women follows the Alpha male. A few compliments are more than enough.
    weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By weaponmaster
    @joshmightbe said:

This amplified. 

Edit: I don't think she looked the art or did a particularly good job. Her face was way too round and puffy, making her look funny in blue form and her acting was very flat.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#27  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @The Stegman said:

She didn't leave for him, Magneto, she left for the cause. She left for herself and essentially for Charles. It was a ethics/morales thing. It wasn't because Magneto flattered her ego. Though that probably helped her trust him, and believe that he was sincere with his words and motives. She also knows he (Xavier) can read her mind, and she trusts him. She was probably still in shock. Who were the people who essentially just put Charles in that position? In her eyes, its probably the humans. It was probably a more painful and harder thing to do to leave him there, but if she felt it was the right thing to do? It echoes real life in what people will endure personally when they really believe in a cause. 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SC  Moderator

As far as characters I felt that were changed significantly for the movie, but still retained a very compelling and interesting characterization that aided the overall movies plot and assisted with other characters roles, I though Mystique was one one if the best if not the best. (As opposed to characters I felt characterization specifically hadn't been changed much) I don't think Jennifer Lawrence looks the part, but thats okay, her performance was awesome and really the most important part about her blue skin look is that she looks different, as opposed to some preconceived notion gained from the comic pages) her role was a lot more softer, and naive, and when I read comics version, I expect to see a hardened and badass type characterization. I don't mind that I didn't get that here though. We know nothing of the comics version experiences of Mystique at that age and I'll be okay if we never know, but one other thing I find the comics could improve on, is stereotyping Raven, I think they could give her a few softer more sympathetic story roles, and so in this sense? The movie more than delivered.  

Anyway, her moments with Beast, (and Havok as well) moments were Xavier, and moments with Magneto were some of my favorite parts of the film. Great part. Better fit for this story. Plus really this is what supporting characters should do in comics. Comics are way too frantic and over the top to have perfect translations for every character. Its just too much badass for one film. How Mystique was used her really, really helped characterize Xavier and Magneto and Beast like they are in the comics. At the expense of the owns character accuracy, but say unlike Rogue in the X-Movies who was rewritten to aid other characters but was sort of dull as a result, Mystique here had depth and was rather interesting and complicated. 

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @SC
    @The Stegman said: 

She didn't leave for him, Magneto, she left for the cause. She left for herself and essentially for Charles. It was a ethics/morales thing. It wasn't because Magneto flattered her ego. Though that probably helped her trust him, and believe that he was sincere with his words and motives. She also knows he (Xavier) can read her mind, and she trusts him. She was probably still in shock. Who were the people who essentially just put Charles in that position? In her eyes, its probably the humans. It was probably a more painful and harder thing to do to leave him there, but if she felt it was the right thing to do? It echoes real life in what people will endure personally when they really believe in a cause.   

if she did leave for the cause, which i'm not so sure she did as it was never established that she believed that humanity was against mutants or that she even truly believed Magneto's way of thinking, it still makes little sense. they clearly said at the beginning that they were all that each other knew, that Charles was her only friend and vice versa, Charles was the first person to every show her kindness and treat her as an equal, they grew up together, and from what i got from the film, Erik came, gave her a few inspirational words, and that was enough to make her cut the ties from Charles??  i'd say later on (in the other movies) she believes in the cause, but from what i seen i this film, it appears she was on the fence at best
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By CellphoneGirl

She did a really great job. Mystique was one of my favorite characters in the movie.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @The Stegman said:

@SC:  if she did leave for the cause, which i'm not so sure she did as it was never established that she believed that humanity was against mutants or that she even truly believed Magneto's way of thinking, it still makes little sense. they clearly said at the beginning that they were all that each other knew, that Charles was her only friend and vice versa, Charles was the first person to every show her kindness and treat her as an equal, they grew up together, and from what i got from the film, Erik came, gave her a few inspirational words, and that was enough to make her cut the ties from Charles??  i'd say later on (in the other movies) she believes in the cause, but from what i seen i this film, it appears she was on the fence at best

You mean like it was never established that she went with Magneto for the reasons you stated? lol *smile* I am not factually one hundred percent sure she left for the cause or the reason I postulated, but its a better, poignant and more respectful reason than thinking she got all hot under the collar for Magneto and so decided to follow her around for puppy love. You get what I am saying? That ambiguity is interesting.  

She doesn't have to truly believe in Magnetos way of thinking, Magneto didn't invent that way of thinking, it could be her own way of thinking, with Magneto being the one that is making the stand, and the declaration. Was anyone who believed in Civil Rights just following Martin Luther King's way of thinking? Or their own with him as leader and influence and inspiration? I think you are undermining the characters issues she already had, prior to her meeting with Magneto, and it was pointed out very early in the movie that she felt that Xavier didn't understand what it was like for her given the differences in their mutations. It wasn't some artificially forced move that brought her way of thinking to echo Magnetos, she was already on that road.  

What you say you got from the film, doesn't make any sense to me, because it ignores above and implies that brothers, friends, always stick together no matter the ethics and morals or politics of the situation., when this is clearly not case. Not only that, Xavier understands/understood this as well and so he encouraged her to not live her life, according to how Xavier understands it and plays by its rules, and his own formed views. Xavier gave her his blessing to live life how she understands it and that he might not agree but they'll still be close in spirit, and have a bond. Its like a brother who is against a war dying at home with cancer telling his brother who wants to fight for his country, to go and fight if thats what is in his heart. Different outlooks in life, but that being okay, and no bonds being broken. 

How I interpret it, is that she started of on the fence but progressively headed towards a way of thinking that was closer philosophically to where Magneto was standing than Xavier, and not just Xavier but Beast as well. She didn't just leave Xavier, she left Beast as well. In its context, it was very poignant. This was her character development arc. I am not sure how it can be considered that she was on the fence the whole movie? Right from the beginning the characters were moving her character with each progressive scene. The alternative is to view her as some horrible sister who is ditzy enough and willing to follow a guy around based on looks and flattery when she is a shapeshifter hung up on superficial beauty compared to inner beauty? I mean, its a choice the viewer gets to make. If how you interpreted is how you interpreted, I can't fault that. I just believe that if you and me, presented our understandings of the above topics to the actress? Director, and script writer, which do you think would be the one that they were aiming for aside from execution? 
    tbone1225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32  Edited By tbone1225

I was kind of confused at their writing of the character, especially because it seems like it really doesn't fit the other movies, but Jennifer Lawrence did some amazing work. She's just a fantastic actress, which she proved in Winter's Bone. In X-Men: First Class, she gets to show something that she didn't show in Winter's Bone, which is look really sexy. I was impressed.

Ebbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ebbm
    @joshmightbe said:
    agreed, it a was a waste of a good character.
    KDarkholme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By KDarkholme

Jennifer did an amazing job portraying Mystique. It was kind of refreshing to me seeing Mystique not so evil.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PrinceIMC

Even though it was probably a Magneto movie first I think she was the second most important character tied with Charles. Which was a nice surprise and she did a great job. Can't wait for Hunger Games now.

Jubilantlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jubilantlad

I absolutely loved her in it.

Seriously, she to me, was the defining character in the film and I loved her scene with her.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HexThis

One thing that I think has been overlooked in the comics is that Raven is older than both Magneto and Xavier as well as being just as intelligent. I've always thought she should fulfill a role similar to theirs so in a way her portrayal in the movies seemed like it would conflict with what I love about her...

HOWEVER 

I loved Mystique's arc in the First Class movie. In the beginning, she's an extension of Charles and while he goes to Oxford she studies "waitressing" living a life where she's passing as a normal civilian. There's sort of a gay metaphor in her relationship with Beast where he rejects their true forms, there's also a body-image metaphor too where Raven is being told to suppress herself, and finally in the end she's empowered in a multitude of ways, I loved it. So in a way, she's as prominent and interesting as Xavier & Magneto.

They must do another movie and Jennifer Lawrence must do more action!! The only thing I would've liked was to see her kick more ass!

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Mystique only went with magneto because charles told her to otherwise she would have stayed(because of that friendship) that's why she went to him first, but charles knew she rather go with magneto who was the only one to truly accepted her blue form(charles was never comfortable with it during the movie, ost kid charles) 
    Mystique and charles realized their friendship had become strained and they were growing apart(especially when charles didn't return her feelings and scolded her often), charles was very oppressive to mystique(that sibling aspect) while magneto wanted her to embrace everything that made her different, she saw the similarities between the two men and found mags to be a better fit  
    Though they should have had a "__months/weeks later" so more time could have passed and the whole friendship between charles, magneto and mystique would have seemed less rushed 

I loved jennifer lawrence as raven, I think she did a great job and she made me want to see a mystique movie(will settle for a brotherhood of mutants movie with her as a front runner) but she did have a fuller face, which didn't bother me and I respect her feelings on the weight subject(she rather look like a woman than a stick) and she was still beautiful and is still an amazing actress

cameronstear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cameronstear

@Mercy_: I thought she was good just to say she is going to be playing her again in X-men Days Of Future Past what are you thoughts

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Onemoreposter

I liked her. She's super sexy.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @InnerVenom123 said:

@The Stegman said:

She's a villain. She does messed up things.  

@joshmightbe said:
    That threw me off a lot. 
    Honestly all they needed to do was have a scene between xavier and mystique where he tries to alter her mind and have magneto point out that she wasn't acting right or let her know charles invaded her thoughts and have her confront charles. Then her willingness to leave him would be more justified and less she just likes magneto, also it would have been a good subplot and would break their bond since it's the ultimate violation. She would still agree to help stop shaw but would add more to her character for why she'd have no issue hurting charles in the first x-men movie.
    Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mega_spidey01

She did a really great job. Mystique was one of my favorite characters in the movie.

plus, she's pretty hot ! i thought Jennifer Lawrence add depth to the character of mystique she was able to show a fragile and emotional side to the character, which is something i've never seen in mystique. since, I've always thought she was just this cold hearted b*tch.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.