Follow

Mystique

Character » Mystique appears in 3217 issues.

True to her name, the shape shifting Mystique is an enigma. Is she a mutant terrorist determined to bring about the end of humanity, or a misguided mutant with a good heart?

Retina Patterns

slvrwolfang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By slvrwolfang

I know that Mystique can imitate a person so well that she can even produce their retina pattern, but how is it she can do this? It's not like you can see a retina pattern with the naked eye...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Taking a wild guess here, but I'd say that she mimics their very DNA. It's why fingerprints also match as well. 

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Taking a wild guess here, but I'd say that she mimics their very DNA. It's why fingerprints also match as well.  "
    The only downside to that theory is if she mimics the DNA of another person wouldn't she lose her mutant powers?
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mercy_
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Taking a wild guess here, but I'd say that she mimics their very DNA. It's why fingerprints also match as well.  "
    The only downside to that theory is if she mimics the DNA of another person wouldn't she lose her mutant powers? "
    Good point. Comic book science explains it, maybe?
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Nova`Prime` said:
    The only downside to that theory is if she mimics the DNA of another person wouldn't she lose her mutant powers? "
    Good point. Comic book science explains it, maybe? "
    Possibly, maybe if she does mimic a person's DNA it doesn't override her X-Gene, which everyone has. So maybe that's how she can keep her powers.
    riri4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By riri4life

Hmmm....and if she can mimic such minute details as retina, how can guys like Wolverine still be able to "sniff" her out when in disguise? You'd think she could mimic a person's scent too.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

There's always going to be loop-holes... but she wouldn't be a very good shapeshifter if she couldn't get through security ;)

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Timandm
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    Good point. Comic book science explains it, maybe?
    Maybe I can help....

She 'mimics' another person's DNA but their DNA does not replace hers entirely...  Else, she would no longer be Mystique and unable to change back...

There are places on DNA which are considered "non-coding" because we don't know what those sections do but they do not appear to hold genes...  So, using comic book like logic, perhaps she mimics their DNA but her own DNA is stored on a section of the new, or mimiced, DNA.  Her power allows her to switch back...  If you think of DNA as code in software, then her code is stored while the mimiced code is being used... When ready to change back, the mimiced code gets stored and her code is ran....
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mercy_

@Timandm: That's the best explanation I've heard by far.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.